Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC: Plackemeier Released - Carter & ARE contracts reworked UPDATEw/full info

Rypien1191

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=71&f=1348&t=3667856

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2009/1/16/725767/q-and-a-about-the-nfl-s-up

Don't have time to do more looking right now, but 5 years is what I've read several times, not 3. In the old CBA it was 3 years past the uncapped year, which fits with the current 5 years.

I got my info from http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/faq.asp

"Again, let me take a moment to explain how important it is that the CBA be extended. The proration of the signing bonus cannot extend beyond two years after the close of the existing CBA. With the CBA currently set to expire in 2010, that would mean that the bonus proration has to be fully accounted for by the end of the 2012 season. Of course, if the CBA is not extended and there is no cap in place in 2010 and beyond, you are probably wondering why this even matters."

I'm obviously more inclined to believe a press release from the NFL and 5 years makes a lot more sense.

I actually think these restructures are good moves.

Based on the numbers, there are numerous other contracts to worry about about before these. At least we get potentially ~4m in cap space back & the impact on future dead cap in minimal ( if there is one / and based on other restructures we have done in the past ).

It looks like LaRon Landry has a ~2.5m roster bonus due so the same may happen there ?

It also buys a bit of time before we decide who to cut :)

Can someone please explain how this reworking works? Where the money goes, etc. What it means for cap hits, etc.

There are several ways but this was basically..

Lets say I'm set to make 2M next year, so my cap hit is that plus whatever outstanding pro-rated money is left.

I've got 5 years left on my contract (in this case their deals were extended)

Take a salary cut to say 1M and take 1M as a pro-rated bonus

Now my cap hit is reduced by .75M

Also, most roster bonuses and the like can be pro-rated usually at the discretion of the team (though sometimes they may let the player decide).

Sometimes you may take a pay cut because the team actually moves up your FA date by making the contract voidable at the players discretion kind of like we did with Brunell (this is probably the only way we could make Jansen cutable). Adding other clauses to the contract, such as a no trade clause, also may induce a player to take a real pay cut. In rare cases, older guys may take a real pay cut (usually by getting cut and then resigning a smaller deal). I don't think Springs or Taylor would be willing to do something like this (the last time I can remember this was with Albright). I also don't think you can take a net pay cut, only shift money around.

I got my info from http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/faq.asp

"Again' date=' let me take a moment to explain how important it is that the CBA be extended. The proration of the signing bonus cannot extend beyond two years after the close of the existing CBA. With the CBA currently set to expire in 2010, that would mean that the bonus proration has to be fully accounted for by the end of the 2012 season. Of course, if the CBA is not extended and there is no cap in place in 2010 and beyond, you are probably wondering why this even matters."

I'm obviously more inclined to believe a press release from the NFL and 5 years makes a lot more sense.[/quote']

If this is indeed 3 years, I would say that greatly effects us if we are trying to sign one or more of the big FA names out there.

Our cap situation is not ideal for a large SB only going over 3 years, is it ?

It in NO WAY proves that.

Well if they were interested in money now, they wouldn't be interested in restructuring and the skins would have to indeed pay them now. Correct? Matter of fact, I can think of one particular player on the team that wants his money now and is essentially telling the FO he doesn't give a rats ass about their cap situation.

Sorry pal, neither guy took a pay cut for their love of the Redskins - the only time that happened in the last 10 years is with Mark Brunell going into the 07 season.

Wait a minute pal, I never said they took a pay cut. I said good for them for restructuring their contract to help us get more cap room to perhaps better the team. They didn't have to restructure you know.

Well if they were interested in money now, they wouldn't be interested in restructuring and the skins would have to indeed pay them now. Correct? Matter of fact, I can think of one particular player on the team that wants his money now and is essentially telling the FO he doesn't give a rats ass about their cap situation.
You clearly have no idea how restructuring works. Where are we at Whiskeypeet?

This makes me nervous that they are worrying about relatively small savings at the moment - it makes me think that they aren't as likely to shed the BIG money (Taylor, Springs, Washington, etc.)

We have to be under the cap by 2/27, but Im guessing we also have to have a full roster by then? I mean, it would be easy to just cut a bunch of guys and be under the cap with only 40 guys presently on the team, right? ANybody know?

This makes me nervous that they are worrying about relatively small savings at the moment - it makes me think that they aren't as likely to shed the BIG money (Taylor, Springs, Washington, etc.)

We have to be under the cap by 2/27, but Im guessing we also have to have a full roster by then? I mean, it would be easy to just cut a bunch of guys and be under the cap with only 40 guys presently on the team, right? ANybody know?

With the restructurings, we are pretty much where we need to be cap wise. There may be other restructurings(Landry) and there is plenty of maneuverability with big save cuts like Taylor, Springs and Washington. As for the roster, we already have 51 guys under contract, so that aspect becomes irrelevant.

ahh, well I stand corrected. I didn't know they get a big cash bonus now for restructuring.

I think of it this way:

I'm going to make 100K over the next year. My boss comes to me and says "Darth, I'll give you a 50K bonus if you let me cut your salary for the next year to 70K and sign this exclusive services agreement for the next 5 years. You'll be at 105K next year and have a 5% raise every year during these 5 years. Of course, I can fire you for any reason during these 5 years also" Why can he do this? Accounting (the cap) only sees 10K per year added to my base salary, so they say "Darth took a 20K pay cut!". In reality, I got 2K more this year than I expected. Next year, I'm at 105K.

You clearly have no idea how restructuring works. Where are we at Whiskeypeet?

You are correct. And don't care to. I'll leave the restructuring aspect of the game up to the professionals such as you and the FO. Matter of fact, you might consider sending them your resume since I'm sure you'd do a better job than they're doing now.:rolleyes:

And yeah, where are we Whiskeypeet? I really want to know.

You are correct. And don't care to. I'll leave the restructuring aspect of the game up to the professionals such as you and the FO. Matter of fact, you might consider sending them your resume since I'm sure you'd do a better job than they're doing now.:rolleyes:

And yeah, where are we Whiskeypeet? I really want to know.

If you admittedly don't know what you're talking about, why would you try to refute my comment? I have considered working for the skins and it is an eventual goal, but not with this FO. I'll be moving to Miami later this year to start a stint with the Dolphins(unfortunately, 6 months later than originally planned). Hopefully, in time, I will be able to return and ressurect our once proud franchise.

With the restructurings' date=' we are pretty much where we need to be cap wise. There may be other restructurings(Landry) and there is plenty of maneuverability with big save cuts like Taylor, Springs and Washington. As for the roster, we already have 51 guys under contract, so that aspect becomes irrelevant.[/quote']

But do we have to have a full 53 under contract when FA starts? Since we have to be under cap by then?

If you admittedly don't know what you're talking about' date=' why would you try to refute my comment? I have considered working for the skins and it is an eventual goal, but not with this FO. I'll be moving to Miami later this year to start a stint with the Dolphins(unfortunately, 6 months later than originally planned). Hopefully, in time, I will be able to return and ressurect our once proud franchise.[/quote']

What type of position, and congratulations. You will love Miami.

Archived