Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Football City-Denver,Chicago or DC?

veteranskinsfan

I will tell you one thing. From Montana to New Mexico the donks rule the Rocky Mountain region. More of a regional team than just a city.

True, but the population in that region isn't very dense overall, I don't think. I wonder how, population wise they match up, not city to city, but total fanbase to total fanbase.

Of course we do.

I would also add Buffalo to the list. They have a rabid loyalty and great tailgating. One of the best tailgating experiences I've ever had....though we lost to them that day. :doh:

Throw Green Bay in there too.

You are right there............ Been there to watch the Skins play. I did not enjoy those games. Were you there in 03? that was brutal. I must have stuck in a rough area. Best seats I ever had.... Row 1, Met Champ there.

I don't see how anyone can make an informed opinion about this without living in each of the respective cities for a number of years or attending a multitude of games at the respective stadiums. Did Eisen elaborate on why he thought Washington was a better football city than the other two? It would be nice to know how he came to this conclusion.

You don't need to live in a city for a number of years to get a feel for the sports atmosphere. The way I see it, it breaks down like this...

The Redskins have been the only consistently decent show in DC for most of the last 40 years and have built up a lot of loyalty as such. The Bullets/Wizards have had limited success but the good years are few and far between, the Senators/Nationals are a joke, and the Caps have only recently really started to heat up and get attention. Considering that the Skins haven't even been legitimate contenders to reach the Super Bowl since 1992, the resiliency of the fans is astounding and is a large reason for their good rep.

Chicago is a GREAT sports town all-around (better than DC, I'd say). The problem is that the focus isn't just on one team. The White Sox, Cubs, Bulls, and Bears all share the limelight pretty equally. All four have a pretty rabid following but for the most part it seems that people tend to rally most behind whichever team is lighting it up at the moment. The Bears, like the Skins, have only had a handful of good seasons since 1992 and during that time Michael Jordan and the Bulls were tearing it up. Simply put, the Bears aren't THE team of Chicago.

The Denver area is nice and it certainly is sprawling but there just isn't the same kind of population density that there is in DC and Chicago. It doesn't seem to have quite the sports town vibe, either. As wysknz1 mentioned already, the Bronco's are more of a regional team.

You don't need to live in a city for a number of years to get a feel for the sports atmosphere. The way I see it, it breaks down like this...

The Redskins have been the only consistently decent show in DC for most of the last 40 years and have built up a lot of loyalty as such. The Bullets/Wizards have had limited success but the good years are few and far between, the Senators/Nationals are a joke, and the Caps have only recently really started to heat up and get attention. Considering that the Skins haven't even been legitimate contenders to reach the Super Bowl since 1992, the resiliency of the fans is astounding and is a large reason for their good rep.

Chicago is a GREAT sports town all-around (better than DC, I'd say). The problem is that the focus isn't just on one team. The White Sox, Cubs, Bulls, and Bears all share the limelight pretty equally. All four have a pretty rabid following but for the most part it seems that people tend to rally most behind whichever team is lighting it up at the moment. The Bears, like the Skins, have only had a handful of good seasons since 1992 and during that time Michael Jordan and the Bulls were tearing it up. Simply put, the Bears aren't THE team of Chicago.

The Denver area is nice and it certainly is sprawling but there just isn't the same kind of population density that there is in DC and Chicago. It doesn't seem to have quite the sports town vibe, either. As wysknz1 mentioned already, the Bronco's are more of a regional team.

Good points, but again......where was our fans "resilence" on Monday night against the Steelers?

I'm not saying that reputations don't play in forming opinions, but they can be misleading as pertains to the present. And I just don't think people can form "vaild" opinions based on hearsay.

I think we are the best fans but just to play devils advocate................

Pittsburg - MNF - Fed Ex Field :doh:

I really dont see it as that bad. There is such a high number of Pittsburgh natives in the area. How many of those fans lived 5 miles away from the stadium? Probably a good number.

If these Pitt fans who live here get to see them play once every eight years, they're gonna go. I know it isnt exactly like that, but you get the point.

I really dont see it as that bad. There is such a high number of Pittsburgh natives in the area. How many of those fans lived 5 miles away from the stadium? Probably a good number.

If these Pitt fans who live here get to see them play once every eight years, they're gonna go. I know it isnt exactly like that, but you get the point.

