Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT: Tea Parties Forever by Krugman

alexey

Maybe I'm pissed that because simply because my kids don't live with me (but I provide) 50% of their support, I have no deductions. As a result, I owe an additional $1039.75 to a god damned government who takes my money and uses it to prop up FAILURE.

My average paycheck (no shame here) is a gross $1500-1600. My NET paychecks after child support and taxes are $760, give or take.

And my money doesn't go to border enforcement increases (oh, well, it does go to border increases going SOUTH) it goes to companies that have FAILED.

Maybe I'm pissed off that simply because I want to keep MY money, not pay out the ass for proven failures, and make a damned living of my own, I'm a ****ing nut job.

But it's OK. I KNOW what happens when they piss off my base. And they do too. So bring it. :)

Fine, but be rational in your anger. That's what the idea behind these tea parties are supposed to be all about.

~Bang

Fine, but be rational in your anger. That's what the idea behind these tea parties are supposed to be all about.

~Bang

Bang, I'm tired of the mischaracterizations too. One side has "protestors" the other side has "crazies" or "nutjobs." I'm sick of being in all the groups that it's cool to mock and degrade.

But we all know I'm just a bitter cracker. :)

Bang, I'm tired of the mischaracterizations too. One side has "protestors" the other side has "crazies" or "nutjobs." I'm sick of being in all the groups that it's cool to mock and degrade.

Maybe you should vary your news sources, those terms have been applied to both sides of the spectrum and every party in between. ;)

I don't think you're looking at it fairly.

In reading through Predicto's thread on the tea party outside of his office, we got some perspectives from folks who actually went down to the events. It seems pretty clear that those who are the lunatics and whack jobs (like the Obama=Hitler loons someone mentioned) have been identified as what they are. Everyone else has been called a protester, or mostly they've been called 'people'.

The people who are using the terms 'whack jobs' are typically whack jobs themselves, just from the other side. Bloggers and internet keyboard jockeys use these terms, not the mainstream media. In terms of news agencies or any other voices that matter, that simply isn't what's going on.

Now, don't take this personally, but you're exhibiting the kind of mindset that the whackjobs DO feed off of.. you're pissed about a lot of stuff, some of it real like you mentioned in the other thread, and some of it not so real. As such you're throwing around accusations of unfairness that haven't exactly jived with reality today. The people that want you to be pissed off find it very easy to make you such if you don't stop to think about it objectively. Don't let them push your buttons so easily, because you know that is what they're doing.

~Bang

Maybe I'm pissed that because simply because my kids don't live with me (but I provide) 50% of their support, I have no deductions. As a result, I owe an additional $1039.75 to a god damned government who takes my money and uses it to prop up FAILURE.

My average paycheck (no shame here) is a gross $1500-1600. My NET paychecks after child support and taxes are $760, give or take.

And my money doesn't go to border enforcement increases (oh, well, it does go to border increases going SOUTH) it goes to companies that have FAILED.

Maybe I'm pissed off that simply because I want to keep MY money, not pay out the ass for proven failures, and make a damned living of my own, I'm a ****ing nut job.

But it's OK. I KNOW what happens when they piss off my base. And they do too. So bring it. :)

According to your income that you posted, under Obama your taxes have been reduced. You pay less taxes today then you have in YEARS.

I am lost about why you would be mad at this particular administration.

So LEFT wing protesters, burning, looting, and smashing, in the name of anarchy, or protesting the ebil world bank get coverage and are heroic members of the loyal opposition.

When did that happen? Who praised them?

RIGHT wing protesters cheering things like, oh, smaller government, lower taxes, and not bailing out companies that SHOULD FAIL are bat-**** crazy?!?!

When did that happen? Who is saying that these protestors are bat**** crazy?

**** the left. **** their media. **** their message. Let them remember what happens when THEY motivate OUR base!!!!!!!!!

*ahem*

Carry on. :)

Ah, it's kinda nice to have the old Hog back, reality be damned and all! :cheers:

whose fault is this?

It sucks to be angry and have everything going to ****, but I think you are directing your anger in destructive ways

According to your income that you posted, under Obama your taxes have been reduced. You pay less taxes today then you have in YEARS.

LoL maybe because it's like 13 bucks a pay check after he sent them a check for over a grand.

whose fault is this?

Good question. It seems likely to me that HH hardly pays anything in federal taxes, given his income bracket.

In fact, he sounds like the kind of person that guys like Hannity regularly scream about, Obama giving them a "tax cut" that they don't deserve because they don't pay income taxes.

Of course, HH still has to pay PAYROLL taxes like social security and sales taxes and stuff, but the GOP doesn't consider them taxes. It is income taxes and capital gains taxes and corporate taxes that are killing this country remember (and I doubt that HH has any of the latter two).

Economically, HH has absolutely no reason ever to follow the GOP or be at a Tea Party. His taxes are going DOWN under Obama. But if the conservatives can get him mad enough and convince him that they are fighting for "guys like him" well, maybe they can keep him in the fold.

(HH please understand that I do not mean to be talking down to you - you put the figures out there and I think they make a good example...)

