Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: RI: Mike Sellers Unhappy About Contract; Not Participating In Voluntary Workouts

TheGoodBits

Do NFL players have a retirement pension? I had not heard of that. Do you have any more info on it?

http://www.askmen.com/sports/business_100/109_sports_business.html

NFL

Year pension plan began: 1959

The NFL's pension plan covers every eligible player (meaning he played four years in the league) since 1920. That four-year requirement drops to three for players in the league after 1992. Full benefits are available at the age of 55, with a minimum payout of $200 a month for each season played in the NFL.

That monthly payout, based on the number of seasons played, does not amount to millions. Even a veteran like Darrell Green, who retired in 2002 after 20 seasons, will only be looking at $5,805 per month. Approximately $70,000 per year or $290 a month for each season played.

And despite the fact that the total pension fund was raised to $40 million annually in 2002, there are still disputes over payouts. In May 2004, the estate of Mike Webster began the legal process to sue the NFL's retirement and disability plans over his pension. Webster, who died in 2002, allegedly suffered brain damage while playing in the NFL. With his 1999 request for full disability benefits rejected, he ended up in debt and homeless for a short time. In 2005 his estate received full retroactive benefits, which amounted to $1.18 million plus interest and fees, dating back to 1991. Of course the NFL appealed, but in 2006 the U.S. Court of Appeals backed the ruling of the original federal judge.

He's a FULLBACK not exactly a franchise QB. A million a year has to be enough for a blocking fullback. The guy doesn't catch or run the ball' date=' he only blocks. You can put Lorenzo Alexander and have him block for portis.[/quote']

Do you watch the games?

He has been in the NFL more than long enough to collect a pension after he retires.

Yep. That isn't something to retire on, I believe, but it's not like he has nothing.

Oh gotcha... but yes, NFL players should be able to retire once they are done playing. Most get paid millions and can do it anyway, but the journeymen that never really earn the huge paycheck often get screwed over in that sense. The NFL is all they do for 10-15 years, and suddenly they're out of work without any job experience and not enough savings to last them the rest of their life. Big Mike is in a particularly bad situation because he hasn't been playing in the NFL that long.

He's been around a long time. This is his second stint with the Redskins. He was here with Norv.

It's all about planning for the future. Sure, the stars can be set for life, provided they aren't idiots. But the journeymen and marginal players? Uh uh. They have to know what comes down the road. Put money aside and don't spend it like a drunken sailor on shore leave. And plan for a career after football. Don't become obsolete, just like you and I have to do over the course of our careers so we can eventually enjoy a comfortable retirement. NFL players are no exception to this harsh reality.

Alright.

This year: From $750k to $900k.

Next year: From ~$900k to $1.2 million

Last year of his contract: From $? to $1.4 million.

It's not THAT much more, but I'm sure he would appreciate it. It also has such a negligible impact on the cap it shouldn't even matter.

I'm sure he would appreciate it, too.

But what is Vinny supposed to do when 15 other players walk in and want to re-negotiate for "just 25%-33% more"?

In the "real" world, people who are well-paid for their position do not get bumps like that, regardless of how good they are. There is just no leverage, just like Sellers has no leverage here.

I'm sure he would appreciate it, too.

But what is Vinny supposed to do when 15 other players walk in and want to re-negotiate for "just 25%-33% more"?

In the "real" world, people who are well-paid for their position do not get bumps like that, regardless of how good they are. There is just no leverage, just like Sellers has no leverage here.

Who's to say those 15 other players have worked as hard as Sellers to earn it? Use Sellers as the benchmark at that point. We dont have THAT many Probowlers.

Tell them to make the pro bowl.;)

I agree though that it still isn't much leverage, except that he is a valuable contributer to the team, and I'm sure that the ownership knows that he is a popular player. Whether or not that should have anything to do with personnel decisions, I think it does make an impact.

When you stop trying to jump over a pile in short yardage and lower your shoulders to get us the first down.....maybe we'll talk money.

Agreed, he's good but a tad overrated IMO. I love the guy and would like to have him around, but for every block he's had I've seen a whiff on one, and for every run or catch and pummel he's laid, I've also seen him dance around for yards instead of just hitting the hole. He shouldn't be complaining.

Who's to say those 15 other players have worked as hard as Sellers to earn it? Use Sellers as the benchmark at that point. We dont have THAT many Probowlers.
Tell them to make the pro bowl.;)

I agree though that it still isn't much leverage, except that he is a valuable contributer to the team, and I'm sure that the ownership knows that he is a popular player. Whether or not that should have anything to do with personnel decisions, I think it does make an impact.

Well, it's still Sellers' and his agent's fault (no wonder he fired him) for not getting a Pro Bowl incentive in his contract.

And, honestly, I don't consider the Pro Bowl to be the proper barometer for how hard a guy has worked, or even how well he played. It's more of a popularity contest, IMO.

Either of you think that Sellers worked harder or played better than London Fletcher?

Yeah, me neither :no:.

Well, it's still Sellers' and his agent's fault (no wonder he fired him) for not getting a Pro Bowl incentive in his contract.

And, honestly, I don't consider the Pro Bowl to be the proper barometer for how hard a guy has worked, or even how well he played. It's more of a popularity contest, IMO.

Either of you think that Sellers worked harder or played better than London Fletcher?

Fletcher not making the Pro Bowl is an outrage. To me though, Sellers is sort of the Fletcher of the offense. Just not as much of an impact guy bc of the position he plays.

Right, because his primary job is to run the ball.:doh:

Exactly, he's a monster when blocking for Portis. I think we should keep him, look at Lorenzo O'neal, how old is dude? I'm sure is way older then Sellers. LaDainains performance level dropped a good deal after O'neal left. We definitely shouldnt over pay for him, but I'd like to keep him on the squad.

Its a good point, however I think Sellers's work and team effort is definitely comperable to Fletch, and I think that Fletch was snubbed for the Probowl, rather then incinuating that Sellers didnt work hard enough and was voted in on popularity.

Popularity contest or not, you have to be good and having a good season to make the Probowl. give Sellers his due at the very least. Im sure he isnt asking for bank breaking money, and what ever happend to "taking cae of our own" and not cutting our players for FA's? Its a good point with Fletch, but I only think it strengthens my statement.

We have very few players on this team who are good enough to use their play as leverage and hold out...I'm not convinced Sellers is one of them. He is a HUGE fan favorite (definitely one of mine) and I always got the impression that the players like the guy, too. But the same could be said of Rock Cartwright, and he got nuttin' lol...true, Rock didn't make the Pro Bowl, but I don't give a rat's ass about the Pro Bowl, I only care about what the player produces on the field. And in my eyes, Sellers and Rock's production and contribution on the field aren't THAT far apart.

Archived