Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's it like being a parent?

Touchdown Redskins

It's funny, just the other day, my 2 1/2 yr old son woke up from his nap, and when i picked him up, he gave me THE BIGGEST HUG, and when i sat down, he continued to do it, and i told my wife that i could sit like that forever. When he gets sick, i tell him that if i could, i would take the pain for him, and that's no lie. I would take a bullet for my kids without hesitation.

I'm sure it's rewarding. Wouldn't know from watching my parents.

Both of them preferred to consider me and my siblings a burden. I realized that at a very young age.

If there is one thing I learned, though, is how NOT to raise a kid. Yeah, I think I turned out okay but that wasn't any thanks to them. I'd be a lot better off if the two actually gave a ****.

That's great and not so great news wrapped into one Code. I'm happy for you that you're able to have custody of your son, I know that was a huge concern for you. Sounds like you're an awesome dad and are really having a lot of fun! Your son will grow up with an extreme amount of emotional intelligence simply because of the time and love you've showed him. That will serve him in everything he does.

On the other hand, that's concerning about your ex. I'm like you, I just can't imagine not wanting to take an active role in your child's life. I hope that does not negatively affect your son. :(

I hear about deadbeat dads or moms who leave and I automatically think that they are either raging sociopaths or have a sever mental illness. Not sure if that's fair, but it's how I feel.

I know what you mean, I hope it doesn't affect my son too... Luckily, I have a very awesome family. My sister in law is like a mother to my son. He loves her and always asks for her. It helps that I have a nephew the same age as my son, so they are like brothers. She is wonderful and is more of a mother to my son than his own mother. She's going to get a nice mother's day gift.

I'm sure it's rewarding. Wouldn't know from watching my parents.

Both of them preferred to consider me and my siblings a burden. I realized that at a very young age.

If there is one thing I learned, though, is how NOT to raise a kid. Yeah, I think I turned out okay but that wasn't any thanks to them. I'd be a lot better off if the two actually gave a ****.

Well, what NOT to do is as important to know as what TO DO.

And, as for being better off if they cared...don't be so certain. Involved parents who don't have a clue can f up a child pretty easily.

Hearing my 20-month son get the giggles when he and I "play football" makes my day every time. It never fails.

I give him the nerf ball, he starts running, and I grab him and "tackle" him from behind. He LOVES it and I can't even express how much joy it brings to me. After a stressful day at work, I come home to him saying "Datty...foo-ball!"

Awesome!

so my wife and I have custody of her sisters daughter. She has scheduled visitation every saturday from 10am-noon, and 10am-4pm the 3rd saturday of the month. We're lucky if she's on-time 4 out of the weeks every month. She's also allowed to call and speak with her daughter any night she wants up until 7:30pm. She almost never calls...but when she does, it's at 8:30pm or later. Well after my niece is in bed. I'm convinced she doesn't REALLY want to talk to her. She just wants to give the impression she does.

For the life of me, I cannot understand this behavior.

You and your wife are awesome to do what you are doing

I know what you mean, I hope it doesn't affect my son too... Luckily, I have a very awesome family. My sister in law is like a mother to my son. He loves her and always asks for her. It helps that I have a nephew the same age as my son, so they are like brothers. She is wonderful and is more of a mother to my son than his own mother. She's going to get a nice mother's day gift.

Same thing with 2 of my dad's cousins.

One of them is divorced from his wife and lives with his brother. has a son that is 4. His ex-wife has never been around and never cares about him at all, and I am fairly certain she can't have custody due to neglect

His sister in law is like another mother to the kid. He still gets plenty of love

I'm convinced she doesn't REALLY want to talk to her. She just wants to give the impression she does.

For the life of me, I cannot understand this behavior.

Yeah, that astounds me too. I cannot even understand parents who have full-custody of their children then completely half-ass raising them. Some of the absolute insane crap I've seen just boggles my mind...like sending a young child on a YMCA ski day trip, in a blizzard, with no jacket or gloves...or parents allowing their child to drive those stupid 4-runner thingies, with an arm cast, and rebreaking their arm TWICE...just common sense crap that is unbelievable.

You and your wife are good people for taking in your niece and giving her a chance of at least some semblance of a stable environment...bless you two for what you are doing.

well, dagobah is a rough place to rear kids.

Oh stop making fun of my dyslexia...and Star Wars! :saber:

If there is one thing I learned, though, is how NOT to raise a kid. Yeah, I think I turned out okay but that wasn't any thanks to them.

I'm really sorry to hear about that TJ. Your sentiments sound very similar to those of my fiance regarding his childhood. :(

Archived