Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It will be interesting for Redskins fans to see how the Rams do this year.

Going Commando

In trying to take stock of what happened around the league this offseason, I noticed that the Rams, who've been terrible the past two seasons, seem to be headed in the right direction.

Not only are they drafting well and making solid free-agency acquisitions, they are doing so in a way that we Redskins fan want see done with our own team.

First, they hired the coach many wanted us to last offseason in Spagnuolo. I'm curious to see how he transforms a defense that doesn't frighten anyone right now, into something resemblign what he had with the Giants.

And I know they've drafted really high the past two offseasons, but they've done really well getting the best left tackle and right defensive end prospects in consecutive years. Add to that both Laurinaitis and Avery look like solid picks, and they've made the most of those early selections.

Not only that, they've made a committment to protecting Marc Bulger by drafting Smith and signing a very good Jason Brown, as well as blocking tight ends and fullbacks. This is something we've been preaching to our front office for the past couple of seasons which they haven't done outside of resigning Dockery.

And lastly, in the 2008 draft they took Donnie Avery over Devin Thomas and were widely cirticized for the move. It's way to early to make a call on which would have been better, but its just one more wrinkle to the situation that should be interesting for Redskins fans.

There is no right way to build a team, but the Rams seem to be building from the inside out with an emphasis on the draft while the Redskins are going skill positions-inward with the emphasis on free-agency.

It will be interesting to see which approach pays off more quickly, but I'm pretty sure we'll be better than the Rams because we have an elite defense already.

Maybe...I'm not impressed with Bulger at all these days though. The new tackle could change that i suppose.

They are certainly headed in the right direction though. If they draft early again next year and get a QB, I think they'll get there that much sooner.

The Rams are going to be horrid again this year. They are implementing a WCO and don't have the receivers for it (sound familiar?)

On defense, the cupboard was bear before Spags got there and it will take a few years for him to get what he wants to run the defense.

The Rams are going to be horrid again this year. They are implementing a WCO and don't have the receivers for it (sound familiar?)

On defense, the cupboard was bear before Spags got there and it will take a few years for him to get what he wants to run the defense.

polar-bear-tongue.jpeg

St Louis will beat us this yaer. Mark it down :/

God I hope not. Especially since the game is early this year. At least we aren't in danger of Kendall catching the ball any more.

They will definitely struggle early because of the switch to the WCO they are trying to make. But Bulger is a seasoned pro and he should make the transition go a lot faster. I saw an article today that said all 9 of the receivers they have on their roster are 24 or younger. It said he didn't even know some of their names beyond their number.

But they and the 49ers both finally look like they are righting the ships. What I really want to see is how well they protect Mark Bulger and what kind of effect that will have on their offense as a whole, even though they have so many questions at receiver.

Basically, we are going to see if they can succeed by doing what we didn't this offseason in getting younger and more talented on the offensive line.

Really? Spags doesn't seem like the kind of coach to run a WCO...

I think they'll win more than two games this year, but don't expect them to make the playoffs. The NFC West is starting to build up again. They were crappy for a long time, but the Niners are on the rise, the Cardinals are actually good, the Rams are rebuilding and the Seahawks were riddled with injuries.

The Rams have done a nice job the last three years of building their lines with talented youth.

I'm a fan of Spags but get the gut feeling he's in for a rough rookie season followed by a stellar sophomore year.

It doesn't take a few years to do anything in the NFL anymore. Both the Dolphins and Falcons went from jokes to playoff teams over the course of one offseason.

Bulger hasn't played in a WCO since college, so I don't know how good their transition will be early in the year, but I thoroughly expect their O-line to be rock solid, and that means stopping Stephen Jackson. If that guy gives us trouble, it will be a long game against St Louis. That's my fear :/

It doesn't take a few years to do anything in the NFL anymore. Both the Dolphins and Falcons went from jokes to playoff teams over the course of one offseason.

Good point, except for the in-depth comparisons. I see the Rams getting better but not instantly. And no wonder they use the draft, FA money is not that plentiful.

If SJax is healthy, they're a different team.

Otherwise they're rebuilding. Marc Bulger is not going to lead them to a winning season without a Holt or Bruce in their primes. (too many holes in the defense, CB mainly though Bartell is nice)

Building your lines isn't even remotely hard to do, so although they're heading in the right directions, it's not like St. Louis is some model franchise.

Finding the skill players like defensive backs, wide receivers, linebackers, running backs, and quarterbacks is a true test of how good any one front office is at evaluating talent.

Really? Spags doesn't seem like the kind of coach to run a WCO...

Pat Shurmur came over from the Eagles to be their OC, and was Andy Reid QB coach for years.

I think they'll win more than two games this year, but don't expect them to make the playoffs. The NFC West is starting to build up again. They were crappy for a long time, but the Niners are on the rise, the Cardinals are actually good, the Rams are rebuilding and the Seahawks were riddled with injuries.

Injuries can be overcome. Talent takes time to acquire and mature. Neither the Hags or the Lambs will be good next year, but the Hags will be better.

They also had sound teams with talent on at least one side of the ball that could carry the team. The Rams don't have jack on either side.

In trying to take stock of what happened around the league this offseason, I noticed that the Rams, who've been terrible the past two seasons, seem to be headed in the right direction.

Not only are they drafting well and making solid free-agency acquisitions, they are doing so in a way that we Redskins fan want see done with our own team.

First, they hired the coach many wanted us to last offseason in Spagnuolo. I'm curious to see how he transforms a defense that doesn't frighten anyone right now, into something resemblign what he had with the Giants.

And I know they've drafted really high the past two offseasons, but they've done really well getting the best left tackle and right defensive end prospects in consecutive years. Add to that both Laurinaitis and Avery look like solid picks, and they've made the most of those early selections.

Not only that, they've made a committment to protecting Marc Bulger by drafting Smith and signing a very good Jason Brown, as well as blocking tight ends and fullbacks. This is something we've been preaching to our front office for the past couple of seasons which they haven't done outside of resigning Dockery.

And lastly, in the 2008 draft they took Donnie Avery over Devin Thomas and were widely cirticized for the move. It's way to early to make a call on which would have been better, but its just one more wrinkle to the situation that should be interesting for Redskins fans.

There is no right way to build a team, but the Rams seem to be building from the inside out with an emphasis on the draft while the Redskins are going skill positions-inward with the emphasis on free-agency.

It will be interesting to see which approach pays off more quickly, but I'm pretty sure we'll be better than the Rams because we have an elite defense already.

Sorry, but I couldn't care less...

Archived