Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Malibu vs. Accord vs. Altima

mnb123

Like the Redskins Affliction shirt?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Like the Redskins Affliction shirt?

Sentra was one below the civic. Kinda like a mazda 323 or now the Mazda speed, or back in the day the Toyota Tercel. Civic falls in line with the Altima, and Maxima falls in line with the Accord. Maxima is better then the accord though. Built much better in my eyes.

UH, have you not seen how big an Altima is compared a Civic? My wife owns and Altima and it dwarfs a civic. Her sister owns a Civic so I know how the two stack up in size.

According to the 2 Sites:

Honda Civic:

Length: 177.3

Nissan Sentra:

Length: 179.8

Nissan Altima:

Length 189.8

Both the Sentra and Altima also have more interior room than the Civic.

A Maxima is just a more luxury version of the Altima. But both are on the same level in terms of size. Civic is listed as a compact car and so is a Sentra. Accords and Altimas were both mid-size car ratings. I think an Accord might now be considered full size.

I just looked up Consumer Reports latest ratings for sedans. Number 1 is the Altima V6 (89/100) and #2 is the Accord V6 (88/100). Although the Accord has a higher predicted reliability than the Altima. While the Altima gets better fuel economy. The Malibu is also on the "recommended cars" list but down at 10th.

I personally drive an Accord (03) and very happy with it. My neighbor has a newer Altima and I like the way it looks. Have never driven it though.

Ever consider renting the Accord/Altima/Malibu from Enterprise or a car rental place? Just to drive it around for a day, because how can you really get a feel for your car on 15 minute test drive?

The inside of the Malibu looks cheap to me. You're not going to get as good of resale value than the Accord either.

You are right about resale. I think the new Malibu looks far from cheap on the inside, but that is just personal preference.

I have never been one to be worried about resale when it comes to a car. Reason, by the time I would sell it, the car is paid off. And at that point, its worth more to me than to sell it for a few thousand dollars. Maintaining a relatively inexpensive car once is paid of for is pennies on the dollar. Thus why I will always have a few cars, lol.

About 6 months ago I narrowed my choices to the SAME 3 cars! Cost was relatively the same. I ruled out the Malibu because I didn't like the look.

I liked both the Altima and the accord. Both were fun to drive, both have great reputations. I ended up with the Altima ONLY because I was able to work out a little better deal. And, while I LOVE my Altima, I kind of wish I bought the accord. However - I also know that if I bought the accord, I would have kind of wished I both the Altima...

I think a lot of people overlook this but, take into account how much a car will cost to maintain? In 5.5 years I've spent less than $2,000 to maintain my Accord. And without spending for new tires, that number would be even less.

Although I personally would by American, have you considered a Camry? Those are great.

I have never liked the Camry's for some reason. Plus, my father has had a Toyota Sequoia for the past three years and has had more than a few problems with it, and although people tell me that is not common with Toyota's, it has left a bad taste in my mouth.

The Malibu is the most fuel efficient, safest, rommiest car in its class.

I am a sales manager of a Chevrolet Dealership.

Come see me, before Sunday, and I will give you GM Employee price.

Thanks for the offer, but if I have to make a decision before Sunday I might have a heart attack.

The inside of the Malibu looks cheap to me. You're not going to get as good of resale value than the Accord either.

Really? The Malibu's I test drove were gorgeous inside. I just don't like the exterior as much. The grill looks nice, but from the back it doesn't look as nice.

Resale value is not really a concern to me because I plan on running this thing until it breaks down completely. I'm talking 200,000+ miles.

I have never worried about resale value. I drive a car till the wheels fall off.

I think a lot of people overlook this but, take into account how much a car will cost to maintain? In 5.5 years I've spent less than $2,000 to maintain my Accord. And without spending for new tires, that number would be even less.

When I bought my malibu in Jan I got free routine service including oil changes for 2 years.

When I bought my malibu in Jan I got free routine service including oil changes for 2 years.

Yeah the rebates on the Malibu are unreal right now.

On the table for me is 5 year/100k warantee, $6,000 off the MSRP, 0% financing, roadside maintenance for 2 (or 3, forget off the top my my head) years (inc free oil changes, spare tires, etc), XM radio for 2 years, ONstar w/ navigation for 2 years, and some other things.

I am a Nissan nut and drive and '02 2.5SL Altima, but for a while drove a 3.5 V6.

The car is awesome, but what is really good about the Nissan is the engine. that 3.5L engine is used in pretty much every Nissan & Infiniti they have out there, and the reason why is it is one of the best V6 engines out there and has been for over 10 years. The competitors are catching up, but Nissan set the mark with their VQ series 6 cyl engines. (link to engine article below: note, Ward's is considered the top reviewer of engines)

http://wardsauto.com/reports/2007/tenbest/nissan_3-5L_V-6/

The only major problem I or any other Altima owner I know have had will not be a concern for you since you are buying a newer model.

The older Altima's, like mine had Ford built automatic transmissions in them, and while they might work good with a Ford engine, they suck when mated to a Nissan engine.

Nissan has stopped using these stupid tranny's from Ford (some sort of agreement to get the UAW off their back since the plant in Tenn is non union), and now has CVT for it's automatics, and still uses the quality manual tranmissions they have been using for years. Some people complain about the "weird" sound coming from a CVT, but I am sure that if you are considering buying it, then it is not an issue for you, or maybe your getting a manual.

Either way, my vote is for the Nissan, and if you got some extra coin, take a look at adding some NISMO rims from the dealer, they look freakin sweet!

Yeah the rebates on the Malibu are unreal right now.

On the table for me is 5 year/100k warantee, $6,000 off the MSRP, 0% financing, roadside maintenance for 2 (or 3, forget off the top my my head) years (inc free oil changes, spare tires, etc), XM radio for 2 years, ONstar w/ navigation for 2 years, and some other things.

ever think GM might offer that since they know their cars can not compete with the Japanese models? just a thought. Buy Nissan.

Its called the Total Confidence Package. Its only on the Malibu and Traverse with Chevy, and the GMC Aacadia and Pontiac G6 (same cars pretty much).

2 years of OnStar, 2 years of XM Radio and 2 years of scheduled maintence.

BTW 6K off the MSRP and zero precent is pretty good. If that is a 2009 model, I myself wouldnt even be able to get that price.

Archived