bubba9497

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/feb/26/puzzling-over-the-pieces/

Click link for entire article

Puzzling over the pieces

Redskins weigh free agency options

David Elfin

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Eighteen of their projected starters are under contract. The club restructured the contracts of four players, leaving it about $6 million under the $123 million salary cap.

Still, troubling issues loom: The Redskins lost six of their final eight games last season, and half those 18 likely starters will be at least 32 by October.

What's more, a major infusion of youth isn't on the horizon - the Redskins have just four picks in April's draft. And that $6 million of cap space won't be enough to sign Albert Haynesworth, the All-Pro Tennessee Titans defensive tackle who is rumored to be a free agent target for the Redskins.

Vinny Cerrato, the Redskins' executive vice president, declined to tip his hand Wednesday about the club's plans for free agency.

"Any way of acquiring players we always look at, and this happens to be the first way to do it," he said.

Free agency was the foremost way of acquiring talent for the club during the first seven offseasons of Dan Snyder's ownership.

The past two years marked something of a departure. Linebacker London Fletcher and cornerback Fred Smoot were the only front-line signees in 2007, and both players already had played in the Redskins' defensive scheme. Last year, the Redskins didn't sign any starters.

Coach Jim Zorn, however, said last week he expects his team to be more active this March.

A few of the Redskins own players seem likely to hit the market on Friday: cornerback DeAngelo Hall, left guard Pete Kendall and defensive end Demetric Evans, who started much of last season in place of the injured Phillip Daniels and the ailing Jason Taylor.

Hall, a two-time Pro Bowl selection and the top free agent corner available, might prove too expensive for the Redskins to retain. Evans is looking for his first big payday, which he doesn't figure to get from the Redskins. Kendall is the most likely to return in part because of the lack of proven replacements available.

That shortage also is the reason the Redskins aren't likely to find a bona fide starter in free agency to bolster their aging line.

Carlos Rogers, a starter before Hall's arrival in November, could take his place. The Redskins are less sure about H.B. Blades at strongside linebacker, where Marcus Washington became a cap casualty Feb. 20. And right defensive tackles Kedric Golston and Anthony Montgomery will be restricted free agents if Washington tenders them contract offers by the Friday deadline. If not, they will become unrestricted, so the Redskins can't keep them by matching any offers they receive.

With Taylor set for a final season at age 35, the Redskins should still be in the market for a pass-rushing end or linebacker in free agency or via the draft. That's still true if Daniels, who turns 36 in March and whose contract was voided this week, returns.

Obviously this guy didn't realize the Cap is $127 million and that Daniels gives us another 2 million. I think 12 million under is plenty of room to sign haynesworth and Hall.

You're right, but that still doesn't leave money to sign Haynesworth, which I feel is nothing but "talk" anyway. If anything the skins are being mentioned just to up his status to the rest of the teams. Not suggesting they aren't interested because we will always be interested in the best FA guy on the market.

But, if you look at this from literally every angle there's really no way to see how they will make a run at Haynesworth. I love Haynesworth, but I just question if the 15M a year to get him here would be money well spent a couple years down the line.

You're right, but that still doesn't leave money to sign Haynesworth, which I feel is nothing but "talk" anyway. If anything the skins are being mentioned just to up his status to the rest of the teams. Not suggesting they aren't interested because we will always be interested in the best FA guy on the market.

But, if you look at this from literally every angle there's really no way to see how they will make a run at Haynesworth. I love Haynesworth, but I just question if the 15M a year to get him here would be money well spent a couple years down the line.

Look for Canty...

That would be great, but does the math work?

I have no idea...I think I remember hearing that we aren't on the hook for any of JT's money. So that's $8M clean. I also believe we save more cutting Springs than keeping him.

As for making the other 3 contracts fit...that's for people much smarter than me to figure out (capologists).

That is who I'd like to get plus Hall and Crowell.

Crowell is very good but he is coming off really serious injuries so I think he is far from a sure thing. Derrick Brooks might be a very good stop gap like London Fletcher has been, for a season or two, especially since I doubt he would be very expensive. You know what you'd be getting from him for a season while you draft the long term answer either this year or the next.

Or we could just go ahead and draft Maualuga, Cushing, or Laurinaitis and start them immediately.

I have no idea...I think I remember hearing that we aren't on the hook for any of JT's money. So that's $8M clean. I also believe we save more cutting Springs than keeping him.

As for making the other 3 contracts fit...that's for people much smarter than me to figure out (capologists).

You are right about Taylor. We acquired him in a trade so we aren't responsible for any of his bonuses. We could cut him with zero cap ramifications. And I am pretty sure we do save money by cutting springs. I think both of them have to get cut in order to sign Haynesworth. Also, I'm not sure, but Griffen might have to go too.

Have we resigned either montgomery or gholston?

The math works but it does not resolve the O line issues

No, it doesn't.

But then you can use the entire draft to fill the OL holes (if possible) and even try to pluck a LB replacement for Washington.

That then gives you some youth on the OL, a solid and relatively young DL, and you're kind of back to square one entering NEXT year's draft.

You can than focus on supplementing the OL and even continuing to address the DL since you wouldn't have to find immediate starters. :2cents:

I concur with this

I'd like to add (hinges on if we re-sign Hall):

7) Cut Springs if we can't even get a 7th rounder for him.

AND:

8) I'd actually rather have Jason Brown from the Ravens over Dockery - whichever is cheaper or that we can fit (financially) in with Canty and Hall.

9) Finally, if we can't get either Brown or Dockery....Yes, I know everyone hates trading away our picks, BUT, it might be worth it to package up our draft (NOT including our 1st - that's for Maualuga, please:fingersx:) to move into the early 2nd round to pick up someone along the lines of A.Q. Shipley (I would much prefer the kid from Cal but I think he'll be gone), Duke Robinson, or Herman Johnson.

Archived