Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our Defense should be something special this year

Rskins91

As everyone knows, adding Orakpo was a decision made in order to bolster a non-existant pass rush last year. And while Orakpo may be a rookie, he will always see one-on-one blocking with the presence of Big Albert on the inside. Because of Haynesworth's presence, it's not unreasonable to think if Orakpo turns out to be what we and many others think he is, he'll make a pretty big impact. So, add a check mark for improved pass rush to the Redskins 09 Defense, and pat the FO on the back for turning an area of weakness into a strength.

However, this is significant for many, many reasons.

First of all, look at our starting defensive lineup as it's projected to stand.

Redskins 2009 Starting Defense

#98 – Brian Orakpo (LDE) (Rookie)

#96 – Cornelius Griffin (DT) (9 years)

#92 – Albert Haynesworth (DT) (7 years)

#99 – Andre Carter (RDE) (8 years)

#52 – Rocky McIntosh (WLB) (3 years)

#59 – London Fletcher (MLB) (11 years)

#54 – H.B. Blades (SLB) (2 years)

#22 – Carlos Rogers (CB) (4 years)

#23 – DeAngelo Hall (CB) (5 years)

#30 – LaRon Landry (FS) (2 years)

#48 – Chris Horton (SS) (1 year)

Notable Backups

#94 – Anthony Montgomery (DT) (3 years)

#64 – Kedric Golston (DT) (3 years)

#27 – Fred Smoot (CB) (8 years)

#93 – Phillip Daniels (DE) (13 years)

#41 – Kareem Moore (SS) (1 year)

#95 – Chris Wilson (LB) (2 years)

#91 – Rob Jackson (DE) (1 year)

When I look at that list, a few things jump out at me. One is that all our bright, young defensive stars are entering the area where they are scheduled to "flip a switch." McIntosh will be entering his 4th year, Landry his 3rd, and Rogers his 5th. They're entering year 2 of Blache's system. They should be comfortable with the defense, their role, and make more plays than they did last year. This is especially true for Rogers, Landry, and the entire secondary, who will finally have a pass rush to compliment their cover skills.

The next thing that jumps out is our mix of youth and veteran leadership. 7 of our projected starters have played less than or equal to 5 years in the league, and 4 of them have been in league 6+ years. That's a healthy mix that should produce good results on the field. Let's not forget the leaders on this squad as well i.e. Fletch, Daniels, Landry. They'll direct the squad in the right direction.

The last thing that jumps out at me is our depth. On D-Line, if Griffin or Haynesworth get a little banged up or need a breather, we have two young DTs who can play pretty well when needed. For our secondary, we have Smoot at the nickel and the corner we just drafted, as well as Kareem Moore. The one area we could improve in is LB depth, but if Washington resigns for a little bit of money, then we should have a decent amount of depth with Wilson moving to LB.

Based off these observations, I predict the Washington Redskins D will easily be top 5 in yards, but will also turn around the low sack numbers and turnover numbers to become a truly "elite" defense that not only stops opponents, but also helps the offense score points or scores points themselves.

Time will tell I suppose. But that's just my two cents.

We do have some solid contributors and despite what someone said, I think Orakpo can contribute, and possibly quite significantly, this season. The attention paid to Fat Albert will only help his cause. We have potentially 3 or 4 Pro Bowlers in the making on that defense (well, I guess big Al already is). I hope it all gels this year for us.

At ''Notable Backups'' you can add Kevin Barnes in there, he could see a lot of time on the field.

But I like the D#....I just got the feeling the scouting department en coaches are better in scouting D# then off.

I mean what late round off talent did we ever picked? At D# we have some solid late round picks, Monty, Gholston, Horton, Moore and Blades.

One thing I didn't think about in my frustration of the no OL picks, is INTs, fumbles and field position.

If the defense can give the offense more chances and shorter fields, they should be a few more conversions. We were ranked 28th with 16.6 points per game. Add a TD per game (or 2 field goals) and we would have been in the 12-16 range. Add a TD and a FG and were top 5 in scoring. (all based on last years scoring)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?stat=team&sort=ppg&pos=off&league=nfl&season=2&year=2008

When you see a few more field goals could make the difference it seems pretty possible. I feel like we missed a lot of 35+ field goals last year (just looked 12/20 from 40+). 14/16 inside 39 yards, so just a few yards each time could make the difference.

