Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AL Pitcher forced to...hit?

jrockster21

This is pretty interesting - an error on the lineup card forced the Tampa Bay Ray's Andy Sonnanstine into batting.

click link for full article.

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- An error on the Tampa Bay Rays' official lineup card forced starting pitcher Andy Sonnanstine to bat in Sunday's game against Cleveland.

The Rays listed Ben Zobrist and Evan Longoria as the third baseman on the card given to the umpires before the start of the game. Longoria was supposed to be the designated hitter.

The pitcher had an RBI double.

Personally I think the DH should be expanded to the NL, but hey, it's just my opinion. That's a minimum of three wasted at-bats a game, where the opponent is just given the advantage. Make it harder on the opposing pitcher, add a DH.

I agree... I always say if you are able to throw a ball at someone, you better be willing to have the ball thrown back at you.

I wonder if that would actually cut down on HBP's, or increase brawls, due to the additional opportunities for direct revenge,

I agree... I always say if you are able to throw a ball at someone, you better be willing to have the ball thrown back at you.

Exactly. Nothing worse than seeing Pedro Martinez throwing at guys while he was in the AL all those years. I don't recall him doing that in the NL. Gee, I wonder why?:laugh:...The DH is a joke. Period.

I have no problem with pitchers "accidentally" throwing at batters and receiving no penalty if the the batters are given the same grace for "accidentally" loosing control of their bat the same or next pitch that happens to "accidentally" hit the pitcher in the head.

My preference is to eject anyone in BB hitting someone regardless. As much as I enjoy hockey I recognize the stupid fighting is what has relegated the sport to the same level as "professional" wrestling.

I have no problem with pitchers "accidentally" throwing at batters and receiving no penalty if the the batters are given the same grace for "accidentally" loosing control of their bat the same or next pitch that happens to "accidentally" hit the pitcher in the head.

My preference is to eject anyone in BB hitting someone regardless. As much as I enjoy hockey I recognize the stupid fighting is what has relegated the sport to the same level as "professional" wrestling.

There is no way you could eject every pitcher for hitting a batter. There's no way to tell if it was intentional or not, in most cases. Some pitchers are just wild. Some like to throw inside, and occasionally get it too far inside.

Plus, that's one of the great things about baseball, when one teams' guy gets hit a few times, you then have the opposing team's pitcher plunk one of their guys. The game polices itself. And if no one is throwing at anyone's head, there's nothing wrong with it.

I can recall when John Wettland once had to go in and take an AB during a game once that went into extra innings....1997 when he was on the Rangers....of course his situation was a little different since the Rangers had ran out of available PH's. Wetteland ended up with the GW-hit.

But, it's true: pitchers should go to the plate. We see pitchers nowadays who are good hitters (Owings, Zambrano, Mike Hampton before he got injured).

I can recall when John Wettland once had to go in and take an AB during a game once that went into extra innings.....

Dude you just gave me good Yankee memories, of some of the best Yankee pitching ever. Before Mariano Rivera was the closer.....and it was Rivera as the Set-Up Man, and Wetteland the closer......that combo was probably one of the best ever.

I'm a DH supporter. There are very FEW pitchers who can hit anywhere over .200. They get paid to throw the ball, not hit. They could care less half the time unless runners are on base and then they bunt/sacrifice. DH prolongs careers of good hitters. It gives you a big bat in the lineups. Offense sells nowadays, not defense. I Know there are traditionalists who will bring up the double switch, but really, how often does that happen? I want the rules to be the same for both leagues. The NL has a huge advantage during the regular season and the WS against the AL as their pitchers bat all year long. I'd rather have a gimpy Ken Griffey Jr. DHing then some sappy pitcher batting .136.

I'm a DH supporter. There are very FEW pitchers who can hit anywhere over .200. They get paid to throw the ball, not hit. They could care less half the time unless runners are on base and then they bunt/sacrifice. DH prolongs careers of good hitters. It gives you a big bat in the lineups. Offense sells nowadays, not defense. I Know there are traditionalists who will bring up the double switch, but really, how often does that happen? I want the rules to be the same for both leagues. The NL has a huge advantage during the regular season and the WS against the AL as their pitchers bat all year long. I'd rather have a gimpy Ken Griffey Jr. DHing then some sappy pitcher batting .136.
I am a traditionalist. I do not care about double switches, I just like seeing pitchers hit. You can no more convince of the benefits of the DH than I can convince you that it is bad for baseball. One thing ALL people agree on is that managing in the NL requires more thought. Each league has their rule and I am fine with it.

By the way, the NL absolutely does NOT have any advantage during the season and in the WS. As evidenced by the AL winning 52% of interleague games and going 11-7 in the WS since 1990.

I wonder if that would actually cut down on HBP's, or increase brawls, due to the additional opportunities for direct revenge,

Seems to me like there are alot less brawls in NL compared to AL. Possibly because pitchers in AL don't care about hitting people since they're not gonna get hit.

I am a traditionalist. I do not care about double switches, I just like seeing pitchers hit. You can no more convince of the benefits of the DH than I can convince you that it is bad for baseball. One thing ALL people agree on is that managing in the NL requires more thought. Each league has their rule and I am fine with it.

By the way, the NL absolutely does NOT have any advantage during the season and in the WS. As evidenced by the AL winning 52% of interleague games and going 11-7 in the WS since 1990.

I agree with you, I love watching NL games (probably because I grew up watching the Braves) so much more than AL games. There is so much more strategy in NL, like am I going to leave in this pitcher because he's pitching well, even tho we're down 1, etc.? It's just much more entertaining to me, plus seeing a pitcher knock a HR is awesome lol.

That the NL has an advantage is clear, and your numbers don't prove otherwise. Who knows how many more games the AL would have won without the disadvantage?

Dude you just gave me good Yankee memories, of some of the best Yankee pitching ever. Before Mariano Rivera was the closer.....and it was Rivera as the Set-Up Man, and Wetteland the closer......that combo was probably one of the best ever.

I don't know whether I should be proud of myself or not...considering how much I detest the Yankees. But that was a great 1-2 combo....if only the stupid Nats had tolerable bullpen guys

Archived