Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC: Plackemeier Released - Carter & ARE contracts reworked UPDATEw/full info

Rypien1191

From JLC:

Plackemeier Released/New Contracts For Carter and Randle El

The Redskins released punter Ryan Plackemeier today, according to a source. Plackemeier, who took over as punter when draft pick Durant Brooks sputtered, has one year remaining on his deal. Like Brooks, he placed near the bottom of the NFL in most punting categories.

The Redskins signed inexperienced punter Zac Atterberry earlier this offseason. Atterberry lost out to Plackemeier in a punting competition at Redskins Park when Brooks was released. The team has not been steady or settled at the punting position for years, save for Tom Tupa's excellent performance in 2004. Atterberry spent the 2008 offseason with Chicago, his only pro experience.

Also, DE Andre Carter and WR Randle El have new deals with the team, according to league sources, a move done to lower their 2009 cap costs (the Redskins entered this month between $5-$7 million over the projected salary cap). Both players had deals set to expire after 2012; their new contracts run through 2015 (not that it's likely either would still be here then).

Carter's new deal saves the team about $2.4 million in 2009, and lowers his case salary from $2 million to $1.5 million. Randle El's new deal saves $2 million in cap space for next season, and lowers his base salary from $4 million to $1.5 million according to sources.

The Redskins must comply with the cap by the start of the league year, Feb. 27, when the free agency period opens. They are likely to release at least one high priced veteran by then, with LB Marcus Washington and DE Jason Taylor prime candidates.

Here's the lastest update with the specifics on the deals. Sounds like the FO actually made some pretty shrewd moves; if we don't pick up their options (which I would be surprised if we did) after this season, then they only play the 2010 season and are then FAs. If we end up having an uncapped year in 2010, we can cut them and it won't kill us cause of there not being a cap.

The Full Carter And Randle El Contracts

Couldn't allow the day/night to pass without getting the full details of the new contracts for DE Andre Carter and WR Antwaan Randle El. You guys deserve the full monty, so here goes:

I gave the primer on this earlier in the day, and went over the contracts with a source who has evaluated it thoroughly to make sure I understood exactly what the Skins did. As I noted before, the Skins, cap strapped again, save $4.4 million total against the 2009 cap with the two contracts.

Both these guys were among the 12 or so players who restructured their deals last February; Randle El's latest deal became effective 2/6/09, and Carter's came through this Wednesday. In both cases, the players will pocket in raw cash terms exactly what they would have in 2009 under their previous deals ($4.5 million for Carter - including his old roster bonus - and $4 million for Randle El). Only now most of it comes in the form of upfront, guaranteed money, via new signing bonuses.

Let's start with Carter.

As part of his new contract, he received a $3 million signing bonus, and his deal now extends through 2015 (in principle at least, more on that in a moment). And he has a $7.25 million option bonus in 2010, which the club has until Aug. 31, 2010 to decide whether or not to pick up. If that option bonus is executed, then Carter's deal extends through 2015, with that $7.25 million then prorated over the ensuing six seasons.

If Carter's option bonus is picked up, his 2010 base salary is $1.3 million. If that option is not executed, then Carter's 2010 base salary jumps to $1.95 million, and he becomes eligible for unrestricted free agency following the 2010 season (barring yet another renegotiation/new contract; these two guys have don't 3 deals each with the Skins in 4 years here)

Should the Redskins opt to cut Carter after the 2009 season, prior to executing the option bonus, then Carter would count about $5.1 million in dead cap space (Now, there's a chance we don't get a new CBA in the next year, in which case 2010 is uncapped, so cap hits wouldn't matter. I'm starting to think more and more that common sense prevails here and labor peace wins, but who knows).

The Randle El contract is virtually identical in theory.

As part of his new deal he got a $2.5 million signing bonus, and his deal now has the potential to extend years beyond his old one, through 2015 at max. And he has a $6.25 million option bonus in 2010, which the club has until Aug. 31, 2010 to decide whether or not to pick up. If that option bonus is executed, then Randle El's deal can go through 2015, with that $6.25 million prorated over the ensuing six seasons (feel like you are reading the same paragraph over and over?).

If Randle El's option bonus is executed, his 2010 base salary is $1.375 million. If that option is not executed, then Randle El's 2010 base salary jumps to $1.95 million and he is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent following the 2010 season. Should the Redskins opt to cut Randle El after the 2009 season, prior to executing the option bonus, then Randle El would count $4.4 million in dead cap space.