Hello to all, I am new to this site. I am excited to talk football with everyone!

I think our defense will be special this year too. If Orapko can add 10lbs and work on the run game, he can develop into a special player at LDE. The nice part is he gets to learn alot from 2 vets in Wynn and Daniels for a year too. We should have a nice d-line rotation this year, keeping everyone fresh and ready. Hail to the Redskins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:eaglesuck:gaintsuck:dallasuck

As everyone knows, adding Orakpo was a decision made in order to bolster a non-existant pass rush last year. And while Orakpo may be a rookie, he will always see one-on-one blocking with the presence of Big Albert on the inside. Because of Haynesworth's presence, it's not unreasonable to think if Orakpo turns out to be what we and many others think he is, he'll make a pretty big impact. So, add a check mark for improved pass rush to the Redskins 09 Defense, and pat the FO on the back for turning an area of weakness into a strength.

However, this is significant for many, many reasons.

First of all, look at our starting defensive lineup as it's projected to stand.

Redskins 2009 Starting Defense

#98 – Brian Orakpo (LDE) (Rookie)

#96 – Cornelius Griffin (DT) (9 years)

#92 – Albert Haynesworth (DT) (7 years)

#99 – Andre Carter (RDE) (8 years)

#52 – Rocky McIntosh (WLB) (3 years)

#59 – London Fletcher (MLB) (11 years)

#54 – H.B. Blades (SLB) (2 years)

#22 – Carlos Rogers (CB) (4 years)

#23 – DeAngelo Hall (CB) (5 years)

#30 – LaRon Landry (FS) (2 years)

#48 – Chris Horton (SS) (1 year)

I love the entire defense, I just hope HB doesn't start.

The next thing that jumps out is our mix of youth and veteran leadership. 7 of our projected starters have played less than or equal to 5 years in the league, and 4 of them have been in league 6+ years. That's a healthy mix that should produce good results on the field. Let's not forget the leaders on this squad as well i.e. Fletch, Daniels, Landry. They'll direct the squad in the right direction.

That's exactly what championship teams are made of. I'm excited about how good our defense has been and how much more we've invested in it. The weakness of our defense was our defensive line and it has been upgraded by leaps and bounds, and could now very well be the strength of that squad.

Both Haynesworth and Orakpo seem genuinely interested in upping their games and being the best players they possibly can. If they hold on to those promises and stay healthy, we're going to see an elite defense in the B&G next season.

Also, our offense will be in year two of the Zorn system, the WRs should be catching up with the speed of the NFL and Jason Campbell has some consitency for a change.

I'm excited.

I know some fans were miffed about us not taking an O lineman. But considering all the money we spent to get AH, I think attempting to make the defense elite was the right thing to do this year.

I agree. Our D went from good to elite with these off season moves. Our O is in year two and the nucleus is there from last year. Should bode well. Like someone else stated, if we can get three scores a game from the O. Notch a W.

Hail!

Our defense certainly does look very good, definitely yop 5, but 2010 might be our year. Rookie DE's often need a year of seasoning. Problem is in 2010, we may be looking at having to replace fletcher, SLB, and maybe smoot. I really do feel like we are a couple of moves at LB from being A Ravens or Pittsburg quality defense. If we could become the kind of defense that leads the league in 3 and outs, sacks, and forces turnovers, our offense woud look a lot better.

If 2010 is uncapped, I say we go nuts. 2010 free agents: Lofa Tatupu, Terrell Suggs, Julius Peppers, Keith Bullock.

Picture our defense with Tatupu and Suggs.

If 2010 is capped, I say try to modestly upgrade the OL, hope for development from our receivers, and continue to draft defense.

turnovers are key. that's what separates the ravens from all other defenses...their ability to create turnovers and score points. we were already a top 10 d. with our new additions, i'm really hoping for a top 5 d that impacts the game similarly to how the ravens d does.

Archived