Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thunderbirds or Blue Angels?

Zguy28

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Blue Angels have cooler looking jets. Obviously, both teams are pretty ballsy flyers who put on a spectacular show. The Thunderbirds were amazing Sunday at Andrews.

I'd be interested in someone with real knowledge about both to tell us which does more precise flying.

Gotta go with the Angels simply based on the fact that I have never seen the Thunderbirds.

On a side note: I do think the Angels and T-Birds are somewhat of a sideshow and for our government to be paying these guys to do this is a total waste of funds.

Gotta go with the Angels simply based on the fact that I have never seen the Thunderbirds.

On a side note: I do think the Angels and T-Birds are somewhat of a sideshow and for our government to be paying these guys to do this is a total waste of funds.

I see your point, it does seem frivilous, but consider how many of America's best aviator's might have decided to fly a plane because they saw a "Blue Angels" show back in the day? Some kid was sitting there saying to himself "I want to be that guy."

Who knows what techniques the Angles learned through practicing, and trial and error over the years, that may have been applied to combat. :whoknows:

I disagree that it is a waste of funds- I'd say those two organizations have done as much or more to build up public goodwill towards the military than anything else.

And when taxpayers have a say in the budget, that's a good thing.

BTW- I like the Blue Angels. They do what they do, + land on carriers at night in rough seas. Suck it Air Force- you and your pansy runways. :)

Thing is, I always think...these guys aren't even the best or they would not be here at a football game.

Sell me a video for 14.99 that shows me real footage of amazing pilots, doing what they do best. If I had kids I would love for them to see that.

(I love having all of the cable stations, tons of stuff like this to show your kids)

Thing is, I always think...these guys aren't even the best or they would not be here at a football game.

Sell me a video for 14.99 that shows me real footage of amazing pilots, doing what they do best. If I had kids I would love for them to see that.

(I love having all of the cable stations, tons of stuff like this to show your kids)

sorry bro but they ARE the best and you have to try out and then be selected to fly for them. these pilots you see landing on the USS Whatever arent even close to having the same talent that these guys do.

you even have to get lucky enough to get orders to be a mechanic for the blue angels.

I disagree that it is a waste of funds- I'd say those two organizations have done as much or more to build up public goodwill towards the military than anything else.

And when taxpayers have a say in the budget, that's a good thing.

Paying pilots to put on a show like Barnum and Bailey makes more sense than lets say...

Too few options.

I get the public thing. So have them in cities around the Country for Memorial day and such.

I used to go to the Montgomery County Fair every year and the Military was proudly represented.

And I indeed loved the live show. However, I have never met a space explorer, but it would be a cool thing to do. I saw it on PBS.

sorry bro but they ARE the best and you have to try out and then be selected to fly for them. these pilots you see landing on the USS Whatever arent even close to having the same talent that these guys do.

you even have to get lucky enough to get orders to be a mechanic for the blue angels.

They are the best at tricks. If they were the best combat fighters they wouldn't have a website with their tour dates like a rock band.

The luck being a mechanic is that you are not going into a dire circumstance unless situations are ...let's say desperate.

Maybe its a recruiting tool to get people to join the Navy or Air Force?

They are the best at tricks. If they were the best combat fighters they wouldn't have a website with their tour dates like a rock band.

The luck being a mechanic is that you are not going into a dire circumstance unless situations are ...let's say desperate.

you are really being silly here.

these "tricks" they pull are based on maneuvers. but when was the last time there was a real dogfight?

this is how pilots are broken down. fighters are the best, then bombers, then pilots who are able to land on carriers. when you see helo or pilots of aircraft that dont land on carriers it is because they didnt pass quals.

to say that they are ONLY good at pulling tricks is a joke. these guys are military and ALL of them come from forward deploying squadrons. you dont go to pilot school to become a blue angel. you go to school once you have qualified and are selected from the thousands who try out.

desperate? WTF are you even talking about? do you know how good it looks on a resume to say you were a mechanic in something as prestige as the blue angels?

I dont know if you even know what you are talking about here but there is nothing fake about the angels or thunderbirds. those guys are the best of the best and all of them look at those pilots like it is a badge of honor to be selected.

you are really being silly here.

these "tricks" they pull are based on maneuvers. but when was the last time there was a real dogfight?

this is how pilots are broken down. fighters are the best, then bombers, then pilots who are able to land on carriers. when you see helo or pilots of aircraft that dont land on carriers it is because they didnt pass quals.

to say that they are ONLY good at pulling tricks is a joke. these guys are military and ALL of them come from forward deploying squadrons. you dont go to pilot school to become a blue angel. you go to school once you have qualified and are selected from the thousands who try out.

desperate? WTF are you even talking about? do you know how good it looks on a resume to say you were a mechanic in something as prestige as the blue angels?

I dont know if you even know what you are talking about here but there is nothing fake about the angels or thunderbirds. those guys are the best of the best and all of them look at those pilots like it is a badge of honor to be selected.

And they are a legitmate squadron that can be rapidly retooled and deployed if need arises. At least that's the case with the Thunderbirds.

Not sure about the Blues since they fly F18A's which I think aren't in combat service anymore.

I'm ex Navy so I'm partial to the Blues. And everything that BigMike said is spot on. Both services use these teams as recruiting tools and only the best get to be on those teams. I would have loved to have done a tour with the Blues if I had stayed in.

And they are a legitmate squadron that can be rapidly retooled and deployed if need arises. At least that's the case with the Thunderbirds.

Not sure about the Blues since they fly F18A's which I think aren't in combat service anymore.

The jets that the Blues fly just need a few modifications to be combat ready again.

I gotta stand up and say I like the Thunderbirds better. Although that's not taking anything away from the Blues who are awesome as well.

Matter of fact, I will be watching the Blue Angels practice on Friday from the roof of my building at work. :D

I'll try to get some pics and post them.

all you need to do with the blue angels to get them fully fwd deployed is repaint them and send them on their way.

Having seen both, many, many times I have to go with the Thunderbirds just because they have the better aircraft for shows. I'm talking performance, not looks. (looks being pure opinion)

BTW, Have you ever seen a jet do a power slide? I have.

Watching the thunderbirds practice at Langley from right under a turn point. At the end of his run, bleeding off speed seemingly almost to a stop with the nose up, he threw the rudder over and went into a tight turn to dive back on the same line he just followed. I swear, it was almost like the nose stayed in the same spot while the tail swung around. My jaw just dropped. I had never seen that at a show because the turn point is at least a mile from the field.

:notworthy

Blue Angels all the way. Kinda partial because I grew up within view of PAX river and joined the Marine Corps (Mens Department of the Navy). I will be watching them on Saturday, it will be my first Airshow I have ever been to, I'm so excited. I feel like a kid waiting impatiently for Christmas.

Archived