Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Blog: More on Devin Thomas (includes 7+ min interview with Larry Michael)

SkinsMaster88

i still dont expect much from devin this upcoming year, he just had such limited experience in college.

3rd year is when i expect big things from him

remember how terrible roddy white was in his first 2 years? remember that wide open TD he dropped in his 2nd year? now hes one of the best

Thomas ran a 4.40 at the combine. http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=67905&draftyear=2008&genpos=WR

Edit: Using Google seems to show that Devin Thomas' unofficial time was 4.34, but his official time was 4.40.

I found a site that him running even faster than a 4.34.:)

http://walterfootball.com/combine2008WR.php

Devin Thomas, Michigan State

Height: 6-1. Weight: 215.

Projected 40 Time: 4.45.

Combine 40: 4.32.

Vertical: 28. Broad .

Projected Round: 1-2.

Devin Thomas could be the receiver who raised his draft stock the most at the combine. A 4.32 from a 215-pound receiver? No one saw that coming. There are questions about why Devin Thomas played just one good season at Michigan State, but before you answer that, think of who his head coach was prior to 2007. John L. Smith, one of the most inept and clueless people to ever stand on the sidelines of a football game.

It's funny how this is about to fall off the first page. But the thread that's all about bashing Devin is 10 pages long.

Just proves that the haters come out of the woodwork and flock to that thread. But if there's one praising a guy, they sit in the corner with their ****ing mouth shut.

Totally ridiculous.

Just know that they don't like it when you question their fandom

It's funny how this is about to fall off the first page. But the thread that's all about bashing Devin is 10 pages long.

Just proves that the haters come out of the woodwork and flock to that thread. But if there's one praising a guy, they sit in the corner with their ****ing mouth shut.

Totally ridiculous.

I'm not a Thomas (or Kelly) "hater," but I am pretty irritated at the idea these guys may have come into the league thinking they'd succeed purely on talent. "Coasting" = wasted talent; an insult to their fellow players, to the league and teams, and to the fans who support them with dollars that should probably be spent instead on groceries, other bills and in trying to build/rebuild savings/retirement/investments.

The question for him isn't "Do you want to be great?" -- it's "Are you willing to do what it takes to be great?" As fast and athletic as Thomas is, he'll never be as good as he should be unless he 'wants it' as bad as, say, some guy with a 4.7 40 from Mississippi Valley State:

"Rice is remembered for his work ethic and dedication to the game. In his 20 NFL seasons, Rice missed only 10 regular season games, 7 of them in the 1997 season, and the other 3 in the strike-shortened season of 1987. His 303 games are by far the most ever played by an NFL wide receiver, and are only 72 games behind the NFL record for games played by any player. In addition to staying on the field, his work ethic showed in his dedication to conditioning and running precise routes, with coach Dennis Green calling him "the best route runner I've ever seen." Also known as one of the best blockers at his position, there was no aspect of playing wide receiver at which Rice did not excel."

Wikilinky

Seems like the 'great ones' are the guys we always hear, like Jerry Rice, had to be dragged out of the film room and the weight room, off the practice field. We shouldn't need to have these debates about whether a high draft pick is doing enough to prepare for the season or the next game. What happened to competitive drive, the will to win, the desire to excel? Holy crap, if I'd ever had that kind of talent I would have set up a tent and lived on the freaking football field. These guys drive me crazy with their excuses-posing-as-reasons. They're too busy spending too much money, playing around and 'relaxing' way more than is reasonable, to respect the talent that made it possible. Disgusting.

To help things hit a little closer to home regarding Jerry Rice and what Thomas (and Kelly, for that matter) should be striving for with every breath they take, here's a quote from Hall-of-Famer Ronnie Lott:

"Art Monk was an example for Jerry Rice. That's what Jerry always told me."

If a slow, skinny guy from a nowhere school was able to become the greatest wide receiver in history by following in the footsteps of Art Monk, what could a big, fast stud from a big-time program do using that same role model? My private little dream is that Devin Thomas is an ES fan, will read these threads and will be (even more?) motivated to work his rear off to produce *results* that will prove all the 'haters'/doubters/skeptics wrong. We can only watch and wait.

I'm not a Thomas (or Kelly) "hater," but I am pretty irritated at the idea these guys may have come into the league thinking they'd succeed purely on talent.........

I don't disagree with anything you said there Dah. It was a mistake for them to think that way, absolutely. But it seems they've both learned their lesson, and are working hard this offseason to prove they're worth their pick.

But I'm talkin about basically how people come here, mainly just to ***** about our guys. I mean hey, we've all got criticisms, but where are they to give props when guys are working hard and doing the right thing?

No where to be found.

Still a looooooooonnnnnnnnnggggggggg off season. So many predictions and judgments.

No one on this site knows for sure if Thomas will be a pro bowl receiver or a bust. Just have to wait and see.

The only thing I do know for sure is it is toooooo early to say which he will become.

Archived