Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Any Green Day fans out there? (BJA is going to rehab)

Toe Jam

Interesting bump, wish I had seen this when the thread was new. I really liked Green Day early on, Dookie came out while I was almost done with middle school and was one of the first big albums of my high school years. I liked Insomniac as well, but not nearly as much and eventually traded it away to a friend for something else. I didn't appreciate Nimrod much at the time, and lost track of what the band was doing for awhile. Certainly enjoyed American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown...I would have never guessed in 1994 that these guys would be involved in rock opera or theater. I will certainly be interested in their new stuff.

American Idiot was the first album I really connected with on an emotional level. I've been a huge fan ever since it came out. I love their old stuff, but not in the same way I love AI and 21CB.

I saw the musical in February, and I thought it was phenomenal.

heheh. Thank god Seger is 20 years out of vogue, and you have to go out of your way to tune in to "Oldies 97.7 - the station that brings you REO Speedwagon, Styx, and Bob Seger all night long!!!!" if you want to suffer through his dreck.

Meanwhile, Green Day remains the most popular band in the world and may be enjoyed everywhere, all the time. :silly:

Popular doesnt mean talented.

See- Bieber, Justin

Actually, Bieber isn't necessarily untalented - he's just a young teen idol doing standard music for his intended audience. He may grow out of it when he gets replaced by the next teen idol.

I used to think that way about Justin Timberlake, but he actually turned out to be talented as hell.

Nevertheless, even now, Bieber's body of work is infinitely more palatable than that disgusting old hack Bob Seger.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Bob%20Seger%20Island

So music critics have no idea what they're talking about?

http://www.metacritic.com/music/american-idiot/green-day

For the record, I'm okay with people not liking Green Day. People have different tastes. But you seem to be really annoyed by their music. Why?

The eptimomize the fake punk movement. It's not just the. I hate them all. But Green Day is the worst of the bunch.

Just because you sing with a fake english accent doesnt make you talented or punk. And if 13 year old girls are wearing your tee shirts, you suck.

So music critics have no idea what they're talking about?

http://www.metacritic.com/music/american-idiot/green-day

For the record, I'm okay with people not liking Green Day. People have different tastes. But you seem to be really annoyed by their music. Why?

Kilmer is a hardcore punk fan. Any band that starts out as a punk band but evolves into something else has betrayed the punk ethos.

Bille Joe wrote this song for Kilmer. :)

Green Day really started annoying me when they started releasing things with faux intellectual titles like Cigarettes and Valentines and Horseshoes and Hand Grenades. What does that mean? It sounds poetic for the sake of sounding poetic.

Popsicles and Butcher Knives. See, I can do it too.

Then you'll be happy to know there are songs on these albums called "Wow! That's Loud!" and "It's **** Time!". :ols:

Green Day really started annoying me when they started releasing things with faux intellectual titles like Cigarettes and Valentines and Horseshoes and Hand Grenades. What does that mean? It sounds poetic for the sake of sounding poetic.

Popsicles and Butcher Knives. See, I can do it too.

Your opinion is invalid solely because "Diamonds and Guns" is one of the greatest songs ever. :)

• 1 month later...

Those of you hoping for Green Day to go away might be in luck depending on how serious this is. I watched his meltdown live and knew immediately something was up.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/rep-green-days-armstrong-getting-treatment#overlay-context=users/rjagodzinski

Green Day's Billie Joe Armstrong is headed to treatment for substance abuse.

Sunday's announcement by the band's rep comes after the 40-year-old frontman had a meltdown onstage at the iHeartRadio Music Festival in Las Vegas on Friday. As Green Day was wrapping up its performance during the all-star, two-day concert, Armstrong profanely complained that the band's time was being cut short.

"One minute left, one minute (expletive) left. You're gonna give me (expletive) one minute? ... I'm not (expletive) Justin Bieber, you (expletives)!" he yelled (although Bieber was not part of the night's festivities).

Armstrong smashed his guitar before leaving the stage.

In a statement to The Associated Press, Green Day apologized "to those they offended at the iHeartRadio Festival" and said its set was not cut short by Clear Channel, the host of the two-day festival.

The Grammy winning band also is canceling some of its promotional appearances. It is due to release the album "Uno" on Tuesday, the follow-up to "21st Century Breakdown," released three years ago. "Uno" is the first in a trilogy of albums; the second is to be out in November, and the last in January. The band is due to kick off a nationwide tour Nov. 26 in Seattle.

Armstrong was hospitalized in early September in Bologna, Italy, for an undisclosed ailment, but recovered well enough to perform at the MTV Video Music Awards on Sept. 6. Since then, the band has made a series of performances, including a "Good Morning America" performance and a New York City concert for the launch of Nokia Music on Sept. 15. No interviews of the band were allowed that evening, but the band chatted with fans and Nokia and AT&T executives before performing for about two hours.

The eptimomize the fake punk movement. It's not just the. I hate them all. But Green Day is the worst of the bunch.

Just because you sing with a fake english accent doesnt make you talented or punk. And if 13 year old girls are wearing your tee shirts, you suck.

I have to say, I agree pretty strongly with this. Since they first hit my radar screen, Green Day has struck me as 100% sellout fake punk, a clean, disinfected Nerf version of the musical style they've borrowed from so heavily (and from which they originally came in late-1980s CA).

They got really big for the first time just before I finished high school, and it was refreshing to start college at a time when college kids correctly saw Green Day as catchy but largely uninteresting commercialized high school poop. (Sadly my generation of college kids turned out not to be so savvy about acts like Oasis, or Dave Matthews' "world music" hogwash, but that has been covered to death elsewhere.)

Can't say that I hate Green Day for any of their success, though. Turning off my radio solved the overexposure problem, and when they come to town the only negative effect I experience is maybe some higher traffic levels near whichever venue is hosting them. Not a big deal.

Their cultural impact, or that which I presumptively ascribe to them, annoys me a bit more. The onslaught of Green Day style-emulator bands and their whiny sameness was sad to watch for a while, as well as the rise of the associated shiftless loser glorification ethos. I blame Portland on Green Day, for example. But that's not exactly fair. Green Day's early and continuing successes probably have been more a sign that the ethos was already out there and they caught lightning in a bottle with catchy pop hooks, rather than an indication that Green Day alone brought hitherto unseen redemptive pride to the swollen ranks of self-loathing serial basement masturbators.

Here's Billy Joe's meltdown. NSFW because of approximately 1 million F-bombs in the 1:49 clip:

My comments:

1. Lame rant.

2. Sturdy guitar.

He did some other questionable things during the set. This was just the culmination.

The whole thing was a disaster.

Popular doesnt mean talented.

See- Bieber, Justin

Sunday's announcement by the band's rep comes after the 40-year-old frontman had a meltdown onstage at the iHeartRadio Music Festival in Las Vegas on Friday. As Green Day was wrapping up its performance during the all-star, two-day concert, Armstrong profanely complained that the band's time was being cut short.

"One minute left, one minute (expletive) left. You're gonna give me (expletive) one minute? ... I'm not (expletive) Justin Bieber, you (expletives)!" he yelled (although Bieber was not part of the night's festivities).

Armstrong smashed his guitar before leaving the stage.

See what you did there, Kilmer?

Archived