Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Campbell Ready To Move Forward

elkabong82

What's your view after the Cutler trade situation?  

256 members have voted

1. 1. What's your view after the Cutler trade situation?

• Snyder and Vinny just go after each shiny new FA and trade bait without thinking
    • Snyder and Vinny were smart to realize Campbell will never be the answer
    • The media will always overhype anything having to do with the Skins, real or not
    • The fans here on ES are bi-polar when it comes to both the players and the FO
    • Something else entirely

Saw this in breaking news.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Click link for entire article

Campbell Says He's Ready to Move Forward

Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell said he plans to move forward and "to do everythingI can do to help us get to where we want to be as a team" after the team failed to acquire quarterback Jay Cutler from the Denver Broncos and trade Campbell.

The Broncos traded Cutler today to Chicago for a package that includes Kyle Orton, two first-round draft picks and the swap of third- and fifth-round picks. Campbell acknowledged that he was disappointed in having his name involved in the trade speculation, "but you can't let that get to you. You really just have to understand what it is. That's the business side of it and you have to go do your job still."

Campbell said he spoke with Coach Jim Zorn after completing his workout today at Redskins Park and said that Zorn was very supportive and encouraging, telling him that they are in this together and that Campbell is his quarterback.

"That meant a lot to me," Campbell said, "to know that he's behind me and he's been behind me all along. You need to have that trust with your head coach because he's the one I'm going to be dealing with most of the time. I know that the coaches and my teammates are behind me. I trust them. That means a lot to me."

--- I know it's been said before, but if Cutler had displayed such a level of maturity he'd still be in Denver. I don't think there is any drama in Washington at QB. We tried to get a QB the FO thought was better, but we weren't willing to give up the farm for him. Campbell is handling this the correct way, we all should be too, IMO.

Our best chance to succeed this season will be if Zorn and Campbell get together and say ... **** everyone lets go out there and prove to everyone they are idiots ...

Agreed. I like Zorn. I do believe this is the year for both of them, or they'll both be out. In this economy, being jobless is a hell of a motivation to perform.

Our best chance to succeed this season will be if Zorn and Campbell get together and say ... **** everyone lets go out there and prove to everyone they are idiots ...

That should have been the mentality from the get-go. Hopefully, that will truely be the case this season.

I would actually believe that the trade stuff was the front office's doing and not Zorn's. Therefore, Zorn and Campbell can move on from this as if nothing has changed.

Which is one of the main benefits of separation between the coaching staff and the FO. You can actually have a FO who can explore such deals without it becoming an issue if it doesn't happen.

Maybe now that Campbell knows Zorn is behind him and that he HAS to prove himself this season he will finally pick up some swagger.

I could see the old spice commercial now.

"Campbell steps back to pass and has devin. Thomas going deep, he hesitates and is sacked".

"That was me Jason Campbell before I started trusting my WRs to make plays, now look at me 6 straight superbowl wins."

Which is one of the main benefits of separation between the coaching staff and the FO. You can actually have a FO who can explore such deals without it becoming an issue if it doesn't happen.

I agree. And while I may be looking for a silver lining, its not unheard of for sucessful football teams to have an internal "us against them" mentality, where one part of the team uses a distain for another part of the team as motivation. The 85 bears come to mind. So what if the team and coaches go out and play with an "i'm going to show that jerk off owner and GM how good I really am" attitude. Great, get it done.

I think Zorn can use that to his advantage to rally this team and get everyone moving forward on the same page. It's kind of the same way workers identify with each other because they all hate their boss. Even though everyone is part of the same organization, the coaches and players can separate themselves and come together through this.

I agree. And while I may be looking for a silver lining, its not unheard of for sucessful football teams to have an internal "us against them" mentality, where one part of the team uses a distain for another part of the team as motivation. The 85 bears come to mind. So what if the team and coaches go out and play with an "i'm going to show that jerk off owner and GM how good I really am" attitude. Great, get it done.
I think Zorn can use that to his advantage to rally this team and get everyone moving forward on the same page. It's kind of the same way workers identify with each other because they all hate their boss. Even though everyone is part of the same organization, the coaches and players can separate themselves and come together through this.

I think you guys get the wrong impression. It is the job of the FO to try to improve the talent level of the team. That often involves talking with other teams about trading your own players. Sometimes, that information gets out into the public.

I have no problem at all with what the FO did. Considering how Campbell has done so far, the team would have been foolish not to investigate what it would take to get Cutler and what they could get in return for Campbell. Course, they would have been bigger fools to make the deal that the Bears made, IMO.

I think you guys get the wrong impression. It is the job of the FO to try to improve the talent level of the team. That often involves talking with other teams about trading your own players. Sometimes, that information gets out into the public.

I have no problem at all with what the FO did. Considering how Campbell has done so far, the team would have been foolish not to investigate what it would take to get Cutler and what they could get in return for Campbell. Course, they would have been bigger fools to make the deal that the Bears made, IMO.

No I get that, the FO has the right to look at whomever they want, but that doesn't mean players' feelings won't get hurt. Therefore, you have to find a way to repair relationships if that's the case, no matter how big of a crybaby they seem or how non-chalant they might be. Zorn's absence in the negotiations/explorations of outside talent can be an avenue to keep this team together if a rift between talent and management were to ever occur.

Ultimately this works out best for us. If Campbell doesn't play well this year we can always find another quarterback. I feel like we've gotta give the guy 2 years in one system before we completely give up. Not to mention the fact that giving up 2 #1 draft picks would've killed this franchise since we have so many other holes to fill. Now at least we can get a decent player for either RT or OLB and go from there. If we hadn't already traded away half our draft picks maybe I'd feel differently, but right now we just need to stand pat and pick up a couple good young players.

It'd be great if Campbell did an F-U to the team and performed so well he deserved a 10 mil a year contract.

What if he got offered that, said **** you to Dan Snyder's face, and joined another team. He'd officially be my hero.

I agree. I dont think Cutler and losing two 1sts would fix the holes at OT, LB, DE, along with fixing the inability to score in the RZ.

Yes, saying FOUR letter words always helps accomplish things.

Archived