Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider: Chat with Mel Kiper (Redskins/Sanchez Tidbits) 4-17-09

bubba9497

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=25952

Click link for entire article

Chat with Mel Kiper

Cole (KC): Is Seattle seriously considering Sanchez? How high do you think Josh Freeman will go? Love your work. Thanks.

SportsNation Mel Kiper: I think they have to be. I thought he's up there as one of the top players in this draft. Durability has been an issue for Matt Hasselbeck. Maybe in 2010 you let Sanchez compete. Seattle got pretty good play from Seneca Wallace when he filled in last year. Hasselbeck has the back situation and he had the worst year he's had in Seattle. And he turns 34. Wallce proved he could do a decent job and then you'd have Sanchez as the heir apparent.

J., J-Ville.: With so many teams looking to trade out of the top ten, who is most likely to be successful?

SportsNation Mel Kiper: I think Jacksonville at 8 would be the most successful. If Sanchez gets past Seattle, then I think he's the guy that people would move up to try and get. San Francisco, Washington are other teams that could look to do that.

Reno (DC): Better fit for the Skins, Sanchez or Campbell?

SportsNation Mel Kiper: Campbell is in his last year to show that he can do it. He's going to have to have some things fall into place. Kelly or Thomas is going to have to have an impact this year. Fred Davis at TE. The OL has to play a lot better. This is a put up or shut up for Campbell. This entire organization and coachign staff, they know they have to win. I would take Sanchez if he's there, but I don't think he will be. And they don't have the ammunition to get him. They'd have to move 13 to 4 or 13 to 3.

SportsNation Mel Kiper: I don't buy into the Josh Freeman talk. Freeman with the 13th pick. He's not highly regarded enough to guarantee that he's the heir apparent there. What Campbell needs to do is be more assertive and a vocal leader.

I do agree with him, we don't have enough ammos to get Sanchez, and I hope the FO won't mortgage our draft picks to move up to get him.

I would rather try to get Orakpo, because he could (if not a bust) be great with Albert Haynesworth, and unfortunately I don't think we can find a team to trade down.

I think that knowing the relationship that Vinny has with Shanahan (as made clear by us going all out to get Cutler) if Shanahan likes Sanchez we will make it happen. Danny would love to have ole Mike hear as the coach next year so why not start puting his pieces together now?I am not saying this is what is happening I am just saying that I would not be at all superised by these Shanahanagins...

There are always surprises in the draft. People falling more than they should, people going higher then they should. IMO, we will land somebody that is agreed upon with the general fan base and hopefully us "Advanced Fans" at ES!

lets hope so cause if it is trading up for sanchez i can see this site getting ugly

this is a complete indictment on the front office in my opinion. When we drafted JC he had a history of playing under differnet coordinators, and winning a chip. Sanchez only has one year as a starter. This front office always is doing something stupid. I hate the fact the fans have to suffer. Tired of Danny and his nonesense.

Kansas City probably thinks they can have our #13 and next year's 1st and 3rd for their #3 overall.

And they're probably right.

I hate the constant rumors of our stupidity. It's the main reason I want the draft to be over and the season to start.

Seattle's two biggest needs are OT to spot and eventually take over for Walter Jones and WR, as they have no one outside Housh on that team.

If they go QB here, it's because Mora Jr. forced them to do so.

well Jim Mora sr drafted peyton manning and mora was on the nfl netwrok last week saying his dad gave him some tips on this draft.. you more than lilkely right

also according to our fromer gm of this team (casserly)oline has been ruled out by the hawks

GETTING ugly?

In my observations on here and this is just mine i am seeing a clear division of those feed up with snyder , feed up with campbell or more than in general just feed up

drafting a player that i believe 50 or sixty percent (could be wrong on percentage) are not behind and this site can be ruthless at times... i forecast a nasty mix if sanchez is the selection

imo

well Jim Mora sr drafted peyton manning and mora was on the nfl netwrok last week saying his dad gave him some tips on this draft.. you more than lilkely right

Goes back to the premise that new coaches always get their QB with their first draft.

To me, I still can't see the Hawks taking Sanchez though. Too many other holes and it goes against their GM's draft history..

Something interesting I found:

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/seahawks/2009/02/11/the_comprehensi.html

The comprehensive Tim Ruskell draft history

Posted by Danny O'Neil

Tim Ruskell's teams tend to go for defensive linemen in the first round and those defensive linemen tend to be from the South. Go back to 1992 when Ruskell was promoted to director of college scouting in Tampa Bay. Ruskell's employers have used 15 different first-round choices since then, and here's how those numbers break down:

9 of those first-round choices were used on defensive players.

6 of those first-round choices were used on defensive linemen

6 of those first-round choices came out of Florida colleges

3 of those first-round choices came from west of the Mississippi River. That would be DE Lawrence Jackson (USC), DE Regan Upshaw (Cal) and QB Trent Dilfer (Fresno State).

Kansas City probably thinks they can have our #13 and next year's 1st and 3rd for their #3 overall.

And they're probably right.

I hate the constant rumors of our stupidity. It's the main reason I want the draft to be over and the season to start.

Hope so!

Unfortunately it won't end. No matter what. If we don't get Sanchez it will be back to the Cult of Colt saying he should start. As soon as Campbell makes a single mistake or we lose one game people will be yelling for JC to be benched. If we get Sanchez and throw him in the fire and he gets manhandled (which is likely in that scenario) people will just yell that we shouldn't have let JC go or that the Sanchez draft was dumb or Colt should start. It just goes on and on and on.

Archived