Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Blog: More on Devin Thomas (includes 7+ min interview with Larry Michael)

SkinsMaster88

Link: http://blog.redskins.com/2009/03/27/devin-thomas-continues-to-say-the-right-things/

Devin Thomas Continues To Say The Right Things

Posted Mar 27th 2009 1:34PM by Matt Terl

Well, the Devin Thomas Positivity Train 2009 makes another stop today on Comcast SportsNet's Redskins Nation, where Thomas sits down with Larry Michael and is perfectly upfront about what went wrong last year, what he hopes to do about it this year, and what the story is with Malcolm Kelly.

For those of you who don't receive Redskins Nation, the audio of the interview is after the jump, but here -- since it's been a transcribe-y kind of day for me anyhow -- are a couple of the choice quotes.

On reports that he came in last season out of shape:

Thomas: "When it really boils down to it, the NFL is a different shape you've gotta be in. That's point blank, period. I felt like coming in I was in good shape, you know, I was in better shape than I'd normally be in, but for the NFL, I probably wasn't ready. I probably needed to do more.

"And, you know, that showed in not being able to pass the conditioning test. But that's something I had to learn with that, and I definitely learned that, like, 'Man, I've gotta do more, like even extra.'

"And I think that played a role in it. Then the preseason came and I pulled a hammy, but that was just due to working hard in the practices and overexerting myself.

On this year's conditioning test:

Thomas: "Oh, man, I'm down here with John [Hastings], our weight room guy, all the time, just getting ready for it, whatever it is. If it's the same test or not, I'm gonna make sure I'm ready for it."

Plenty more here in the audio.

[Audio at link]

Wow.

Great interview there by Larry Michael. Cleared up a lot of smokey areas for me. I can't help but like the guy. Seems to have really grown up over the last year. I'm expecting good things from both him and Malcolm next year!

Thanks for the post SM!

DT has a lot of physical ability. Lately everything I hear about him is very positive. I hope he can deliver what he is capable of, because he really could be a game breaker. If him AND Malcolm can get it together our offense will improve greatly.

Just backs up all the positivity I have been trying to spread the whole time. Devin and Malcom will be fine and they will contribute to the growth of this WCO. I am loving the interviews and the pessimists need to relax.

.Hail2theRedskinz.

It's funny how this is about to fall off the first page. But the thread that's all about bashing Devin is 10 pages long.

Just proves that the haters come out of the woodwork and flock to that thread. But if there's one praising a guy, they sit in the corner with their ****ing mouth shut.

Totally ridiculous.

But..but.. JLC said he was lazy and had character concerns. This can't be right.

As such, it probably couldn't be more true that Thomas was the least laziest, best character guy we had on our team.

I love JLC's post simply for the fact that he gives us the best scoop. We just have to do a little deducing on our part. When he says something like, "Skins won't sign Haynesworth," or, "WR Thomas has very bad traits," you can bet that Thomas is a saint, and Haynesworth would go on to sign a nice contract.

First of all let me just say that I absolutely love the fact that Thomas used Thrash as an example as to who he was trying to mimic as a professional.

Secondly, let me find out that our players are super sensitive.:hysterical:

As ****y of a person that D.Jackson is for the Eagles...I've never heard of anyone on that team having a problem with him.

I'm pretty sure it's a 4.5 even. But his height and weight are correct.

Devin Thomas, 2008 NFL Draft Prospect

Wide Receiver

6' 1" 216 lbs.

Junior

Michigan State

Speed: 4.34

Scouting Report by: Daryl Breault

Bursting onto the scene as a junior, Devin Thomas led the Big Ten in receiving yards/game (102.2) and all-purpose yards per game (197.5) while his 4.40/40 has led me to finally declare something I’ve been suspecting for many months now: Devin Thomas is a 1st round pick.

He is comparable to Malcolm Kelly in that both are big receivers with natural skills and enough of a burst to gain separation. Where they differ is that Thomas has much better top end speed than expected while Kelly does not have the breakaway speed to be a deep threat. Kelly has lead receiver potential, but might be better suited to lining up among a couple speedy receivers. Thomas on the other hand, has the potential to be a game changer like Owens.

Despite his inexperience he displays sound route running and has the size you are looking for. Some have him pegged as a West Coast receiver, but he is more than that. He can get deep while having the agility and athleticism to run reverses, catch screens and be an above average kick returner. He set a school single season record with 2,590 all-purpose yards, including a school record 79 catches for 1,260 yards and 8 TD, and had 54 plays of 20-yards or more. Despite being a larger receiver, he is just as much of a threat to go the distance as Steve Smith, Santana Moss or Lee Evans. Thomas is a fluid receiver that can dominate a single cornerback and as MSU’s lone big weapon required frequent attention from safeties

Clic link for rest of article http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2008_nfl_draft/Devin%20Thomas.htm

Archived