Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could the Redskins run a 5/2 hybrid defense?

daveakl

I was thinking about this last night after the Orakpo pick. Could the Redskins play Haynesworth, Daniels, Montgomery/Golston up the middle, Orakpo and Carter on the edges, McIntosh and Fletcher as the LB’s, Hall and Rogers at the corners with Landry and Horton/Doughty as the safeties?

Do Orakpo or Carter have the ability to drop into coverage if needed? Can McIntosh or Fletcher cover TE’s or RB’s that leak out into patterns?

It would seem to me that that front five would generate a tremendous pash rush and amount of time spend by the DB’s in coverage would be limited.

People will say you're crazy, but the Cardinals have tinkered with this for the past several years.

I haven't watched to many of their games, has it worked well when they try it? Do they have the players to run it? Heck, do we have the players to run it?

I think we've played a similar defensive formation to that before. It's only a couple-of-plays type thing though.

We also end up playing sort of a 4-4 sometimes since the SS is always so close to the LoS.

We use a 4-3 Over formation often.

Where the OLB shifts down next to the DE is very similiar to a 5-2 especially with Marcus because he's like a DE.

We use a 4-3 Over formation often.

Where the OLB shifts down next to the DE is very similiar to a 5-2 especially with Marcus because he's like a DE.

We could do that with Chris Wilson at SLB and essentially have the same thing.

I haven't watched to many of their games, has it worked well when they try it? Do they have the players to run it? Heck, do we have the players to run it?

I haven't actually seen it myself, I've just read a couple things about it - according the articles, it seems to have worked pretty well. It's essentially just a beefier 3-4.

People will say you're crazy, but the Cardinals have tinkered with this for the past several years.

I will for one reason thats Greg Blache, he has taught, coached and screamed 4-3 defenses for a 100 years. He is stubborn, if you ever saw a press conference of him you know this, he is NOT going to change now.

I was thinking about this last night after the Orakpo pick. Could the Redskins play Haynesworth, Daniels, Montgomery/Golston up the middle, Orakpo and Carter on the edges, McIntosh and Fletcher as the LB’s, Hall and Rogers at the corners with Landry and Horton/Doughty as the safeties?

Do Orakpo or Carter have the ability to drop into coverage if needed? Can McIntosh or Fletcher cover TE’s or RB’s that leak out into patterns?

It would seem to me that that front five would generate a tremendous pash rush and amount of time spend by the DB’s in coverage would be limited.

LBs aren't fast enough to do it on a regular basis. You'd need REALLY REALLY fast LBs to pull that off. Under certain situations, it would work, but not on every play.

its called a 3-4

I think we are going to be running more of a 4-3 "under" defense...We have the perfect personnel for this D...

This is Pete Carroll talking about the 4-3 "under" D principles and blitz schemes as taught to him by Monte Kiffin...Very interesting and a good read...

http://www.trojanfootballanalysis.com/43_under_blitz_schemes.html

just a bump for those that haven't read or seen it! :D

Great Article!!!

Thanks...I actually believe that although we said that Orakpo was going to be a DE I think that on 1st and 2nd down Daniels will be the LDE and Orakpo will be the "SAM" LB..."Rak" will line up on the outside shoulder of the TE w/Daniels lined up on the outside shoulder of the RT...

OR

Orakpo could take Andre Carter's RDE spot and Carter becomes the situational rusher on 3rd down...

Daniels can stuff the run in his sleep, so I think initially we have to start him at LDE...we're just going to have to hope that Orakpo can become much more stout against the run or learn to cover so he can be the 1st and 2nd down "SAM" LB...

Archived