Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP/JLC: Position Battle: Backup QB

x96bryan10

I love how any sort of QB thread, even one that is about a possible battle between Colt and Collins, ends up being a thread about whether Campbell is good or if he sucks.

Colt's a slinger. I see Drew Breeze in him. Campbell has been protected since college when he had Cadillac and Ronnie Brown. I hope he can get better.

Interesting. If this turns out to be the case,then this is pretty cool for young Colt. Second year in,being able to compete for #2. Considering the obstacles,(already well noted here and elsewhere),that he has had,(and will),face,I'd say that's pretty good for a young man drafted where he was,(fair or not). Would say a lot for what Coach Zorn believes Colt is capable. I'd say this is a good thing.

Colt really reminds me of Gus from back in the day. We've now got the Cult of Colt, back then we had the Gus Bus. Colt was a 6th round pick, Gus was a 7th rounder. Then in Gus's second season he had beat out Freez for the #2 spot.

The key difference is that Schuler was so horrible as a rookie that Gus got to get some playing time and impress fans in real regular season games. So the following for Gus was a bit more justified.

(Now watch some Redskins fans try to come up with an argument that Schuler is a better QB than Campbell)

Through 16 Starts

Jason Campbell - 266/468, 56.9%, 3032 yards, 19 TD - 13 INT, 78.4 QBR

JaMarcus Russell - 221/399, 55.4%, 2647 yards, 14 TD - 9 INT, 78.2 QBR

INCLUDING GAMES HE DID NOT START

JaMarcus Russell - 234/434, 54.0%, 2796 yards, 15 TD - 12 INT, 73.9 QBR

But if you're willing to try to link Campbell to Russell, why not link him to Big Ben, Manning, Hasselbeck, or the Hall of Famer Aikman? Campbell's stats from this year are similar to all of them.

There's nothing wrong with trying to tell a story with stats. But don't act like your story is the only one that can be told.

Colt's a slinger. I see Drew Breeze in him. Campbell has been protected since college when he had Cadillac and Ronnie Brown. I hope he can get better.

What does anything you said have to do with the point I made? Here we have a thread about Colt vs Collins for the #2 spot and it almost immediately gets turned into a Colt vs JC thread. I mean I understand there are only about 20 other threads about that, so it's understandable that another needs to be around. :doh:

I love how any sort of QB thread, even one that is about a possible battle between Colt and Collins, ends up being a thread about whether Campbell is good or if he sucks.

This is too true, JC gets slammed way too much. People are just frustrated and want this team to be better. Bottom line is that Colt has a chance to win the #2 spot from Collins--I see that as likely to happen!

What does anything you said have to do with the point I made? Here we have a thread about Colt vs Collins for the #2 spot and it almost immediately gets turned into a Colt vs JC thread. I mean I understand there are only about 20 other threads about that, so it's understandable that another needs to be around. :doh:

Who care's about the No.2 battle. Our No. 1 needs a battle. Campbell is the question in Skinz Nation. Collins can't win the Skinz a ring. Put Colt at the 2 cuz if JC goes down the season is a wash and we might as well see if Colt is the real deal.

Who care's about the No.2 battle. Our No. 1 needs a battle. Campbell is the question in Skinz Nation. Collins can't win the Skinz a ring. Put Colt at the 2 cuz if JC goes down the season is a wash and we might as well see if Colt is the real deal.

Regardless of whether "anyone cares about the No. 2 battle" or not, that is what THIS thread is about. If you want to talk about whether or not Campbell should be starting, why not do it in one of the myriad of threads already devoted to the subject? Or try your luck and make another new thread about it, but you might end up in NNT territory.

This is too true, JC gets slammed way too much. People are just frustrated and want this team to be better. Bottom line is that Colt has a chance to win the #2 spot from Collins--I see that as likely to happen!

I see it as pretty likely too, to be honest. Colt certainly has potential and if he has improved in the offseason there isn't any reason not to have him there at #2. I can understand the fact that Collins has the experience, but he isn't a long term solution, even at backup. The 3rd string QB generally works with the scout team and doesn't get much time to work with the Skins playbook or the 1st or 2nd team WRs, etc whereas the 1st and 2nd string QBs generally alternate snaps and time with them during practice. As long as he looks good in training camp and preseason I'd think it would be wise of them to let Colt be the #2 and have a chance to work the offense.

NNT????

This thread was around long before i came and was not the first to mention either Colt or JC as i was responding to comments made bout both.

