Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Senate Considers Federal Tax On Soda

China

Doesn't it make more sense to tax items and activities which lead to rising health care costs?

No. It doesn't. Because there will always be something around the corner that will be determined to be "bad" for you.

also, as i stated previously, there will be deminised returns. And they will base their budgets on $x from the new tax. but when they don't get $x, they get less, they'll have to make up that difference somewhere. And it won't be in the form of cutting gov't spending.

Sorry, I thought it was clear my comments were preceded by 'If/once universal health care happens'. Then, everyone's cost and care is everyone else's. That is why you are "responsible" for his health -- if your neighbor is unhealthy, your taxes are higher.

What made me responsible for his health? What did I do to be on the hook for anyone elses costs? How did this man, by virtue of being born, get the right to take money from me to pay for his lifestyle?

No one is saying universal health care if a perfect system.

Good. But nobody should be saying its a better system than what we have.

But for the sake of this discussion, assume it happens and we do have to pay for it. Doesn't it make more sense to tax items and activities which lead to rising health care costs? It makes more sense to discourage certain things (NOT outright ban them, that is even more of an attack on civil liberties), then to raise income taxes.

It makes more sense to let those people die that chose to make poor decisions. If my money is going towards other peoples health, I will not subsidize poor choices or outright stupidity. And I wouldn't demand the same from anyone else if I made those choices.

The problem is going to be that they won't stop at sugar taxes. They'll increase other taxes as well. When everyone has "free" healthcare, they'll go to the doctor for every little thing. This will drive up costs. Then the government will decide what tests you can have done, what proceedures you can have done, in order to cut out those costs. I don't want the government making decisions for me regarding my health. And I don't want them paying for it either.

would this include diet soda or just regular soda? if they are going to tax things that are unhealthy, wouldn't that just leave us with water?

No. At least according to the article. Diet sodas would be exempt.

Since it is apparent we are setting up some sort of universal health care system, it will need funds (deep sigh)

I don't drink soda at all. But the person in the cube next to me drinks 10 a day. I don't want to have to pay for her healthcare when she is a 55 year old diabetic

would this include diet soda or just regular soda? if they are going to tax things that are unhealthy, wouldn't that just leave us with water?

from the OP

Among the proposals, as Consumer Affairs reports: A three-cent tax on sodas as well as other sugary drinks, including energy and sports drinks like Gatorade. Diet sodas would be exempt.

I don't drink soda at all. But the person in the cube next to me drinks 10 a day. I don't want to have to pay for her healthcare when she is a 55 year old diabetic

And who's to say she will be a diabetic?

Why not just impose an extra tax on those who are already fat and out of shape and have a multitude of health issues instead of punishing everyone?

The OP said diet was exempt

Water?...fish **** in that,it can't be too healthy:rubeyes:

No. It doesn't. Because there will always be something around the corner that will be determined to be "bad" for you.

And what about things like eggs and coffee, which alternate between "good" and "bad" constantly? Will they take taxes off "bad" things when it is determined that they are now good?

No. At least according to the article. Diet sodas would be exempt.

Oops missed that part. But where would they draw the line on texing "unhealthy" foods? Becuase according to most, just about everything except water, fish, chicken, fruits, and vegetables is unhealthy for you.

Oops missed that part. But where would they draw the line on texing "unhealthy" foods? Becuase according to most, just about everything except water, fish, chicken, fruits, and vegetables is unhealthy for you.

fish contains mercury. fruits and vegetables, unless organic, probably have pesticide in/on them.

Fish has mercury. Chicken has salmonella. Stick with tofu. :silly:

ETA: Damn, beaten to it.

Exactly. For example. When I was a personal trainer,I had people come to me and ask about their diet. What they needed to change or get rid of. I always did the same thing. I told them to spend a day or two writing down everything they ate and drank. The answers would be provided to them by what they wrote down. Answer their own question kind of thing. They'd come come in and we'd review but usually the changes were obvious. It was never just one thing. It was several things. Many times,a lot of things. And it wasn't just the diet. Lifestyle and genetics played parts as well. And still do.

Irony. Back in 93 or 94,this state decided to start charging sales tax on all gym/health club memberships. Forcing owners and/or managers of those places,(such as myself at the time),to raise the prices on something that could or would assist people in getting healthy.

lol my point! the only "healthy" thing is water, so tex everything else too!

That "healthy water" better not come in a plastic bottle, if so we should tax it as well. Recycling is pretty expensive too, you know.

And who's to say she will be a diabetic?

Why not just impose an extra tax on those who are already fat and out of shape and have a multitude of health issues instead of punishing everyone?

Because enacting a tax on soda is politically expedient, and easily implemented (in law, and in industry). Whereas, a "you're a fat blob" tax would not be politically expedient, and would be a gi-normous pain in the flab to implement.

Excise taxes are well-understood, and already have a track history with alcohol, tobacco, and gasoline.

Inventing a taxation system which gauges potential health care costs based on the individual would be... challenging, to say the least.

My take: no excise tax, and no universal healthcare. But that's the libertarian tendencies in me.

Irony. Back in 93 or 94,this state decided to start charging sales tax on all gym/health club memberships. Forcing owners and/or managers of those places,(such as myself at the time),to raise the prices on something that could or would assist people in getting healthy.

Hahaha go figure. Tax things that are "unhealthy" so people don't buy them anymore. Tax things that are "healthy" so we get money still since people won't buy things that are bad for them anymore...now I get it!

Archived