Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We Have to Get a LB from USC

SuperPhreak

Matthews, Cushing Might Have Had Some Explaining To Do

Posted by Mike Florio on April 16, 2009, 9:44 p.m.

One of our more astute readers pointed out to us tonight a controversy that first arose in 2007. If we knew about it at the time, we’d forgotten about it completely.

Former USC linebackers Clay Matthews, who is regarded as potential first-round draft pick, created two years ago a Facebook group called “White Nation,” which among other things advocated the “arrest [of] black babies before they become criminals.” Former USC linebacker Brian Cushing, another potential first-round prospect, joined the Facebook group.

It was all a joke, an unnamed administration source previously told the Daily Trojan (which coincidentally was the working title of Wilt Chamberlain’s autobiography).

Apparently, the joke arose from the fact that Matthews, Cushing, and other white teammates were dubbed “White Nation” by one or more non-white USC players.

It’s unknown whether and to what extent Matthews and/or Cushing have been grilled about the incident during pre-draft interviews. But if the Niners deemed it appropriate to ask Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford about the divorce of his parents, it’s more than fair game for NFL teams to revisit the issue with Matthews and/or Cushing in order to confirm that it really was a joke — and then to attempt to discern the humor in it.

Even if we trade down, I dont want a LB as the first pick.

The league is using more 3-4 WR sets and the skins are even playing more Nickle, Dime, and 3 safety sets. Why waste a first round pick on someone who will be taken out every time we switch into those formations.

I would rather take a "tweener" OLB/DE because they can play as SLB on rushing downs and then move to LE when we put out the pass D formations.

RT or Tweener. That's my vote.

I see a comparison to the class Jason Campbell came out of at Auburn. That was a great team and alot of those guys got drafted early on. But it was because that college team had alot of above average talent that it made everyone look good. I think the same goes for USC. I wouldnt' draft a guy from there until the lower first or second round. You just don't know what yoru getting.

if we get any of these guys, i hope its b/c we trade back and get Matthews around #20 or so.

Maluaga and Cushing seem like possible huge busts.

also, does anyone really know how good these guys are other than their combine numbers?

they all had 1st round talent all around them against largely inferior opponents.

These guys right now are so over hyped it's not even funny, IMO none of them deserve to be in the 1st rd.

I have a feeling that Everette Brown will be the best talent left when we get to 13, and if we stay there he should be the pick from a value stand point.

Obviously Maualuga is the best of the 3 linebackers from USC. As people have said, if you're not the best guy you are usually over-rated. Look at the NC State defense 4 years back. Mario Williams, Manny Lawson, and John McCargo were all first rounders (McCargo didn't even have the college career warranting such a high pick, a la Cushing or Matthews). Williams was obviously the best player. He's now an elite player at his position. Lawson is an average starter, and McCargo is a bust. I'm not saying Cushing or Matthews will be McCargo bad, but I think their ceiling is as an average starter. You can't justify picking an average starter with the 13th pick overall.

Same applies to the UNC defense with Peppers. Peppers- all pro, Ryan Sims- bust. The only time this hasn't been the case, from what I remember, is the Miami d of 2004 that produced Sean Taylor- all pro, Wilfork- all pro, Vilma- good player, DJ Williams- good player. The best player on the squad is probably, at minimum, an above average starter in the league; however, the other guys can range from being good to being complete busts.

We need a LB, but if our offense is not improved over last year, we will start off where we left off last year going 2-6 for the first AND the second half. If the addition of one of these LB's makes our D so unstoppable that 10 points per game is all we need, then the Skins should go for it. Otherwise, do something to improve the offense, like drafting OL.

Currently, the only advantage I see of going with LB at 13 that it will give us high draft choices next year after we go 4-12.

Sorry, my young friend, but you're way off on this one.

LB is a position on a roster that is most ably manned by retread veterans and lower draft picks--more so than almost any position in football.

Using a top-20 pick on a LB, unless they can wreak a special kind of havoc (like Merriman), is not the best use of the draft choice.

