Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which Redskins vet is most likely to become our comeback player of the year?

Oldfan

Two obvious questions about Heyer, if he's a better LT by your estimation, why did he win the RT spot last year out of camp? By virtue of that and Cerrato stating last month that Heyer is exclusively a RT now, doesn't that indicate that our coaches feel differently?

Jansen was playing last year when our OL turned into mush in the 2nd half of the season to so to say he's a better prospect at starting RT going into '09 ins a stretch, isn't it?

While playing overweight, Jansen still took the RT starting position back from Heyer. So, can't we assume that the coaches feel they made a mistake in starting Heyer?

Cerrato's comments about Heyer being exclusively a RT might mean the coaches think that Stephon is currently needed more at RT than as a backup for Samuels.

I had a feeling somebody would say that when I realized the wording of the title.

but if thats the case, who do we have that has notches on their resume?

- Daniels? nah, not much there

- Wynn? Same

- Carter? He's had some multiple sack seasons, but has he been 'bad'?

- Fletcher? Has he had a bad season?

- Rogers? Has he had a real good season?

- Landry? He's been in the rise since we drafted him

The only real players I see eligible for this award are Moss and Hall. Both have put up really good seasons in the past, but have been pretty mediocre (to bad) lately.

I think all the players that other posters have mentioned seriously are good candidates for the reasons given in support. If Big Al helps Carter get back to a dozen sacks, I like his chances after Jansen's.

3) Stephon Heyer's best natural position is at left tackle since he performs better against speed rushers. We saw some evidence of this when he backed up Samuels last season. Between the two, Jansen's techniques are better than Heyer's for handling the bull rushing DEs he will face at the RT position;

Not to disagree, but Vinny said rather emphatically in an interview a few weeks ago that Heyer is "He's a Right Tackle".

My vote is for Carlos Rogers. Why? D-hall is going to light up a few QBs early, and they are going to start throwing away from him, and Carlos will step up and make em pay ;)

Not to disagree, but Vinny said rather emphatically in an interview a few weeks ago that Heyer is "He's a Right Tackle".

Those were'nt his exact words. As I said before...

Cerrato's comments about Heyer being exclusively a RT might mean the coaches think that Stephon is currently needed more at RT than as a backup for Samuels.

Don't forget that the question was posed to Cerrato by the media because Stephon had performed surpisingly well at the LT after Samuels was lost.

My vote is for Carlos Rogers. Why? D-hall is going to light up a few QBs early, and they are going to start throwing away from him, and Carlos will step up and make em pay ;)

Rogers is another good candidate because his play suffered when he wore down over the long season after a major knee rehab and the Big Al factor which will make us a more aggressive team in rushing the passer will help him.

My pick is a veteran who didn't even play last year, is said to handle fairly well the duties at a perceived position of need, and is the only player with a known nickname that actually includes the relevant term. That's right, folks, the 2009-10 Redskins Comeback Player of the Year will be.....

"Comeback Joe" Montana. :evilg:

Phillip Daniels, he got injured on the first or second play of training camp last year, doesn't take much to become much improved.

The only thing I've heard about the first round OTs in the draft is people questioning whether or not they'll be able to start at LT, and usually if I've seen or heard someone say that it's followed by a statement like, "but they'd make a solid RT". I don't want any of the rookies, except Eugene Monroe starting for me at LT this season, but I definitely think Andre Smith can start for you at RT. I've heard similar things of Oher and Ebon Britton.

Smith has had his work ethic questioned among other things, but that doesn't mean he can't come in and blow some people away. I'm REALLY excited about him, I'd much rather trade down and pick up one of the guys in the 2nd who might be a good fit at RT (or maybe a really really good right guard, Loadholt, Robinson, Beatty, or Herman Johnson).

Sorry, I completely digressed and went off topic, but I definitely think Daniels is our Comeback Player of the Year.

I would really like to see Ladell Betts rack up yards like he did 2 years ago. I really think he will.

If Jim Zorn wants to achieve his goal of a 60/40 pass/run ratio, Ladell will likely get more playing time because of his ability as a pass receiver. Portis will get the call in short yardage and red zone situations, but he will get fewer carries overall than in previous years.

Carlos Rogers...this is the year he will learn how to catch and will be a top 5 CB (then he will be gone next year)

I keep hearing people say he will learn to catch. What makes this year any different than last? He was working on his hands last year. The man can't catch...period.

Don't worry. If they want to keep him, they can tag him.

I keep hearing people say he will learn to catch. What makes this year any different than last? He was working on his hands last year. The man can't catch...period.

Don't worry. If they want to keep him, they can tag him.

i think its more hope than any legit reason to believe

Dont forget Jansen's last offseason was spent rehabbing that terrible injury he had. I heard him talking about how the time he would have spent training, he had to spend relearning how to walk.

I dont know if he will make it back to that high level we remember from him, but I expect him to be better. As far as comeback player? I dont know, we will see how Daniels plays as well.

Those were'nt his exact words. As I said before...

Don't forget that the question was posed to Cerrato by the media because Stephon had performed surpisingly well at the LT after Samuels was lost.

Rogers is another good candidate because his play suffered when he wore down over the long season after a major knee rehab and the Big Al factor which will make us a more aggressive team in rushing the passer will help him.

Doc Walker Asked Cerrato in an Interview:

Walker: "What about Stephon Heyer?"

Cerrato: "Stephon is playing right tackle. That's it. He is a right tackle. He is playing right tackle right now. I said, 'hey, Stephon. Take that job. Go get that job.' ..."

I heard an archive of this interview, and Ceratto to me seemed to be saying that he IS a Right Tackle. Not a Generic tackle, a Right tackle.

I see the distinction you are trying to make, but for the argument I made, you can't separate the two because my point is that it unlikely that either will be our starter in 2009.

Whether it is because they aren't likely to be picked or because they both need time to develop really doesn't make a difference.

If the Redskins draft one of the top six OTs. It is more likely than not that he will be the planned primary starter at RT this season.

Doc Walker Asked Cerrato in an Interview:

Walker: "What about Stephon Heyer?"

Cerrato: "Stephon is playing right tackle. That's it. He is a right tackle. He is playing right tackle right now. I said, 'hey, Stephon. Take that job. Go get that job.' ..."

I heard an archive of this interview, and Ceratto to me seemed to be saying that he IS a Right Tackle. Not a Generic tackle, a Right tackle.

"He is playing right tackle right now" sounds like a qualifying, non-definitive statement to me.

"I said, 'hey, Stephon. Take that job. Go get that job.' ..." is what I would tell Stephon since he has no chance at unseating Chris Samuels at the left tackle position.

Archived