Um.......who did they get the tickets from?

Um.......who did they get the tickets from?

Stubhub and such, the same place tons of redskins fans get their tickets. They just bought them instead before we could, it happens all the time all around the NFL.

If there are enough Steeler fans living in the area its going to happen.

Stubhub and such, the same place tons of redskins fans get their tickets. They just bought them instead before we could, it happens all the time all around the NFL.

If there are enough Steeler fans living in the area its going to happen.

And Stubhub got the tickets from?

Nice to here

Still' date=' when I heard that the trade didn't go through because Denver liked ORton over Campbell that really made me sad. For reasons that I will never know denver thought that orton was a better QB than CAmpbell.[/quote']

I have a feeling, it's not that they liked Orton better, I think it has more to do with they got more out of that deal than the Skins were offering.

We do some dumb shiat in our FO, but I didn't see us pulling the trigger on 2 number 1's, a 3, and our current starting QB.

I have a feeling, it's not that they liked Orton better, I think it has more to do with they got more out of that deal than the Skins were offering.

We do some dumb shiat in our FO, but I didn't see us pulling the trigger on 2 number 1's, a 3, and our current starting QB.

Well, according to the Peter King article Bubba posted, we were ready to at least give up JC and two first-rounders.

And Stubhub got the tickets from?

The same redskins fans that sell tickets to other redskins fans on most other gamedays through stubhub. Again, with the large number of Pitt fans it easy to buy up the tickets. Youre acting as if ever single Steeler fan in FedEx that night was personally given a ticket by a Redskins fan. Nope.

It ain't DC anymore. That makes me sad. Too many years of mediocrity, high ticket prices, and broken hearts have dulled this town. Used to be DC, Cleveland, and Green Bay were the best. Not sure who really is today.

I think that the fact that we have been mired in mediocrity and still are considered one of best FOOTBALL cities proves that even with broken hearts and over priced tickets D.C. fans are the best. We can take an emotional and sometimes physical beating and still come back for more. We bleed B&G for life.... HAIL

The same redskins fans that sell tickets to other redskins fans on most other gamedays through stubhub. Again, with the large number of Pitt fans it easy to buy up the tickets. Youre acting as if ever single Steeler fan in FedEx that night was personally given a ticket by a Redskins fan. Nope.

Well, fullnelson, you would have to assume that the overwhelming Steelers fans in attendance that night acquired their tickets thriough Stubhub, which were made available on the site by Redskins season ticket holders.

Now, I agree with you that many times, fellow Redskins fans are going to be the ones buying those seats, but not for that particular game, as, like you said, there are a lot of Steeler fans who live in the DC area, they hadn't been in DC for a regular game since 1988, etc.

Still, if that many tickets are regularly available on Stubhub, what does that say about our season-ticket holding fanbase, which, like it or not, is a reflection and goes a long way toward the reputation of the fanbase as a whole?

Well, fullnelson, you would have to assume that the overwhelming Steelers fans in attendance that night acquired their tickets thriough Stubhub, which were made available on the site by Redskins season ticket holders.

Now, I agree with you that many times, fellow Redskins fans are going to be the ones buying those seats, but not for that particular game, as, like you said, there are a lot of Steeler fans who live in the DC area, they hadn't been in DC for a regular game since 1988, etc.

Still, if that many tickets are regularly available on Stubhub, what does that say about our season-ticket holding fanbase, which, like it or not, is a reflection and goes a long way toward the reputation of the fanbase as a whole?

I really dont judge fanbases on the number of tickets available, especially when one (Redskins) has such a large stadium. As someone who buys a lot of stuff on Stubhub and browses the site a lot, I can tell you that a number of historic NFL teams have a boatload of tickets available for every game: Green Bay, the Giants, Cleveland. Its not so much of a judgement of a teams fanbase as it is a reflection of today's fast paced and instantaeous internet society.

Whoa, I got a little philosophical there.

I'd say in terms of fans, D.C., Green Bay, and Kansas City are at the top. Denver fans are good fans but can't match the Chiefs fans IMO. Before they moved to an indoor stadium, I'd have put Vikings fans above the Packers fans. During the Tarkenton years, there were no better fans in the league. The Green Bay fans filling a stadium in 20-below weather is something else. RalJon is a third empty in a heavy rain.

Archived