So there you have it. Nothing too earth shattering; typical Skins business. They were going to face decisions on these guys following the 2009 season already, under their previous deals, and will end up doing so again, only with the players now having the chance to get another $13.5 million in total guaranteed between them at a later stage of their career should those options get picked up.

Neither has been very productive since signing lucrative free agent deals here in March of 2006, and both play positions that have been woefully unproductive here on the whole. From the player standpoint, there's every incentive to do these deals, they end up getting more money up front now and the chance to earn much more. The team's only real incentive is to try to get under the cap, again, and this helps a bit. It's really just shifting some money around - salary cap gymnastics.

I'm no contract master - does this just stretch out whatever $$ they were earning over 6 years instead of 3?

And whenever they are released - we take the hit for whatever the release fee is for that year, which is also stretched out?

I think both those guys will be using walkers by 2015.

I love Randel El's character, but it a bit a miff what he exactly brings to this team in a football sense. He' getting paid a bunch of $ to catch 30 balls and 1 or 2 TD's a year I honestly believe it is time to cut ties. Even if financially it is a bit crippling

We really need to work on giving guys workable contracts to start with. The workings of the salary cap baffle me for the most part but I'm pretty sure we eventually have to take big hits for all of these guys when the time comes that they are cut or retire.

It is nice that we always have a few guys willing to take big paycuts though so we can continue to do business.

I was hoping ARE would go bye this year. I got nothing against him. He just not suited to our offense.

Cue the "that because JC cant get the ball to him" replies...

Or the much more valid point that he ain't a #2 WR.

A great slot guy though..and a could be wildcat threat after Coach "Z" has had time to "study" it.

Good job Dre and ARE.

Our guys who've been here a while seem to be willing to restructure most of the time.

Wouldn't you accept a good portion of your next couple of years salary in advance, especially if you could get fired at any time and keep it?

We really need to work on giving guys workable contracts to start with. The workings of the salary cap baffle me for the most part but I'm pretty sure we eventually have to take big hits for all of these guys when the time comes that they are cut or retire.

It is nice that we always have a few guys willing to take big paycuts though so we can continue to do business.

Nothing was mentioned in this article about a pay cut. Trust me....they did not get a pay cut. They simply re-worked their contracts or "moved some money around"

I was hoping ARE would go bye this year. I got nothing against him. He just not suited to our offense.

Cue the "that because JC cant get the ball to him" replies...

I think ARE is definitely getting more than he is worth, but I don't think they can take the chance of letting him go right now considering what we have a WR. Moss, who is really more of a #2 and...that's it besides El, who is MAYBE a #3 or most likely a slot guy and Thrash who shouldn't be more than a special teams guy. Neither of our rookie WRs showed enough last year to warrant us parting ways with our second best wideout, and sadly enough that is still El.

Cheers to ARE and Carter for reworking there contracts. This proves they are here because they like being a Redskin and not just here for the money.

As for their worth, I sincerely believe last years performance was an aberration by both especially Carter and this year we'll see them perform like years past.

If anything ARE should have been told he needs to take pay cut or he will be released. I was all for signing him at first but he has been nothing close to the same return guy he was with the Steelers. He is a #3 reciever at best and I swear if I have to watch him run east and west on punt returns for 5 yards a return all next year I am going to kill myself.

Can someone please explain how this reworking works? Where the money goes, etc. What it means for cap hits, etc.

What this means is that they committed more money to both players in order to save money this year. This makes it more expensive to cut both players should that need ever arise. Bottom line, two players who were previously overpaid, are now even more overpaid.

Cheers to ARE and Carter for reworking there contracts. This proves they are here because they like being a Redskin and not just here for the money.

As for their worth, I sincerely believe last years performance was an aberration by both especially Carter and this year we'll see them perform like years past.

Sorry pal, neither guy took a pay cut for their love of the Redskins - the only time that happened in the last 10 years is with Mark Brunell going into the 07 season.

If anything ARE should have been told he needs to take pay cut or he will be released.

I'm torn on ARE.

He is a good leader type to have around and I get the sense he is simply a good locker room guy. I worry about the impact it would have if he were released for these reasons.

On the other hand, production is mediocre and the salary is OUT OF CONTROL.

There is really nothing to cheer here.

All they did was re-work their contracts in exchange fo a big CASH bonus now.

Without that incentive of instant money, most players wouldn't redo their contracts at all.

Archived