Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Most Feared Tacklers

iwasdoinit

I'm watching this NFL Network special on "Most Feared Tacklers" and I have to respect their choices. However, having seen Sean Taylor during his whole career, I can unequivocally say none of those guys, including Butkus, who was 260 during his playing days, could bring it any harder than Taylor, who absolutely terrorized ball carriers, ball handlers, and receivers during his too-short tenure. Of course this has been discussed but so has every thread on here.

Sorry but the guys they said were deserving over Sean...

I dont know...the op had a chance to actually watch the old timers play. I can see why Sean wasnt on the list being he wasnt in the league that long, but what I think the OP is saying is Sean could hit just as hard as anyone on the list, regarless of how long he played.

What were the players listed??

I'm sure, during his short time, 21's fear was indicated through player polls.

How quick people forget :(

It was a blessing to watch Sean Taylor play. I'm proud to have been apart of it. Its such a sad story, though. What makes it so hard is that.. those who watched knew the story was meant to be great..

Sean Taylor was the best. I agree with the OP. It sucks that he'll be overlooked. I'm sure even the players easily forget the fear they had when they knew 21 was out there at safety.

It's a good list...Sean definitely brought it though. Just ask his peers, he was a feared tackler, and many said you had to know where he was on the field. I think Torry Holt said it once. It didn't say who had a long career of being a feared tackler..but did the man leave a mark?, make an impact? and was known for being a big hitter? for the short time he was playing. yes! Was he one of the overall greatest safeties of all time? no, but he may have been. We'll never know. Freakishly gifted athlete with db speed and lb size.

However, having seen Sean Taylor during his whole career, I can unequivocally say none of those guys, including Butkus, who was 260 during his playing days, could bring it any harder than Taylor

That must be some powerful stuff you're smoking.

It's a tough job to try to narrow down all the heavy hitters from all the decades of players who have played. I don't envy the task at all. I watch some of those films from back in the day,(the few they show from back when Sammy played and such),and you see just how wild it was and then you watch today's games. The guys are bigger,stronger hitters,but that can't take away from those guys in the past. I think that Sean was probably,even in his short time in the NFL,ahead of Lynch,(who was no doubt a feared hitter). Now if they want to talk about some longer careers,I'll play homer here and say that......(let some of the younger ones guess at this one),there was a Redskin DB who I think was every bit,if not moreso,of a feared hitter,(knowing that's up to those who played against these big hitters),than a few on that list.

I'll take my guess. Ken Houston?

Yep. He was a big hitter and one of the league's best,(some may say best for some years),safeties. All due respect to Mr. Lynch,Ken was a better saftey. Honorable mention to Alvin Walton by the way. :)

Oh. And Chris Hanburger was no slouch either. Right there with Lambert when it comes to the great LB's.

Yep. He was a big hitter and one of the league's best,(some may say best for some years),safeties. All due respect to Mr. Lynch,Ken was a better saftey. Honorable mention to Alvin Walton by the way. :)

I was wrong but I think that Alvin was more feared than Houston as a hitter.

The list was:

10. John Lynch

9. Steve A****er

8. Jack Lambert

7. Ray Lewis

6. Jack Tatum

5. Hardy Brown

4. Ronnie Lott

3. Lawrence Taylor

2. "Night Train " Lane

1. Dick Butkus

I'm surprised Chuck Bednarik, Mike Curtis and Ray Nitschke aren't on that list.

pfft! Walton wasn't even the best 'Skin to wear the number 40!

My bad. Forgot about that legend of the gridiron. ;)
I'm surprised Chuck Bednarik, Mike Curtis and Ray Nitschke aren't on that list.

Great point. Hell Chuck probaby should have made the list simply because of that hit he made on Frank Gifford. *shudder*. And Ray because because he could knock a player out of his cleats just by looking at him.

Archived