Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chess Strategies

Thinking Skins

Which FIVE of these cartoons are the best?  

308 members have voted

1. 1. Which FIVE of these cartoons are the best?

• Full Metal Alchemist
    • Darkwing Duck
    • Inpector Gadget
    • Beavis and Butthead
    • The Simpsons
    • Space Ghost Coast to Coast
    • Daria
    • Duckman
    • Voltron
    • He-Man and the Masters of the Universe

Where are some good sites to play chess online? I used to go to yahoo, but they kept leaving mid-game.

Chess.com is good. They have moderators and most people behave.

You can play shorter games and also in a 'correspondence' style where you have a day or more time limit to make a move and so can have dozens of games going simultaneously, just logging on once a day to make a move.

.....(1) get a book such as Logical Chess Move By Move by Irving Chernev. It provides annotated example games which are selected to cover the basic concepts......
What is your favorite readable book on analyzing style of an opponent?

also

Any good tips or stories on Psychological Ploys used in FTF play?

All Hail the Master

:allhail:

What is your favorite readable book on analyzing style of an opponent?

also

Any good tips or stories on Psychological Ploys used in FTF play?

Playing strong moves is the best first plan :)

But Chess For Tigers by Simon Webb is not a bad read.

I'm trying to get back into playing chess. I used to be a pretty good player back in the day (top 3rd grader in DC baby!!).

Lately, I've been watching a lot of games and I'll probably get back into playing just for fun, but what are some of the principles you use to help look two and three moves ahead or to set up your opponent? I have the hardest time setting up the game tree right now.

Hey man! Welcome back!

It usually takes a few weeks to a few months to get your feel for the game back. I'm not the most amazing player but I can hold my own. I'd say to just play play play. Online games let you get a whole bunch of games against different players under your belt. I think once you start playing regularly, you'll see the patterns again very quickly.

I play blitz a lot (2 minute time limit). So there isn't much time to think out there so you can't really analyze every permutation or else you'd lose. And I like it better than long format games because it tests your "chess memory" (what's worked in the past and what hasn't).

I recommend chess.com. Most of it's free and they have tutorials, and historical Maters' games. Yahoo games is good too.

Good luck and PM me if you ever want to get a game in.

This may sound stupid, but i actually get nervous when playing online, I play on xbox live. I like the game a lot and I can hold my own, but i get mopped up by better people who can frustrate me. Good sportsmanship by my opponent can actually keep me in a game. Not as in him letting up on me, but just being nice to me makes me play better. I know, sounds dumb, but getting me out of my game kills me fast, and also people who will chat with you during a game, makes it hard for me to concentrate on the whichh move in a set of moves im doing or want to do next.

While moving the queen pawn first is a fine move, getting the queen out early is a rookie mistake and will get you crushed against semi-competent opposition. :)

If you want to play for a quick kill against unskilled opponents, move the pawn in front of the king, stick the light squared bishop on c4 (Queen Bishop 4), send the queen to h5 (king's rook 5) or f3 (king's knight 3). This threatens checkmate on f7 (Black's king bishop 2).

It's another of those 'patterns' - this one called Scholar's mate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scholar%27s_mate

If your opponent doesn't fall for it you can always dump the knight on f3, castle and not have an awful position. Still, playing with the assumption that your opponent is a moron usually only works with friends and family. :)

When I play as black and against less experienced opponents. One of my favorite defenses is

1. E4 -- D5

2. e4xd5-- Qxd5

getting my Queen out and watching white try to capture her, wasting time and not developing his pieces. It's made for some interesting games.

I played tournament chess way back for a couple years during the Fischer-Spassky-Karpov heydey, influenced by my two offcial nerd budddies, and was hoping to make expert (they were class A and moving up) which is still below master, grandmaster, and international grandmaster (as it went back then if memory serves). I remember liking the book Chess Praxis by Nimzovich, which is very dated I'm sure and he was an eclectic choice of a favorite even 35 years ago. But I haven't played more than a few games in decades and rmeber next to nothing otherthan basic techniques. My master level aquaintences had an impressive panoply of set series of moves, all with names (like the Ruiy Lopez mentioned earlier) for various development, attack, and defense goals, all subject to their opponents specific responses. Each set series (like a Nimzo-Indian defense) including tried-and-true variations at various points of implementation to adapt to individuality of in-game action. It was often careful and precise choreography mixed with expecienced "improvisation." Sounds like Corgaigh knows what's up in this topic, not surprisingly.

I used to play. I won the championship in my 8th grade. I don't read about it or anything, but I generally play a pretty good game. My weakness is I take too long to move (but that's becaus I want to win). I've never played with a time clock.

I remember having a lot of fun with team speed chess using the timers/clocks.

Andy and I were the "bad seeds" in the chess club and the tournaments, with our friends Wayne (Expert) & Travis (Class A) & George (Class A) being the nerds. We were all 16-18 years old.

We sometimes talked other young dudes into carousing, being rowdy, and generally engaging in various corrupt and disreputuable endeavors until the club elders banished us from their events (it didn't take at first). :D

I remember having a lot of fun with team speed chess using the timers/clocks.

Andy and I were the "bad seeds" in the chess club and the tournaments, with our friends Wayne (Expert) & Travis (Class A) & George (Class A) being the nerds. We were all 16-18 years old.

We sometimes talked other young dudes into carousing, being rowdy, and generally engaging in various corrupt and disreputuable endeavors until the club elders banished us from their events (it didn't take at first). :D

I used to sit in geometry and play chess with this guy in the next row. We played with pencil and paper - erasing and writing in our moves.

I didn't do as well in geometry as I should have. I don't know why :silly:

What is it a guy like Gary Fisher has that others don't?

Is Gary Fisher like some super hybrid of Gary Kasparov and Bobby Fischer?

:chair:

Edit to attempt a helpful answer: :)

Neither are necessarily more intelligent than other chess masters who play nowhere near their standard. The very top grandmasters have a total obsessive commitment to playing the game over many years and a supreme arrogance and self-confidence to go with it.

Kasparov says that chess is a form of mental torture that you subject yourself to. Throughout a top level game you are walking a tightrope between forcing home a small advantage and screwing up and losing the game. You play under a time control (typically 40 moves in 90 minutes) so that you have to decide how much of this time resource you spend analyzing variations - if you take too long you lose on time and it's an automatic loss. But if you don't work out all the risks in a line before you commit to it you could easily miss something and throw away the game too. It takes a special mindset to play at the level they did under those conditions, but other top grandmasters such as Topalov, Anand, Svidler and others are close.

When I play as black and against less experienced opponents. One of my favorite defenses is

1. E4 -- D5

2. e4xd5-- Qxd5

getting my Queen out and watching white try to capture her, wasting time and not developing his pieces. It's made for some interesting games.

That initial sequence leads to the Scandinavian Defense and there is a fair amount of theory behind it. Usually after 3 Nc3 Black will place the Queen back on d8 or on a5 where she doesn't get hassled.

That initial sequence leads to the Scandinavian Defense and there is a fair amount of theory behind it. Usually after 3 Nc3 Black will place the Queen back on d8 or on a5 where she doesn't get hassled.

I go a5 (after 3. Nc3)... just leads to more open play which I enjoy.

Do you have one of those upgraded memberships on Chess.com? Is it worth it?

Archived