Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stevie Ray Vaughn - Consensus Best Guitarist Ever?

Reaganaut

No way was SRV the greatest guitarist ever. Greatest blues rock guitarist ever, yeah, but that's all he could do. Now don't get me wrong, I love me some Stevie, but he was not an inovator at all. Stevie copped his style from Albert King.

Copied everything but the Flying V.:D

Everyone copied something from the guy before him.

If we wanna say someone is the greatest guitarist ever, we should say it's the first guy who ever made and played a guitar. Because without him, none of these guys would have even had a chance to have their name's up in lights.

Everyone copied something from the guy before him.

If we wanna say someone is the greatest guitarist ever, we should say it's the first guy who ever made and played a guitar. Because without him, none of these guys would have even had a chance to have their name's up in lights.

Eh everyone's just ripping off Bach. J/k, check out my previous post and also the YT video I posted.

Ummmm.... I'm going to go with Django Reinhardt. He did some absolutely ridiculous things with a guitar. Some of my all time favorite music...

SRV was pretty darn great, though. Apples to oranges, I know...

Good choice. I would say it's comparing Apples to Apples. They all play guitar. Yes differences in Jazz,Classical, and Blues styles but I think comparisons are fair because they all play the guitar. It just come down to personal preferences as far as who is your favorite.

then shame on the OP who acts like an expert on Vaughn, by demandingly proclaiming him best ever, but mis-spells the supposed best solo ever :)

Say what? Are you a complete Douche or what? It is Voodoo Chile.

Voodoo Child. Yes it's the proper way to say it. I didn't come up with the improper spelling, it's been around for forty years.

By the way, I AM an expert on Vaughn.... WTF makes you think I am not an expert?

No way was SRV the greatest guitarist ever. Greatest blues rock guitarist ever, yeah, but that's all he could do. Now don't get me wrong, I love me some Stevie, but he was not an inovator at all. Stevie copped his style from Albert King.

He may have copied, but let's see Albert King play anything by SRV.

I haven't heard a whole lot of SRV, but really the only song I could get into was "Pride And Joy".

With Eddie, I look at it in the opposite direction - what the songs I *don't* like (and for everything pre-Balance, its only probably a handful) Eddie had lots of great songs, that got zero radio play.

Wow. Tough one. So many great ones out there. I have a friend who is a guitarist. One of those can't drive past the store without buying a guitar kind of musicians. :) He said Stevie Ray did stuff you just weren't supposed to be able to do. Best ever? I don't know. One of the best ever? Sure.

I concur with this. There are many other greats out there, but SRV was a rare breed

SRV was excellent, but no way is he the best ever IMO.

For one thing, you need to be an innovator as well as a player (again in my opinion), and Stevie was not one.

Jimi Hendrix, BB King, Buddy Guy, and Jimmy Page would all go ahead of SRV in my mind, and Eric Clapton, Carlos Santana and Jeff Beck might go ahead of him too.

It's all opinion, of course.

I say no,, I liked SRV just fine,, he was great, but let's face it,, the guy could be very repetitive. He had some really nice licks, but he did use them again and again.

For my money the best guitarist ever might be Buddy Guy.

It's such a subjective question.. tomorrow my opinion may be someone else.

~Bang

SRV was great. Not the best IMO. I can only take so much pentatonic scale-and that's pretty much the only thing he ever did. In that sense he was kind of a one trick pony.

Out of all the guitarists ever, IMO Andres Segovia is the best. Although it could be argued that the classical guitar is an entirely different instrument. Segovia could make any piece come alive under his fingers. So much soul. But he was able to do this with music spanning 4 centuries, not just one genre.

:no: No one is allowed to say Eddie VanHalen. Just because you "taught yourself" to play doesn't mean you don't suck.

umm...I think I did mention him. :silly: Eddie influenced an entire group of guitarists to play like he did.

SRV was excellent, but no way is he the best ever IMO.

For one thing, you need to be an innovator as well as a player (again in my opinion), and Stevie was not one.

Jimi Hendrix, BB King, Buddy Guy, and Jimmy Page would all go ahead of SRV in my mind, and Eric Clapton, Carlos Santana and Jeff Beck might go ahead of him too.

It's all opinion, of course.

yeah well, your opinion SUCKS!! until of course you admit you love bob seger.:saber:

I would also like to give an honorable mention to Dave Mustaine.

Archived