Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Dodd admits to role in AIG loophole

Redskins Diehard

After denying having anything to do with crafting language in the stimulus bill that allowed bailed-out insurance giant American International Group to keep its bonuses, Sen. Christopher Dodd admitted that he and the Treasury Department were responsible for the loophole. Sen. Christopher Dodd, D-Connecticut, says he was unaware of the AIG bonuses until last week.

Dodd, chairman of the Senate Banking Committee, acknowledged his role in the change after a Treasury Department official told CNN the administration pushed for the language.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/03/19/aig.bonuses.congress/index.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I'm glad the President accepted responsibility.

I'm beginning to get the impression that the government knew about these bonuses all along and just sort of hoped us common folk wouldn't notice.

It took you a while but I'm glad you're finally seeing the light. Unfortunately, Dodd is going to come out of this smelling like a rose as usual.

Washington's fianlly lost complete touch with America. It's been gradually growing for decades now but thanks to insanity like McCain-Feingold (or the Incumbent Protection Act) and the obscene amounts of money floating around, our elected officials have gone off the deep end. With the apathy and stupidity of the voting public, 90% are untouchable come election time no matter how bad they screw up policy decisions. They just need to keep clear of scandal and they're set for life. They're all crooks, except my guy, I'll vote to re-elect him...

I'd love to see a viable third party or an outright electoral revote where all incumbents are voted out of office.

We need term limits, two terms for the Senate and four terms for the House.

It took you a while but I'm glad you're finally seeing the light. Unfortunately, Dodd is going to come out of this smelling like a rose as usual.

Washington's fianlly lost complete touch with America. It's been gradually growing for decades now but thanks to insanity like McCain-Feingold (or the Incumbent Protection Act) and the obscene amounts of money floating around, our elected officials have gone off the deep end. With the apathy and stupidity of the voting public, 90% are untouchable come election time no matter how bad they screw up policy decisions. They just need to keep clear of scandal and they're set for life. They're all crooks, except my guy, I'll vote to re-elect him...

I'd love to see a viable third party or an outright electoral revote where all incumbents are voted out of office.

I told my sister I was going to start a movement to turn out every incumbent when their term is up for twenty five or thirty straight years. I thought that would finally impress upon them that they serve at our behest and for our benefit.

Then I realized I didn't care enough.

To be fair to Washington I think it's hard to be in touch with the average American because nothing that concerns the average American concerns them. They don't have to worry about saving for retirement or health care or putting food on the table or paying a mortgage. They're insulated from everyday concerns.

The part about this whole thing I don't understand is, these were retention bonuses written into employee contracts before the bailouts. Bonuses AIG conrtactually agreed to in order to keep employees from bolting back when things weren't so ****ed up. And besides, we're talking what $161 million out of how many tens of billions AIG has been given? Who are we punishing by trying to tax those bonuses at 90%? The employees? Capitalism itself? Makes no sense to me, gov't folding at the uproar from people pissed to hear about other people getting paid. :2cents:

The part about this whole thing I don't understand is, these were retention bonuses written into employee contracts before the bailouts. Bonuses AIG conrtactually agreed to in order to keep employees from bolting back when things weren't so ****ed up. And besides, we're talking what $161 million out of how many tens of billions AIG has been given? Who are we punishing by trying to tax those bonuses at 90%? The employees? Capitalism itself? Makes no sense to me, gov't folding at the uproar from people pissed to hear about other people getting paid. :2cents:

Those "employee contracts" should become null and void after the receive 190 BILLION tax payers dollars. Where are these high paying execs going to bolt too?

It's politicians doing what they do best, deflection.

It's politicians doing what they do best, deflection.

Bingo!!!!

There you go.

No different than the media trying to take focus away from real issues with the Bogus Rush stuff, the Cheney stuff and lately the Thick McCain Daughter versus conservative women deflection.

Hey, someone should make a website about exactly that!

Anyway, I'd love to see Dodd bailed out of Congress, but that's true about virtually every single person there right now.

I think the uproar is three-fold:

1. People who screw up the world economy shouldn't be getting a perceived (lucrative) reward to retain their employment. They should be at Ft. Leavenworth or swinging from a tree. Their idiocy truly reached the heights of EPIC FAIL.

2. I think most people get the contractual element. They probably don't like to think that the elite have such ridiculous advantages over the common person. Golden parachutes, cushy job environments, and big bonuses tied to them just being there and staying, instead of actually having to add value.

3. I also think many people are taking a second look at these bailouts and realize (belatedly) that the legislation and practice of bailing out the corporations was fundamentally flawed and done in such a way that they now feel like they are being endlessly screwed at every level of the economy because they played by the rules and believed that the lies of the political class on this subject were the truth.

Those "employee contracts" should become null and void after the receive 190 BILLION tax payers dollars. Where are these high paying execs going to bolt too?

Stop being naive, where do the rats bolt to when the ship is sinking? The waters not a great alternative but it beats drowning with the ship. Oh and youre "should become void after the(y) recieve 190 BILLION tax payer dollars" fantasy would only be possible if you where bright enough to stipulate that BEFORE giving the bailout. There are no "redos".

Stop being naive, where do the rats bolt to when the ship is sinking? The waters not a great alternative but it beats drowning with the ship. Oh and youre "should become void after the(y) recieve 190 BILLION tax payer dollars" fantasy would only be possible if you where bright enough to stipulate that BEFORE giving the bailout. There are no "redos".

Bingo. If the dimwits in Congress couldn't foresee this happening when issuing the bailout funds, they should all be grabbed by their ears and thrown out in the street.

Archived