Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which Redskins vet is most likely to become our comeback player of the year?

Oldfan

I like Jon Jansen's chances of being our starting RT again this season and giving us a decent performance because:

1) Vinny doesn't want to miss with the 13th pick. If he can't trade down, he will take the BPA most likely to contribute in 2009. Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe appear to be the only OTs good enough to start in the NFL in 2009. They are both likely to go higher than #13 in the draft;

2) Dan's win-now goal suggests a possible trade up scenario should Smith or Monroe slide a bit, but the cost of such a move is likely to be prohibitive so it's unlikely to happen;

3) Stephon Heyer's best natural position is at left tackle since he performs better against speed rushers. We saw some evidence of this when he backed up Samuels last season. Between the two, Jansen's techniques are better than Heyer's for handling the bull rushing DEs he will face at the RT position;

4) Jansen is slow afoot, a deficiency exacerbated by playing the 2008 season with 30% bodyfat, a problem he has recognized and is motivated to correct in 2009;

5) Even playing overweight in 2008, Jansen was a better run blocker than Heyer.

So, since we are unlikely to add a starting RT out of the draft, and since Heyer's skillset is not suited for the position, a lighter, better-conditioned Jon Jansen is likely to be our RT again and perform well enough to be the Redskins comeback player in 2009.

There are other candidates. Make your pick and please give your reasons.

I hope Jansen is not afforded to opportunity as I would like a top OT prospect in this years draft. Even Britton or Beaty would be fantastic.

I would have to say Daniels, Griffin, or Carter. The DL will benefit greatly from Haynesworth, so I would have to say that someone on the DL. Considering Daniels is coming off surgery and has the best work ethic and is still in incredible shape, I will have to go with Daniels as the best "come back" candidate.

Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe appear to be the only OTs good enough to start in the NFL in 2009.

Uh, Andre Smith? Many scouts have him ranked very high, but he has slipped because of poor numbers and leaving the combine early. But on film, he is the best out of the top four prospects. Michael Oher has mixed reports, but at RT, there is no doubt he can come in right away and start this year.

I'm not sure what you are basing your analysis on.

over the past 20 seasons, non skill guys have won it 3 times. its usually RB/QB/WR, some sort of offensive skill position. daniels isnt good enough to win it, and no other vets are coming off super down years.

i guess for the redskins themselves itd be either daniels or jansen, but both of them are getting so old itd be tough to imagine either of them having a crazy season.

Stephon Heyer's best natural position is at left tackle since he performs better against speed rushers. We saw some evidence of this when he backed up Samuels last season.

I don't recall that at all OF. From what I've seen, he struggles greatly against such DL. Samuels has his problems with such DL also and he is obviously the much better OT of the two. IMO, Heyer's problem is footwork, and overall technique - not his strength.

Uh, Andre Smith? Many scouts have him ranked very high, but he has slipped because of poor numbers and leaving the combine early. But on film, he is the best out of the top four prospects. Michael Oher has mixed reports, but at RT, there is no doubt he can come in right away and start this year.

I'm not sure what you are basing your analysis on.

Since I'm not a qualified scout and haven't reviewed the game film, I making my analysis based on a CONSENSUS of several of the more respected mocks.

Andre Smith is sliding for a reason. He doesn't appear to be a well-conditioned athlete with the self-discipline to take his career seriously enough. His work ethic has to be questioned.

Oher's lack of intelligence will be a problem for his coaches and his play has been described as erratic at the college level.

I think this adds up to too much risk for Vinny to pull the trigger on either at #13.

Since I'm not a qualified scout and haven't reviewed the game film, I making my analysis based on a CONSENSUS of several of the more respected mocks.

Andre Smith is sliding for a reason. He doesn't appear to be a well-conditioned athlete with the self-discipline to take his career seriously enough. His work ethic has to be questioned.

Oher's lack of intelligence will be a problem for his coaches and his play has been described as erratic at the college level.

I think this adds up to too much risk for Vinny to pull the trigger on either at #13.

It doesn't mean that can't start in 2009 which was my only point. Vinny taking them or not is one thing. Them being able to start and contribut right away is another.

Phillip Daniels playing on an improved line with Haynesworth and hopefully with a rookie LB such as Maualuga or Cushing behind him should be able to be a stout run defender and rack up a couple of sacks. For him to be able to come back from his injury, at his age, would be a nice comeback story.

Jansen's been done since he returned from his first injury, last year he was TERRIBLE. I just don't see how 33 year old tackles with 2 devastating leg injuries in the past 5 years return to form at this stage in his career.

Stephon Heyer's best natural position is at left tackle since he performs better against speed rushers. We saw some evidence of this when he backed up Samuels last season. Between the two, Jansen's techniques are better than Heyer's for handling the bull rushing DEs he will face at the RT position;

Even playing overweight in 2008, Jansen was a better run blocker than Heyer.

So, since we are unlikely to add a starting RT out of the draft, and since Heyer's skillset is not suited for the position, a lighter, better-conditioned Jon Jansen is likely to be our RT again and perform well enough to be the Redskins comeback player in 2009.

There are other candidates. Make your pick and please give your reasons.

