Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP/JLC: Position Battle: Backup QB

x96bryan10

The 2008, and 2009 Redskins are married to Jason Campbell. Like it or not, unless he gets hurt, he will be the starter. The best we can hope for is that Colt steps up enough, and TC falls enough, for them to swap spots. I also like the 2006 scenario of having Colt as the long term back up, and Collins the game day back up.

I think JLC was browsing this message board, and thought there arent enough quarterback controversy threads yet (yeah, yeah, i know i'm one of the Cutler supporters, shoot me if you want, but even i appreciate that it ended), so he threw something together he likes to call an article or news.

Brennan's draft status in 2008. Links included:

http://www.mynfldraft.com/NFL-Draft-Profiles/2008/Colt-Brennan

Brennan threw for over 4,000 yards in each of his seasons at Hawaii and also owns the new NCAA passing touchdown record. Brennan is a cool and calm QB who has a rocket arm and also is very accurate, he has also shown the ability to make things happen outside the pocket with quick feet and good mobility. He has also shown that he can win ball games by going undefeated in his senior year. He is and ideal NFL QB. With all these attributes Brennan should be a first round draft pick if not then a second round steal.

http://football.about.com/od/nflplayerprofiles/p/coltbrennan.htm

Brennan's an odd prospect. On one hand, he looks like he could be the second coming of Joe Montana, with a strong arm and a natural feel for the game. But on the other, there's significant doubt about how much of his success is his, and how much of it is the system he was in.

http://bigpapadaddy.wordpress.com/2008/04/07/nfl-draft-preview-the-qbs/

Colt has the potential to be the best QB in this class. He has an above average arm and threw 96 TDs in 2 seasons. You can’t ignore that no matter how badly he did in the Sugar Bowl. Hawaii really seemed to rally around him and he was quite the leader on this squad. Right now attitude, conduct issues and a bad bowl game took him from a late Round 1 prospect to a Round 4 gamble. I can see the “Big Tuna” take a shot on him down in Miami with their Round 4 pick. The Rams need an heir apparent to Bulger and they could take Colt in Round 4 as well.

http://www.fantasyfootballxtreme.com/nfl-draft-info/2008-nfl-draft-prospects/

4/18/08: This kid has a grip of talent, but he could fall in this year’s 2008 NFL Draft. Brennan’s weaknesses are his unorthodox throwing style and the fact that he is coming from a run-and-shoot offense that mostly had him taking shotgun snaps. He is 6-3, but he only weighs 201 pounds, so he also needs to put on some weight. He is also recovering from hip surgery, but is expected to be 100% by July. Now for the good stuff… He averaged 43.6 passing touchdowns per season in college, tossing 58 scores in 2006 alone. He doesn’t just toss touchdown passes, Brennan ran in eight of them last year. While we’re on his 2007 figures, it’s also important to point out that he had at least four total touchdowns in eight of his 11 contests. Brennan has a bit of that Brett Favre style of play in him, and he is certainly a skilled passer. It’s tough to say how good he can be at the NFL level given we don’t know where he will go in this year’s 2008 NFL Draft, but we do know that if he lands in the right spot, the sky is the limit.

Colt has alot of potential. Some mocks had him going from the 1st round to the mid rounds. He's drawn comparisons to Brett Farve in some rightups. The jury is still out as it should be, but he should be given the chance to see what he can do against starting talent to be able to really evaulate his true talents.

This will be an interesting position battle indeed, although I firmly believe the competition (hopefully) between the young receivers trying to earn playing time will be more closely watched (or should be).

Our young WR's are definitely an issue that needs to be watched, but the back-up QB is one of the most important positions on a football team. Especially this team.

Thanks for the links. To bad the naysayers will just blow them off and say, "Well Jaws said this ......" and Zorn said "Campbell is the starter." Even before minicamps started. I find it interesting that fans aren't seriously question why after an 8-8 season, we are saying that our starters are a lock this early. Who is Zorn trying to convince, us or himself?

Typically, NFL coaches like their QBs to be about 6'6"

That seems to be a little high. If you say 6'4" then I might agree. As morpheusmeyers pointed out, several current starters are 6'0"-- 6'2", and even big QBs like Manning (6'5"), Roethlisberger (6'5") and Brady (6'4") don't hit that mark you mentioned. Heck, current rumor favorite Cutler is "only" 6'3", so I don't think Brennan's height is a big deal. He could probably help himself out with 10-15 pounds of muscle, though....

Colt's career would have been over if he had played behind our O-line the last half of the season. JC is much bigger and stronger and took one hell of a pounding. By all accounts Colt is nowhere near being ready to start.

And you know this how? Seeing how Colt didn't get the chance to play, you are only voicing your opinion. Alot of that pounding JC took was of his own doing...if you can read the defense and make quick decisons then I suspect that wouldn't be an issue.

And you know this how? Seeing how Colt didn't get the chance to play, you are only voicing your opinion. Alot of that pounding JC took was of his own doing...if you can read the defense and make quick decisons then I suspect that wouldn't be an issue.

Campbell stared down his receivers and often failed to see he should throw the ball away. He gets sacked instead. You're right. Alot of it was his own fault, but not to say the line didn't suck the last 8 games.

Typically, NFL coaches like their QBs to be about 6'6", probably to be able to see over the OL. That being said, there are plenty of QBs who have done well in the NFL with less height and less arm strength. The problems Brennan faces are not insurmountable.

Typically 6'6"??? That's a little too tall for a "typical' preference, if the coaches are being realistic. No question coaches prefer some height, but there were only three starting quarterbacks in all of the NFL last year who were 6'6" - Joe Flacco, Derek Anderson, and Jamarcus Russell.

Typically 6'6"??? That's a little too tall for a "typical' preference, if the coaches are being realistic. No question coaches prefer some height, but there were only three starting quarterbacks in all of the NFL last year who were 6'6" - Joe Flacco, Derek Anderson, and Jamarcus Russell.
None of those Qbs played stellar football either.

Archived