Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Were you/Are you in a Fraternity and What is your impression of them?

buenosdiaz

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I don't know about that, I was offered a bid to one, and probably could have joined another had I chosen to, but I declined.

Another thing that was funny...my roommate in college was Greek, Cypriot Greek to be specific. Fraternities in general annoyed him, because as he put it "These dumbasses don't know the first thing about being Greek."

From his point of view, it was probably the truth.:hysterical:

*Oh, btw, I can't figure out from NavyDave's comment whether he was pro or anti-fraternity. I think pro, but I'm just not positive.

he was in a fraternity

but yeah going on the first part of your statement

i was going to respond to that comment to

but i see that we're in the "not our thing" response so it didnt really apply to me. Like i said to start with i dont have any bad feelings towards fraternities and included that option because i know a lot of people feel that way

i wouldnt agree its because they couldnt get a bid but whatever

Thank all of the fraternities at colleges across the country for solidifying that stereotype.
Or again, thank you for choosing the occasional bad experiences you had with a few members of a couple random fraternities and applying that sterotype to everyone in blanket form as you just did.

You can find bad apples in every bunch if that's what you're out looking for.

Or again, thank you for choosing the occasional bad experiences you had with a few members of a couple random fraternities and applying that sterotype to everyone in blanket form as you just did.

You can find bad apples in every bunch if that's what you're out looking for.

There's nothing few or couple about it. The majority of fraternity members I've come across have been annoying ********s.

Notice in my original post I said it depends on the school/chapter/fraternity, which it does I'll give you that but overall I think more people than not have a negative connotation of frat people because they've been given a reason to.

you know which were the best sororities and frats on campus? The african-american ones. I used to go to their step shows and they were the ones that seemed less frivolous.
As buenosdiaz pointed out, those ones are known for some tough hazing rituals, and at least in the south, they're not at all "less frivolous."

Didnt have any where I went to school but I think they are a good way to build life long relationships. Not any different than joining a club or anything in my opinion. You get together with others who share common interests. In this case its girls and partying. Isnt that how college guys pick their friends anyway?

There's nothing few or couple about it. The majority of fraternity members I've come across have been annoying ********s.

Notice in my original post I said it depends on the school/chapter/fraternity, which it does I'll give you that but overall I think more people than not have a negative connotation of frat people because they've been given a reason to.

And I think most people have that negative connotation built in because of stereotypes they see on TV or in movies, and once in college either they themselves or a buddy of theirs got kicked out of a fraternity party, or harassed by a guy in a fraternity, or whatever.

Like I said before, it's surprising how many people outside of Greek life react to fraternities compared to how many people inside of Greek life react to those not in fraternities/sororities.

It's complete hypocrisy.

i was a delt at a small liberal arts school. fraternity parties were really the only major source of entertainment at the school, but that's not why i joined. to be honest, i don't really remember actually ever thinking of joining a fraternity... i wasn't planning on it going into school for sure. all the guys that i enjoyed hanging out with in my dorm and on my team were delts and it just seemed like a natural fit.

greek like (with apologies to pho's roommate) was very different at my school... we all got along, there weren't any fights, and none were any more or less clique-ish than any other team or group on campus. the hazing during pledge period was only some very minor psychological crap that no one took seriously... i looked forward to "line-ups." to this day, most of my friends from college that i stay in touch with are brothers; the others are ex-teammates from my swim team (which was more clique-ish and "exclusive" than any fraternity on campus). i do not think i would have been in a fraternity at a large public university where greek like is taken more seriously.

all in all, being greek at my school wasn't a big deal. i'm sure some people thought we were annoying, but then again, i thought the theater-rats were annoying. i'm glad i did it and enjoyed my experience.

i find it interesting that there are not many people that regret being in a fraternity, but there are not many (if any) people that regretted not being a member.

If I had never been talked into walking up with my friend who was set on pledging during rush week, I would have never joined and would have probably voted option E.
Which is why, for the most part, I don't take the opinion of people voting for that option very seriously on this topic.

all in all, being greek at my school wasn't a big deal. i'm sure some people thought we were annoying, but then again, i thought the theater-rats were annoying. i'm glad i did it and enjoyed my experience.
That's what I'm saying.

I think the theater kids can be annoying. I think the football teammates can be annoying. I think the kids who take all the same classes together in the sports medicine program in a building I'm often in are really annoying.

You can take just about any close group of people that hang out a lot in some kind of mutual situation with each other, and from the outside looking in, discriminate against them for whatever reasons you want to.

People in Greek life get the worst stereotyping just because they "party" though.

Archived