Two obvious questions about Heyer, if he's a better LT by your estimation, why did he win the RT spot last year out of camp? By virtue of that and Cerrato stating last month that Heyer is exclusively a RT now, doesn't that indicate that our coaches feel differently?

Jansen was playing last year when our OL turned into mush in the 2nd half of the season to so to say he's a better prospect at starting RT going into '09 ins a stretch, isn't it?

I cast my vote Mr. Suisham. If for no other reason that if he wins it it means he made a ton more kicks than he did last year (not a hard thing to do) and more points will help us win more games. Then again, I am not even sure he is in the lineup come opening day. I just can't think of another vet other than Daniels who could "comeback"

I don't recall that at all OF. From what I've seen, he struggles greatly against such DL. Samuels has his problems with such DL also and he is obviously the much better OT of the two. IMO, Heyer's problem is footwork, and overall technique - not his strength.

It isn't his strength, but his techniques that give Heyer a problem with the bull rushers at RT. Jansen is more consistent with the bull rushers because he gets leverage (body lean) to match theirs. Heyer is easier to move because he is often playing straight up.

As analogy, Heyer is like a RB who is easy to bring down because he runs straight up (Jesse Lumsden) rather than with forward lean (Portis and Betts).

Heyer, on the other hand, has quicker feet than Jansen which allows him to steer lighter speed rushers like Jason Taylor around the edge and away from the pocket.

I'd put my money on either Carter or Griffin. Playing next to Haynesworth should open up a lot of one on one opportunities. I can see Griffin having another one of those 6 sack seasons and Carter hitting double digits.

Also may want to consider Landry. He had a bit of a quiet year last year. Expect QBs to be pressured more and make riskier throws. I hope Landry has a break out year.

Heyer, on the other hand, has quicker feet than Jansen which allows him to steer lighter speed rushers like Jason Taylor around the edge and away from the pocket.

I agree that Heyer has quicker feet than Jansen, but thats not saying much. In Heyer's rookie year, he struggled against speed rushers. Obviously he improved, but I don't recall him doing anything worth noting against any speed rushers last year. If I am wrong, please refresh my memory.

It doesn't mean that can't start in 2009 which was my only point. Vinny taking them or not is one thing. Them being able to start and contribut right away is another.

I see the distinction you are trying to make, but for the argument I made, you can't separate the two because my point is that it unlikely that either will be our starter in 2009.

Whether it is because they aren't likely to be picked or because they both need time to develop really doesn't make a difference.

I'd put my money on either Carter or Griffin. Playing next to Haynesworth should open up a lot of one on one opportunities. I can see Griffin having another one of those 6 sack seasons and Carter hitting double digits.

Also may want to consider Landry. He had a bit of a quiet year last year. Expect QBs to be pressured more and make riskier throws. I hope Landry has a break out year.

With Haynesworth and Daniels back, I am willing to put Carter puts up about 12 sacks this season.

Phillip Daniels playing on an improved line with Haynesworth and hopefully with a rookie LB such as Maualuga or Cushing behind him should be able to be a stout run defender and rack up a couple of sacks. For him to be able to come back from his injury, at his age, would be a nice comeback story.

Daniels has to be considered because of the Big Al factor as you say. Griffin and Carter are candidates for the same reason.

Jansen's been done since he returned from his first injury, last year he was TERRIBLE. I just don't see how 33 year old tackles with 2 devastating leg injuries in the past 5 years return to form at this stage in his career.

Jansen doesn't have to return to his pre-2004 form to give us a boost over what we've seen from the RT position in the past few years. It's the weakest position on the team. All he has to do is play at a grade C level.

I cast my vote Mr. Suisham. If for no other reason that if he wins it it means he made a ton more kicks than he did last year (not a hard thing to do) and more points will help us win more games. Then again, I am not even sure he is in the lineup come opening day. I just can't think of another vet other than Daniels who could "comeback"

Suisham is not as good as he was in 2007 nor as bad as he looked in 2008. He's likely to comeback to average this year and win a game for us.

I agree that Heyer has quicker feet than Jansen, but thats not saying much. In Heyer's rookie year, he struggled against speed rushers. Obviously he improved, but I don't recall him doing anything worth noting against any speed rushers last year. If I am wrong, please refresh my memory.

In Heyer's rookie year, Jason Taylor had high praise for him after the Miami game. Taylor, of course, is a speed rusher.

As a backup left tackle last year, Stephon drew praise for his work when Samuels was lost for the season. The OLT, of course, sees more speed rushers than the RT.

I'll sound like a Jason detractor in saying this, but you have to have achieved something previously in order to make a comeback.

I had a feeling somebody would say that when I realized the wording of the title.

but if thats the case, who do we have that has notches on their resume?

- Daniels? nah, not much there

- Wynn? Same

- Carter? He's had some multiple sack seasons, but has he been 'bad'?

- Fletcher? Has he had a bad season?

- Rogers? Has he had a real good season?

- Landry? He's been in the rise since we drafted him

The only real players I see eligible for this award are Moss and Hall. Both have put up really good seasons in the past, but have been pretty mediocre (to bad) lately.

Archived