Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why The Shortage of Heyer Fans?

Chiefinonhaze

I think I'm one of the few that didn't see a hole on the RT positon of our offensive line. What I saw was this: A 25 year old with already 12 career starts under his belt, who is physically a beast but sometimes blows assignments. Under him, a seasoned veteran in Jansen who isn't what he used to be, but can come in an do his job.

I didn't see Campbell getting pressured like he was when Heyer was in, the pressure usually came from Jansen getting trucked. Heyer is a better pass blocker than Jansen, but could improve his run blocking. That sholdn't be hard with the upgrades we should have at the Guard position(Dockery, Rhineharts progression).

There are also a few reasons why we should root for this guy:

-He's only 25. I remeber some people on this board wanted to aquire somebody's backup tackle, I forget the name. Let groom our own guys, he has already started 12 games.

- He had Portis' back against the Cardinals. He jacked up that one guy because he was playing dirty. Yeah a TD got called back, but its nice to see he has that mean streak needed for an offensive lineman.

- He is from Maryland. This alone makes me a fan of him.

I am glad we did not use a 1st round pick on a tackle. That would have been a bad move. Now, I'm not saying Heyer is a great tackle yet, but he is a serviceable starter with room to grow. If we would have drafted a tackle or two in the third or 4th round, that would have been fine with me. And even if we drafted a tackle in the 1st round, there is no guarantee he would be better than Heyer:helmet:

I like him, he just needs to stay healthy and learn how to run block better. I think he was weak last season and hopefully after knowing he can win the starting spot, that he is training like a mad man. He needs to work on his technique as well, but all the things I mentioned are fixable. It all depends on Heyer, but I beleive he's a good player

Just because he is from MD shouldn't make him a fan favorite since everyone is not a Terps fan.

You stated you didn't see the whole at RT last year. Then I ask you sir, were you watching the Redskins. Heyer is definitely better at pass protection than he is in the run game. However, because he seems to only be a capable pass blocker, he is not a complete tackle. He can dominate against the run. The RT spot is suppose to be able to be best at the run game.

Bottom line, he is not a complete tackle. Should we keep him, develop him, and groom him...yes. But is he a starter, not yet. The hate is for the OL doing poorly, not specifically against Heyer. He is not the answer.

He didn't improve enough last year for me to see future potential.

He still has it, but now is behind the curve.

Improve? How much improvement did you expect. The year before last, he was Forced into the position due to injury. Last year, he won the position in Camp. I expect him to win it again this season, with even more improvement.

Heyer strikes me as soft, and not particularly good at pass blocking or run blocking.

To be honest I don't think he's any better or worse than Jansen.

Soft? He definitly didn't look soft when he knocked that guy out in the Cardinals game.

Maybe he means, based on his personality.

From interviews I've seen, he seems kind of passive.

Not sayin that's a way to judge his football play, just that maybe that's what the other dude is thinkin.

who is physically a beast

This is what I disagree with you most on. Heyer is not some type of mauler by any means.

The coaches have commented that he isn't the strongest, and during games I've noticed him get blown up by DEs.

I do root for Heyer though, and would personally rather see him in than Jansen at this point.

Improve? How much improvement did you expect. The year before last, he was Forced into the position due to injury. Last year, he won the position in Camp. I expect him to win it again this season, with even more improvement.

I expected him to be our starter there at the end of the season. He didn't earn it back when he was healthy.

Heyer is a average pass blocker and a below average run blocker who can only shield opponents instead of pushing them off the line.

His biggest problem IMO is that he is way too vertical at the start of plays. He stands straight up on every passing down allowing for defenders to blow him up with power moves.

With that said, he has tremendous upside as a pass blocker, and will hopefully develop into a decent run blocker.

Heyer, He gets the job done

I worry about next off season. Isn't he a free agent? Even though he may not be the probowler we would all like at RT, he is still a quality back-up and a solid starter if they need him. I would hate to lose the guy and see him do better on another team

I'm a big fan of Heyer (obviously) but I'm not really convinced he's much more than a good backup.

I see a guy with the size needed and the strength needed, but has lapses in technique and lacks the athleticism to man up every down on quicker DLs.

Personally, I was surprised during his draft year that no one was thinking of working him out at guard. I think if he showed well there, it might have gotten him drafted.

When Cooley no longer has to stay in and block on third down, thereby taking away one of only three offensive threats we possess, Heyer will have proven himself.

Until then, he and Jansen are killing us.

I hoped we had a young guy stepping in/up to be a starter for years to come, but after last season I'm not impressed. Pretty good in pass protection, sub par run blocking. Good depth, can possibly still improve but not sure he's the answer there and the Skins aren't either.

When Cooley no longer has to stay in and block on third down, thereby taking away one of only three offensive threats we possess, Heyer will have proven himself.

Until then, he and Jansen are killing us.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts. Everyone talks about how great of a pass blocker he is, but did you ever notice that whenever he came in, Chris Cooley stopped going out on routes?

This coupled with the fact that our running game seems to suffer when he's in... And that Heyer seems to have durability issues for two seasons straight despite never playing for extended amount of time.

I like Heyer as a backup. As the starter... Ehh.. With that said, it's very possible he can make a drastic leap next year. It's just not something the front office should have been banking on.

The only people I know of who were Heyer 'Fans' if you will, are people who tend to favor former Maryland players to begin with. He came in as an UDFA, and its great that he's been able to play as well as he has, but beyond those that follow him for those two reasons, what has Heyer done to be worthy of his own 'fan base'? When i think about the players on this team that clearly have a lot of fans who are they?

Portis

Cooley

Moss

Not sure if there are a lot of ARE fans, and there are a few guys that like Betts, but outside of Samuels I'm not sure there are many OLineman right now that people are "fans" of as individual players. Maybe I'm wrong, i dunno.

I think Heyer got beat alot straight up in individual match ups. I don't think it was a case of missing assignments for the most part. He may be worse than Jansen. I highly doubt he earns the starting spot.

To be fair I think Doc really sucked it up his first couple seasons, then came on strong. So there is hope he could make a big leap. At this point I think Bridges will take the job. But thats based less on knowledge of Bridges and more on what I have seen from Heyer/Jansen.

Archived