Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stevie Ray Vaughn - Consensus Best Guitarist Ever?

Reaganaut

Not trying to ruffle feathers on Jimi fans. I actually tear up when I listen to SRV. It's still hard to take even after all these years. Tell me what you think of this video and if you think he's just a niche player in blues or something truly special above all other players. It's live Voodoo Chile when he was on his tour with Jeff Beck. They played "Goin down" together which I believe is the finest guitar dual ever recorded. It's on MTV and decent quality if interested on Youtube.

This is my favorite video. He's clean off drugs (I think). Nothing comparable in history IMHO. Wipes everyone's fanny. Please listen to the end. It's over the top.

Don't comment please until you watch this video...

Please watch this before commenting. Seriously.

Wow. Tough one. So many great ones out there. I have a friend who is a guitarist. One of those can't drive past the store without buying a guitar kind of musicians. :) He said Stevie Ray did stuff you just weren't supposed to be able to do. Best ever? I don't know. One of the best ever? Sure.

I think Stevie was one hell of a player, but not quite the best ever. And in all honesty, I think Hendrix is overrated...Yeah he did a lot of awesome stuff and transcended the instrument...but I wouldn't consider him the best ever. When I think of best ever, I think technical proficiency and musical proficiency. Stevie Ray Vaughn by far beats out Hendrix imo. Hendrix was revolutionary at the time, but now I think many guitarists could wipe the floor with him technically and musically. Don't get me wrong, I like Jimi, but I definitely think there are better.

I think if Randy Rhoads had not passed away he would be one guitarist that we would be talking about even more today. The guy could shred, play gorgeous melodies and play actual music. He is the reason I picked up a guitar, so maybe I am a little biased.

If the guitarist does not transcend the instrument, I don't really see why their name should be mentioned...so no Herman Li or Kirk Hammett (or Petrucci for that matter...yawn) talk please.

Tell someone who studied guitar at a Arts Conservatory that you think he is the best. Pretty much all the guitarist that I know hate SRV. I really don't know why I think he's pretty good. Also they say the same about Hendrix. They consider there playing to be "noodling".

lol my former guitar instructor at school HATES Eric Clapton for some reason. Clasical guitar snob, imo. :saber:

SRV played with heart and you can never take that out of someones playing. I think SRV and guys like him have that "it" quality to them.

Wow. Tough one. So many great ones out there. I have a friend who is a guitarist. One of those can't drive past the store without buying a guitar kind of musicians. :) He said Stevie Ray did stuff you just weren't supposed to be able to do. Best ever? I don't know. One of the best ever? Sure.

PCS, please do me a favor and click the link and listen to the video. Seriously.

pCS nailed it. one of the best ever. some are going to say eddie van halen, some will say jimi...some may even say bb or slowhand.

for me though nothing beats SRV.

You WATCHED the video didn't you. Everybody, please watch this before commenting.

lol my former guitar instructor at school HATES Eric Clapton for some reason. Clasical guitar snob, imo. :saber:

SRV played with heart and you can never take that out of someones playing. I think SRV and guys like him have that "it" quality to them.

It's not just for some reason. It's because a lot of these so called "great guitarists" were influenced by the Blues and not Classical/Jazz.

Tell someone who studied guitar at a Arts Conservatory that you think he is the best. Pretty much all the guitarist that I know hate SRV. I really don't know why I think he's pretty good. Also they say the same about Hendrix. They consider there playing to be "noodling".

In most cases thats because those players dont have any idea how to play with the feeling that SRV played with.

They are for the most part great guitarists that can play a G chord with a syncopated 5th but have no idea what it would mean to feel the music.

my 2cents

btw ~> love me some SRV, not sure I can say best ever but he is certainly one of the best ever.

pCS nailed it. one of the best ever. some are going to say eddie van halen, some will say jimi...some may even say bb or slowhand.

for me though nothing beats SRV.

:no: No one is allowed to say Eddie VanHalen. Just because you "taught yourself" to play doesn't mean you don't suck.

In most cases thats because those players dont have any idea how to play with the feeling that SRV played with.

They are for the most part great guitarists that can play a G chord with a syncopated 5th but have no idea what it would mean to feel the music.

my 2cents

btw ~> love me some SRV, not sure I can say best ever but he is certainly one of the best ever.

I hope your joking. If not:

Joe Satriani should be mentioned too.

I've met and talked to JS for at least an hour. He's near the top. But, SRV is in a class by himself as I'm sure JS would agree. JS is a humble guy so it's not hard to believe he'd agree that SRV is the best.

:no: No one is allowed to say Eddie VanHalen. Just because you "taught yourself" to play doesn't mean you don't suck.

Doesn't mean you're not great either. I've talked to many musicians out here,all with their own opinions on guitarist. Like many other things,this is a very subjective topic.

Oh. And I did watch. Opinion still stands.

:) He said Stevie Ray did stuff you just weren't supposed to be able to do. Best ever? I don't know. One of the best ever? Sure.

I have a couple pro guitar player friends, that said basically the same thing. Something about SRV using extra heavy strings and then strangling them with his monster grip and forearm, and that's how his sound is extra crunchy like a freight train munching on cars at a crossing.

I have a couple pro guitar player friends, that said basically the same thing. Something about SRV using extra heavy strings and then strangling them with his monster grip and forearm, and that's how his sound is extra crunchy like a freight train munching on cars at a crossing.

Stevie tuned his guitar down a half-step and used .013, .015, .019, .028, .038, and .058 gauge string. All I can say is OUCH. I use super light 9's.

Archived