Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: RI: Redskins Make Contract Offer to Daniels

J.Campbell17

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Click link for entire article

Redskins Make Contract Offer to Daniels

Jason Reid reports:

The Washington Redskins made a contract offer to veteran defesive lineman Phillip Daniels, who wants to return to the team.

"Yeah, my agent has been talking to the Redskins and they're trying to work out something," Daniels said. "There are some other teams calling, so I'm still just trying to take it slow and see what happens, but I'm hoping we can get something worked out and I can be a Redskin next season.

A 13-year veteran, Daniels, 36, missed the entire 2008 season after he suffered a knee injury on the first day of training camp last July. Daniels has played with the Redskins since 2004.

----------

Good move by the FO, I want to retain Daniels, he looks like he is in amazing shape to have a solid year.

Haha.

Those other teams don't know what they're missing out on anyways!

It must be that video he put out on youtube. He knew some fool would put it up on extremeskins and it would be a matter of time before Vinny would call up. Great PR move by phillip if you ask me.

what's up with "i'm taking it slow, and seeing what happens".......he is still rehabbing and working out at the Skins facility and he isn't under contract by the team.......that's a pretty lousy thing to say to an organization that is showing that they are loyal (sometimes too loyal) too an aging vet coming off of a MAJOR injury such as himself.......its pretty comical whan a 36 year old player with ZERO bargaining leverage with the skins front office IS in fact bargaining and they are putting up with it.......:wtf:

This is going to be a very underrated move. I believe we won't fully comprehend that until we see Vinny and the bunch not draft a single DE in this coming draft. I have a really good feeling about this.

Agreed. Signing Daniels won't break the bank, and it gives the team a solid run stuffer. I do think the FO will draft and end, though.

If he doesn't sign for one year, vet minimum then the contract is too much.

This is definitely not the answer at LDE that we need after letting Evans walk and giving Taylor the boot.

Don't you think Daniels would be good for at least one more season, regardless of whether we bring someone else in or not? With Daniels there, we could go with Wilson as rotation, if we couldn't find anybody else this year.......

...*mumbles something about "cheap and available"*.....

vinny better have a backup plan. we all like daniels, but he's 35+ coming off a major injury. he likely won't play all games, and when he does its not realistic to expect him to play at the same level.

i would've preferred someone else if possible, but apparently its not

Daniels is a good depth and/or platoon player to have on the roster. He can play all four DL positions and can be either the first man off the bench OR a first/second down starter against the run with a pass rushing end coming in on third downs (see draft pick at DE here).

I don't have a problem with bringing back Daniels at 36 because unlike Jason Taylor who is 35 Daniels still seems to have the fire in his belly to compete at this level and be a leader in the locker room. Taylor didn't.

"Yeah, my agent has been talking to the Redskins and they're trying to work out something," Daniels said. "but I'm hoping we can get something worked

What possible negotiating criteria is there, for a guy that old and injury prone ?

He should just take whatever they offer him.

'he should just take whatever they offer him' :laugh:

yeah, if it were just that easy.

Demetric Evans believes he is a full-time DE in the NFL. The Redskins thought he was valuable as a platoon player but were unwilling to promise him a starting job. So he left.

Khary Campbell, a career special teamer who is 30, thinks he is in line for a shot at a starting job at middle linebacker in the NFL. Another player the Redskins thought had value, but not given how he views his situation.

In negotiations, you have to deal with the ego and pride of the individual.

Agreed. Signing Daniels won't break the bank, and it gives the team a solid run stuffer. I do think the FO will draft and end, though.

I don't know if they'd really need to this year. They could put Haynesworth at end on some passing downs

'he should just take whatever they offer him' :laugh:

yeah, if it were just that easy.

Demetric Evans believes he is a full-time DE in the NFL. The Redskins thought he was valuable as a platoon player but were unwilling to promise him a starting job. So he left.

Khary Campbell, a career special teamer who is 30, thinks he is in line for a shot at a starting job at middle linebacker in the NFL. Another player the Redskins thought had value, but not given how he views his situation.

In negotiations, you have to deal with the ego and pride of the individual.

until their agent says "Sorry, no one else agrees."

Archived