Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chess Strategies

Thinking Skins

Which FIVE of these cartoons are the best?  

308 members have voted

1. 1. Which FIVE of these cartoons are the best?

• Full Metal Alchemist
    • Darkwing Duck
    • Inpector Gadget
    • Beavis and Butthead
    • The Simpsons
    • Space Ghost Coast to Coast
    • Daria
    • Duckman
    • Voltron
    • He-Man and the Masters of the Universe

Is this the same as Fischer chess?

I remember reading how one of the Polgar sisters used to spend time playing Fischer in this chess variation. I would have liked to have seen some of those games.

Yes, it seems to be called Fischer Chess, Fischer Random, 960 Chess and every combination.

It's tough to get used to because there are new threats that didn't exist before. Such in the layout I posted by White playing c4 or Black playing c5 exposes a threat by the bishop. The pawn on h2/h7 is undefended with the rook on g1/g8.

Even though you know it's there, it's hard to remember it as you expect the rook to be defending the h pawn.

Yes, it seems to be called Fischer Chess, Fischer Random, 960 Chess and every combination.

It's tough to get used to because there are new threats that didn't exist before. Such in the layout I posted by White playing c4 or Black playing c5 exposes a threat by the bishop. The pawn on h2/h7 is undefended with the rook on g1/g8.

Even though you know it's there, it's hard to remember it as you expect the rook to be defending the h pawn.

Oh yeah, I can imagine the difficulty of this variation. It surely creates some inspirational chess, but I am sure it can be a little messy at times.

BTW, do you play at any of the clubs around the DC area? NIH? The downtown US Chess Center club? Arlington?

Oh yeah, I can imagine the difficulty of this variation. It surely creates some inspirational chess, but I am sure it can be a little messy at times.

BTW, do you play at any of the clubs around the DC area? NIH? The downtown US Chess Center club? Arlington?

In some respects it is like games played with a thematic irregular opening, such as 1. Na3. Much of your opening book knowledge is irrelevant, but still the general principles apply, it's just there are unfamiliar gotchas everywhere, because the familiar patterns don't exist. It's also strange getting familiar with castling all the way across the board and with pieces still located in the outside files.

I'm out west and have considered Arlington, but they meet on Fridays and at the end of a work week I'd rather be having a beer, a curry and a movie then playing competitive chess. :)

I've played a little locally over the board in Leesburg with some other folks in a Meetup group, but mainly online.

In some respects it is like games played with a thematic irregular opening, such as 1. Na3. Much of your opening book knowledge is irrelevant, but still the general principles apply, it's just there are unfamiliar gotchas everywhere, because the familiar patterns don't exist. It's also strange getting familiar with castling all the way across the board and with pieces still located in the outside files.

I'm out west and have considered Arlington, but they meet on Fridays and at the end of a work week I'd rather be having a beer, a curry and a movie then playing competitive chess. :)

I've played a little locally over the board in Leesburg with some other folks in a Meetup group, but mainly online.

Sure, that makes sense. I guess you can also try to transpose to openings or position which is a little bit more comfortable for you as well.

I used to play Friday night games at Arlington, but I haven't done it for years. NIH has a very good club, too, but I have a feeling that's a prohibitive drive for you on a Wednesday night!

I should start playing again, but I am having fun trying to get back into studying the game a bit more seriously (which will take a while).

Allright, so when are Baculus and Corcaigh going to play? Let the trash talking commence, this has been entirely too civil :silly:

I am just now getting back into chess, so I don't think I would be ready for any serious games any time soon. :D For now, we are just having a civil, friendly exchange of ideas!

Ok, here's a game I just lost. What's the best move for black here? Notice the Queen is putting me in check. I moved the knight to block (which turned out to be a HORRIBLE move) - had the game not been timed, I wouldn't have done that. I probably would've advanced a pawn (e6). Is that the best move though?

Yeah Nc6 isn't terrible at all. If White responds with KxB, then Nxc2! and you win his rook and a pawn.

Archived