To answer the thread title. Put Colt at 2. If Campbell gets hurt, lets see what the all-time statiscally great college QB really has. We no who Collins is . Might get us a worse position in the draft and will take time away from the future.

Time to throw C"MF"B into some deep water and see if he can swim. We know TC can step in, looking forward to seeing Colt in some earlier preseason game competition against some decent players. Hopefully throwing to a couple of resurgent sophomore WR's. This is critical this season, because we need to sort out our QB needs by next year.

NNT????

This thread was around long before i came and was not the first to mention either Colt or JC as i was responding to comments made bout both.

I meant an NNT if you went with the idea of starting another thread about whether or not Campbell should be starter, etc as opposed to posting your ideas about Campbell in one of the other numberous threads on the topic.

But if you're willing to try to link Campbell to Russell, why not link him to Big Ben, Manning, Hasselbeck, or the Hall of Famer Aikman? Campbell's stats from this year are similar to all of them.

There's nothing wrong with trying to tell a story with stats. But don't act like your story is the only one that can be told.

I was merely responding to a post that said that Russell and Campbell's stats were in no way comparable. Meanwhile, Campbell has yet to accomplish anything in terms of individual or team success that Ben Roethlisberger and Matt Hasselbeck have. Eli Manning is this generation's Terry Bradshaw, and if anything, my opinion is that the most we can ever get out of Jason Campbell is an Eli-type of quarterback (or Kerry Collins as another example).

If we are winning a lot, Collins will be #2

If we are losing a lot, Colt will end up being #2

Why...

This is make or break for Campbell. If he fails, what is the point in playing Collins. Is he our future QB ? If JC sucks, we will need to look at Colt before next season to decide if he has what it takes in 'real' games.

We need to make a final decision on JC in 2009 & if that looks bad we need to look at Colt as well.

If JC is doing well, Collins will stay at #2 in the event we need someone to hand the ball off & run the clock down in the 4th :)

Brennan is a competitor and a team guy. If Zorn tells him that he is the number 3 QB, he will accept that for the good of the team, while at the same time preparing himself to excel at what he is assigned to do and for the future.

If his job is to imitate the opposing QB, it seems logical that he may be able to do that better than Collins.

He will also prepare to the best of his ability to help the team if he is called on to play in a game.

If Zorn wants to give him a shot at the # 2 position, Brennan will do everything to prepare himself for that. He will compete.

My sense of Zorn is Collins is number 2 and will have to lose it, at least for the time being. If Brennan doesn't excel in his limited opportunities vs. Collins, he can just stay at # 3 for a little while longer. His cap # doesn't matter.

I can't imagine that the Skins will want to pay Collins something like $3 million again in 2010 for basically insurance.

That means during the 2009 season, there may be changes in the QB order, maybe extreme changes.

It could be everything from Campbell taking a step up or Campbell being traded for a different starting QB to Collins and/or Brennan starting games this year. We could even trade for a different # 2 QB.

I'll be surprised if the three QB's on the team now are the same at the end of 2009.

2009 NFL Trade Deadline: 205 days to go.

Collins will make great money in 2009. Releasing him will hit the cap bigtime. If da Boss negotiated this deal, Collins will be the number 2 guy for a while.

This from JLC:

The Todd Collins Contract

According to sources, here's the breakdown on the deal TC just signed.

It is indeed 3 years, worth a max of $9 million, with a $3 million signing bonus (but there's a cap-saving quirk as well).

In essence, he'll get $4 million guaranteed - the $3 million signing bonus, a $100,000 workout bonus due this spring, and his $900,000 salary for 2008 (assuming he does not get hurt in the offseason somehow).

In 2009 he has another $100,000 workout bonus and a base of $1.9 million

In 2010 he has another $100,000 workout bonus and a base of $2.9 million (again, base salaries in the NFL are not guaranteed).

However, instead of his 2008 cap hit being $2 million ($1 million proration of the signing bonus + $100,000 bonus + salary), it's actually $1.5. How you might ask?

Sources said the deal is actually for six years, but the final three years are set up as such so they will void automatically (much like Mark Brunell's last deal voided after 2007). But for cap purposes the $3 million signing bonus is spread over 6 years rather than 3 - hence $1.5 million cap hit rather than $2 million.

The Redskins made re-signing Collins their chief priority, with owner Daniel Snyder involved and negotiations going well past 2 am and picking up again in the morning, according to sources. The Skins spent considerable time trying to get this done, including Coach Jim Zorn flying to Quincy, Mass. yesterday.

Archived