Ether use it on a crucial position on the field (QB, LT, CB or DL), or trade down. That's been the modus operandi of the more successful organizations.

People are saying the USC linebackers only shined because of the defense they were on. If I'm not mistaken' date=' we have a pretty good defense. A top 10 defense. Perenially. So you're saying there would be such a severe drop off in production, even playing with players like Big Al, Landry, Rogers, Carter, LFB, Hall, etc. etc.

[/quote']

That's kind of the point. We have some top players on Defense already. Let's say we add the best LBer in the draft. How much higher can the #4 defense from a season ago get when we've already added the most dominant person on that side of the ball to our line.

I'm not saying the USC guys are going to be busts, I don't think that at all, but I also don't believe they're worth the 13th pick. I think we can trade back 10 spots and still get one of them, if not have our selection of 2.

Like I said, if we trade back then fine pick the best one if that's the BPA at a position of need, but I also think that if we don't address the offense, the one that was far worse than the defense last season, then we're going to be 8-8 again, maybe worse.

That's kind of the point. We have some top players on Defense already. Let's say we add the best LBer in the draft. How much higher can the #4 defense from a season ago get when we've already added the most dominant person on that side of the ball to our line.

I'm not saying the USC guys are going to be busts, I don't think that at all, but I also don't believe they're worth the 13th pick. I think we can trade back 10 spots and still get one of them, if not have our selection of 2.

Like I said, if we trade back then fine pick the best one if that's the BPA at a position of need, but I also think that if we don't address the offense, the one that was far worse than the defense last season, then we're going to be 8-8 again, maybe worse.

That's great and all but it's not my post you quoted wrong.:D

Trade down take one of the USC Lber's. You can get a good RT in the 3d round. People seem to forget that we're looking for a right tackle not left.

And Cushing could be a monster. I expect him to be a better pro than college player

Good point on the right tackle vs. left tackle need. If one of the big 4 drops, then ideally they would man the RT position and swing over to LT when Samuels retires or becomes ineffective.

These guys right now are so over hyped it's not even funny' date=' IMO none of them deserve to be in the 1st rd.

I have a feeling that Everette Brown will be the best talent left when we get to 13, and if we stay there he should be the pick from a value stand point.[/quote']

If Brown is there, I would take him provided one of the big 4 tackles is not left. Would also take Maualuga at #13 if Brown and the tackles were gone. For the rest of the USC LBs, drop back to late teens or early 20's. Matthews at least should still be there.

Obviously Maualuga is the best of the 3 linebackers from USC. As people have said, if you're not the best guy you are usually over-rated. Look at the NC State defense 4 years back. Mario Williams, Manny Lawson, and John McCargo were all first rounders (McCargo didn't even have the college career warranting such a high pick, a la Cushing or Matthews). Williams was obviously the best player. He's now an elite player at his position. Lawson is an average starter, and McCargo is a bust. I'm not saying Cushing or Matthews will be McCargo bad, but I think their ceiling is as an average starter. You can't justify picking an average starter with the 13th pick overall.

Same applies to the UNC defense with Peppers. Peppers- all pro, Ryan Sims- bust. The only time this hasn't been the case, from what I remember, is the Miami d of 2004 that produced Sean Taylor- all pro, Wilfork- all pro, Vilma- good player, DJ Williams- good player. The best player on the squad is probably, at minimum, an above average starter in the league; however, the other guys can range from being good to being complete busts.

Dam, great post......

Dam, great post......

Agreed.

In the same way it's worth taking a look at standout players on poor programs. Not saying Vanderbilt were a poor team but for a player like Jay Cutler (sorry to mention him again but his example serves a purpose) to emerge from a losing college record to be the player he is? It's worth thinking about.

Obviously Maualuga is the best of the 3 linebackers from USC. As people have said, if you're not the best guy you are usually over-rated. ....

As others have said, good point. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks Maualuga stands out vs the others. He brings a nastiness you just don't see that often. In the NFC East, that trait will be invaluable and sadly has been lacking since the passing of Sean Taylor for the skins.

Archived