LoL maybe because it's like 13 bucks a pay check after he sent them a check for over a grand.

Not disagreeing that it is a small amount at all.

But why be mad at an administration that lowers your taxes - even if a little?

The facts are simple - he is paying less taxes now than he has in years. Why the rage now against this admin?

What we pay in taxes NOW is not relevant. How are we going to pay back $20 trillion+?!?!? You know in 2018 the INTEREST that we are going to pay on this debt is going to be almost $3000/person/year. The total debt will be over $75,000/person. How is that getting paid back!? The rich cannot just foot that bill. In fact, I doubt that all of our citizens can cover that together if we raise taxes on everyone. Something has got to give, this is clearly not healthy, sane, or sustainable. If you think we are facing tough economic problems now just wait, the negative blowback of this borrowing will be catastrophic.

I think most people are mad at all politicians in general. Bush created this problem but what Obama has proposed just takes the cake and spells utter doom in the long run (and possibly the short term too). Just because Bush did it too doesn't make it right.

Why don't these righties have their Tea Parties outside the headquarters of all these corporations who find every loophole they can to not pay ONE DIME in taxes??!! How about having them in front of the giant mansions of the super rich ****s who own 90% of the wealth in this country?

Vent your anger where it should be directed. The Obama administration is trying to fix Bush's blunders AND tilt the balance back in the working class and middle classes' favor. Fox News has really warped some minds out there.

Bang,

To be honest, the mainstream media does report and quote those people who do use those terms.

EDIT: And with mainstream/corporate media there's always an agenda or slant.

Well, reporting and quoting others is an entirely different thing than espousing it themselves.

Of course media has a slant, that's kind of my point, We know they're pulling strings and pushing buttons,, so don't let them. Recognize manipulation when we see it and we can't be manipulated as easily.

~Bang

What we pay in taxes NOW is not relevant. How are we going to pay back $20 trillion+?!?!? You know in 2018 the INTEREST that we are going to pay on this debt is going to be almost $3000/person/year. The total debt will be over $75,000/person. How is that getting paid back!? The rich cannot just foot that bill. In fact, I doubt that all of our citizens can cover that together if we raise taxes on everyone. Something has got to give, this is clearly not healthy, sane, or sustainable. If you think we are facing tough economic problems now just wait, the negative blowback of this borrowing will be catastrophic.

I think most people are mad at all politicians in general. Bush created this problem but what Obama has proposed just takes the cake and spells utter doom in the long run (and possibly the short term too). Just because Bush did it too doesn't make it right.

Okay - thats, but that has nothing to do with our convo. I was responding to H_H and his specific comment, not the entire movement. He said what HE wanted was to keep for of HIS money now. I was pointing out that he is in fact keeping more of his money right now then before.

He doesn't get it. This really has nothing to do with taxes, it has everything to do with SPENDING! This is the problem. We are already in debt up to our eyeballs ($40,000 for every American) and now we're going to double that figure. That is just disaster waiting to happen.

So true, but what you don't realize is that there are those who believe that Obama needs to spend us out of this problem, and those who disagree with that approach are stupid right wing loons who don't have any good ideas other than what is being done already.

The problem we have with not only obama but those who agree with him, think that their way is the only way.

And no I don't make a ton of money.

People who over spent on their house and couldn't pay their mortgage got a free pass on their refianance and a tax return.

When do I get a freebie ?

Dude, why so grim, Obama is helping you out with his tax break.......Isn't that $13 a month a wonderful thing?? :D

Why don't these righties have their Tea Parties outside the headquarters of all these corporations who find every loophole they can to not pay ONE DIME in taxes??!! How about having them in front of the giant mansions of the super rich ****s who own 90% of the wealth in this country?

Vent your anger where it should be directed. The Obama administration is trying to fix Bush's blunders AND tilt the balance back in the working class and middle classes' favor. Fox News has really warped some minds out there.

If you are going to complain why not go to the CEO of these corporations which is now the US Government. I would say the majority of the people protesting today were middle class average Americans. One of the reasons for their protest is they don't want our dumb ass government determining how much money any given person can make, some might call this The American Dream.

If you are going to complain why not go to the CEO of these corporations which is now the US Government. I would say the majority of the people protesting today were middle class average Americans.

Well, average Americans sure have become very misinformed then.

One of the reasons for their protest is they don't want our dumb ass government determining how much money any given person can make, some might call this The American Dream.

You mean The American Fantasy? The American Dream is something that only about 0.007% of Americans live, that is if you're talking about having a net worth of at least $1 million, excluding primary residences.

So true, but what you don't realize is that there are those who believe that Obama needs to spend us out of this problem, and those who disagree with that approach are stupid right wing loons who don't have any good ideas other than what is being done already.

The problem we have with not only obama but those who agree with him, think that their way is the only way.

Exactly, since the credit bubble burst it seems like Washington is just trying to replace reckless borrowing from the private sector with reckless government borrowing. The level of this debt is just astronomical and the outcomes of these actions will be far more disasterous than what we are experiencing in our current economic crisis.

Archived