Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Most Feared Tacklers

iwasdoinit

Can we all at least agree that if Sean wasnt killed he would have been in the top 5 of this list?? I mean add another 8-10 years of bone jarring, eye popping assaults on guys to his already impressive resume and I dont see how he couldnt be top 5.

I agree he shouldnt be on the list bc everyone on the list had a full career to be judged on. But pound for pound, regardless of how long he played, he is the hardest hitter Ive seen.

My sentiments exactly. The list didn't stipulate any longevity provisions. I just gave my opinion. And I don't smoke...anything.

I would have thought Sam Huff would be on that list. Another of my favorites who probably doesn't deserve to be on the list, but used to like taking heads off was Pat Fisher. The little guy would hit anyone as hard as he could. I remember him taking Harold Carmichaels head off more than once.

No offense, but you guys need to get off the Sean Taylor high horse. He wasn't even a better safety than Ed Reed, but to compare him to guys like Lawrence Taylor? LOL

Hands down, Lawrence Taylor is the most feared defensive player to ever put on a helmet. Maybe it was the cocaine, but the guy was a beast.

No offense, but you guys need to get off the Sean Taylor high horse. He wasn't even a better safety than Ed Reed, but to compare him to guys like Lawrence Taylor? LOL

Hands down, Lawrence Taylor is the most feared defensive player to ever put on a helmet. Maybe it was the cocaine, but the guy was a beast.

This list is about most feared tacklers. Ed Reed could play for another 10 years and shouldnt be considered a better tackler than ST. Ed Reeds the better all around player though in my opinion.

This list is about most feared tacklers. Ed Reed could play for another 10 years and shouldnt be considered a better tackler than ST. Ed Reeds the better all around player though in my opinion.

Ed Reed has had a better career and he started fast. But he also had a much longer career. He's probably a little better in zone coverage and he's got fantastic hands and he's a punt returner when he gets the ball. All of those things he had on Taylor (even though we'll never know). He's also a great special teamer but so was Sean. But those are the only aspects of the position that I think he was better than Sean at by year 4 of Sean's career.

Also that's me trying to take the play of the rest of his phenomenal defense out of the equation, because Taylor never had a legitimate defensive line and pass rusher in front of him during his career and we didn't put the pieces of an elite secondary into place until the year he died. Those things Reed has had since he came into the league. The best pass rusher and scheme changer Taylor got was Lavar and he didn't do a whole lot those seasons. Other than that it was solid guys like Antonio Pierce and Marcus Washington and very competent Shawn Springs and that was it.

Switch their teams and Taylor's interception numbers would dwarf Reed's. God it's frustrating and unproductive to think about but it would have been the most exciting and beautiful thing in sports to see what Taylor could do in our defense today--next to Landry, Hall, and Rogers, playing behind a frightening defensive line including Orakpo and Haynesworth, and a steady linebacker corps with Fletcher and McIntosh.

There are too many guys to game plan for in that defense, it would have been unstoppable--one of the alltime great units. Of course if Sean was still alive, we might never have gone out and signed Hall or Haynesworth, Gibbs might have coached last year, and the whole team would look different.

Since his career was so brief we have to go back to arguments on potential and what he did in his college years. Sean was the most complete and exciting safety prospect coming from college that I can remember. Probably in the last twenty years. His ceiling was higher than anyone else's by about a mile.

I would DEFINETELY put Sean Taylor on that list, and many of you agree and many of you disagree. I do know alot of you dont care either way what my opinion is but Ill tell you this.

KNOWING WHAT I KNOW NOW I WOULD STILL TAKE ST FOR 4 YEARS OVER ANY ONE ON THAT LIST FOR 10 PLUS WITHOUT HESITATION

HAIL SKINZ!

I would DEFINETELY put Sean Taylor on that list, and many of you agree and many of you disagree. I do know alot of you dont care either way what my opinion is but Ill tell you this.

KNOWING WHAT I KNOW NOW I WOULD STILL TAKE ST FOR 4 YEARS OVER ANY ONE ON THAT LIST FOR 10 PLUS WITHOUT HESITATION

HAIL SKINZ!

Then you have serious problems. Probably an OSU fan too, I am assuming?

My personal all time favorite from another team and maybe just ever, was Steve A****er.

He changed what the SS spot was specifically to handle Christian Okoya, when he was running through every single player in the league and nothing could stop them. Not to mention Marty also had Marcus Allen (the best short yardage back) and Bo Jackson around the same time and overlapping playing years. That is where Marty Ball came from. With those three on one roster, you can basically just run every single down and nothing could stop you.

Except Steve A****er. Okoya quit, because of one hit from the guy and he was something like a 280 lbs RB with speed.

HAIL SKINZ!

That's interesting...

Take the Moorman hit out and you could add 5 different ones. The Jerry Porter hit against Oakland was his hardest. If you watch it in slow motion the guys eyes poke out of his head like this guy....

oh, i know he could bring it. outside of the crayton hit to seal the dallas game, i think his best hit may have been the rudi johnson hit in '04. johnson on a stretch play to the left, w/ st rifling thru would be blockers and managing to hit him full speed in crowded space.

Alot of you will disagree with me and I may have serious problems, but in my opinion Sean Taylor was second to NO ONE. Im not taking away from these players and I think they are amazing football players, but I have never seen one player approach the game as if it were the last game he was ever going to play. I stand by my statement, Sean Taylor did not have the potential to be special, HE WAS SPECIAL, in even the short term that he was here. I also believe that even though we didnt win the super bowl in 2007, it was one of the greatest and worst seasons in WASHINGTON REDSKINS history.

i don't know that the moorman hit really counts. yeah, it was a great hit and funny to watch, but it was a punter in the pro bowl. the only guy going full speed was taylor.

Moorman was running full speed as well. However, he is a punter. His full speed is a lot like my girls' 3 year old daughter running. :laugh:

oh, i know he could bring it. outside of the crayton hit to seal the dallas game, i think his best hit may have been the rudi johnson hit in '04. johnson on a stretch play to the left, w/ st rifling thru would be blockers and managing to hit him full speed in crowded space.

Yep. And that hit against Pittsburgh on the sidelines his rookie season. I believe it was Verron Haynes he hit or maybe Willie Parker. WOW. Loved it!

Archived