Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Were you/Are you in a Fraternity and What is your impression of them?

buenosdiaz

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Curious again

don't expect to find many Fraternity members on here but want to see what kind of sentiments the general populace has for them.

The poll will only address those two questions but I think it is equally important to discuss school size and the general importance of greek life for social purposes in the discussion.

Poll Coming

and for the record I was not in a fraternity, attended a small-catholic school where greek life composed i'd say half of weekend activities. I was that guy that although not a brother hung out with a lot of good friends that happened to be in a fraternity

I always thought it was funny that a lot of them thought it was this huge networking thing or would like great on your resume

Anyways...discuss

i was in one. wasnt really wahtd youd picture when you think of a fraternity though i guess.

i didnt plan on joining one, but i got to school my freshman year and played music with a lot of the guys in the house. we all liked the same bands and would sit around and get stoned and play songs by this lake.

dont regret it at all. i went to an all male school so im sure its different at other places.

there were girls on weekends, but when it is all guys on a Wednesday night, no one is really out posturing and acting like a dick to impress some girls at a bar or something.

just a group of friends that had common interests id say.

and if youre on the fence dont do it. dont make up your mind before you visit a house or something. just dont do it to meet girls or b/c they tell you how cool it will make you look. those are the wrong reasons.

hang out with folks and if you like them you wont even have to make a decision.

I went to a small private school. Prolly 95% of students lived on campus, and I'd say more than 75% of students were involved in Greek Life. There were no bars around campus, so frat parties were what you did on the weekends, no matter if you were affiliated or not.

nope. why pay money to have friends?

this i always thought was funny when my friends had to pay dues...

i dont know I mean the thing is I liked hanging out with a lot of my buds that were in fraternities but sometimes enough is enough

its almost like they had a responsibility to hang out with each other which to me is lame

seriously some of them had the girliest arguments that i've ever heard

i was in one. wasnt really wahtd youd picture when you think of a fraternity though i guess.

i didnt plan on joining one, but i got to school my freshman year and played music with a lot of the guys in the house. we all liked the same bands and would sit around and get stoned and play songs by this lake.

dont regret it at all. i went to an all male school so im sure its different at other places.

there were girls on weekends, but when it is all guys on a Wednesday night, no one is really out posturing and acting like a dick to impress some girls at a bar or something.

just a group of friends that had common interests id say.

and if youre on the fence dont do it. dont make up your mind before you visit a house or something.

hang out with folks and if you like them you wont even have to make a decision.

Ummmm, did you go to Hampden-Sydney???

this i always thought was funny when my friends had to pay dues...

i dont know I mean the thing is I liked hanging out with a lot of my buds that were in fraternities but sometimes enough is enough

its almost like they had a responsibility to hang out with each other which to me is lame

seriously some of them had the girliest arguments that i've ever heard

yeah that was my problem with them. i wanted to be able to do what i want, with who i want, when i want. i don't need someone telling me i have to go and do this and that. i had plenty of friends who were in frats and didnt have to pay to be their friend lol

yeah my school was about 1,100 guys and in the relative middle of nowhere. ha somep eople prob can figure out which one it was.

i thought it was cool to have a place to hangout during weeknights (the house). id rather do that than go to bars anyway.

If I let you guys pick on me for a few weeks, can I be your friend? I'll spend the first year getting beer and being a joke of a person, as long as I get to do it to someone else in a few years. Please, I can't make friends on my own. Will we have "keggers" and get to date rape drunk chics?

That's my personal stereotype of frats.

If I let you guys pick on me for a few weeks, can I be your friend? I'll spend the first year getting beer and being a joke of a person, as long as I get to do it to someone else in a few years. Please, I can't make friends on my own. Will we have "keggers" and get to date rape drunk chics?

That's my personal stereotype of frats.

Of course I'm also in a social club/gang type brotherhood, so I really have zero room to label anybody and it's fairly ignorant to do so.

ha fair enough

in all honesty though i never really got the whole rivalry thing.

i didnt really know anyone who played any sports and i dont think i attended a single sporting event while i was in school there. i mean i had drinks on the grass while football games went on but never paid any attention really.

and then senior year i lived in a housei n the woods with my best buds and never really went to campus at all.

Ummmm, did you go to Hampden-Sydney???

This would have been my guess as well, since I went to Longwood. All I can say about Hampden-Sydney is we killed them in rugby. That's the only interaction I had with them in 4 years.

Anyway, my personal opinion of fraternities is that they're mostly ****heads with a few diamonds in the rough. At Longwood, I was asked to join a frat by some guys I lifted with. I declined. The next semester, they were thrown off campus for beating up their pledges.

My freshman year, I lived on a frat hall because most of their brothers were off campus, so they had space. It was all fraternity brothers and four of us who were in a corner. They got drunk and fought with each other all the time. I got no sleep and finished the year with a 1.8 GPA.

Another fraternity had a pledge who gave his pledge pin (or whatever it's called) to his girlfriend. Big mistake. They chained him naked to a tree in front of the all-girls dorm. That fraternity was not kicked off campus because they did a lot of community service.

Another fraternity had a brother who almost ran me over with his car. I called him a helpful name. He threatened me, and I invited him to get out of his car and settle the matter. Despite having two of his frat brothers in the car with him, he wouldn't do it.

So my general opinion of them is that they're populated by guys who are either violent, loud and obnoxious, unmerciful with their pledges, or big pansies.

But on the other hand, I had a number of really good friends in various fraternities, so it's really about doing your research and finding a group that's a good fit. I decided that it wasn't something for me.

I wasnt in one, i didnt need any assistance filling out my social calender in college. I just voted "not my thing" i knew a lot of frat guys and while some of them were the stereotype meatheads, most of them were pretty good dudes. One frat tried to convince me to join, but once i figured out that it took a semester of being a 2nd class citizen on top of paying money i was like **** that. Anyways, a lot of the time i was out partying during the day with my friends that were in frats, invariably they would have to leave to attend some mandatory function that they didnt even want to go to. The times that i partied at frat houses my first 2 years in school, i was honestly expecting Animal House. The frats at WVU are dry, the on campus parties were not anywhere close to the level of debauchery i was expecting of them....or of myself. :)

One of the frats at school, Sigma Chi, had a wicked party every year, probably the 3rd best annual party at WVU, that i always went to.

My impression in general was that fraternities were guys that wanted to extend their high school years.....formals, being attention-whorish, more fighting than is normal for adults, desperate for acceptance, etc. I dated 2 sorority girls in college, one was awesome in all aspects, one was the sterotype ditzy sororitute spoiled brat narcissist.

Archived