Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What do coaches see in Alexander?

Thinking Skins

I've been thinking about our roster and where there may be untapped potential, and I keep reading about Lorenzo Alexander. I remember he got a lot of attention for making a play after his helment got knocked off. But is this guy a good DT? Does he have any athleticism? Can he stop the run or collapse a pocket?

I've been looking for scouting reports and can't even find any of those on him. I'd like to see why he went undrafted.

The most I could find about his college days are a few articles that talk

about his performance after a game:

For example, here's one article about his performance at Oregon State:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/09/26/SPGM28VDL31.DTL

"He's a true warrior kind of guy out there on the field," defensive coordinator Bob Gregory said. "He's a very good technician, a very good run defender, and he gives great, great effort to the football every time. He never takes a play off."

Alexander said his ranking on the stat sheet isn't his primary concern. "I see my role as keeping the O-linemen off the linebackers so they can make the plays," he said. "As long as we're winning, it doesn't really matter."

and

"I need some sacks," he said. "I'm getting teased about it."

Still, he has a strong sense of his worth -- and is a certain NFL prospect.

"Scouts see I'm a force on the field and I'm changing the game," he said. Alexander, a devotee of the weight room, says he would like to take his play "to another level." He acknowledges the need to improve his pass rush.

And I remember him playing well against the Eagles. But does this guy have any potential above a situational guy or backup DT?

He stepped in last year in both roles, DT and OL. IMO you keep guys like this around, because they can help in many ways.

In goaline packages, he has been used as the 6th OL. While your not going to get a star out of him, he should NOT be cut. He is exactly how all of our players should be playing. High motor and never take a play off.

See, what I'm thinking about is more of a question of can he start on our defense?

I'm thinking in particular about the Minnesota Vikings defense and how they have two DTs who are great at stopping the run in Pat Williams and Kevin Williams. But from what I understand neither is that great at collapsing the pocket. The Vikings were able to add Jared Allen in the 2008 offseason and he had a great year in 2008.

So I'm wondering if Alexander and Montgomery could grow into the same kind of a package at DT?

Lorenzo Alexander will always get a pass from me for his play in his first game ever. Making a tackle without a helmet. He's all effort from day one. Besides he's the beneficiary of Larry Michael's one and only cool thing he's done while with the Skins.

His nickname of Alexander as "The One Man Gang" is great

He's the definition of a utility player.

He can play from the three-technique on running downs and he can play from the one-technique on passing downs. We use him on offense in goal-line and he plays special teams. Plus, as we know, he can play guard in a pinch.

See, what I'm thinking about is more of a question of can he start on our defense?

I'm thinking in particular about the Minnesota Vikings defense and how they have two DTs who are great at stopping the run in Pat Williams and Kevin Williams. But from what I understand neither is that great at collapsing the pocket. The Vikings were able to add Jared Allen in the 2008 offseason and he had a great year in 2008.

So I'm wondering if Alexander and Montgomery could grow into the same kind of a package at DT?

Actually, Kevin Williams is one of the best pass rushing DTs in the game right now. He was a DE in college. He's not bad as a run defender either, but primarily he's a pentrator. Pat Williams on the other hand is pure run-stuffer. They make a good combo.

As far as Alexander, if you really watch him play he is actually quite good. He gets decent penetration, pursues the ball relentlessly, and gets the guy to the ground if he catches him. He's not the most stout guy you are going to find when asked to simply anchor and take up space in the run game, but he's also not a Kedric Golston style liability in that respect either. If you ask me, he should be the #3 guy in the current DT rotation, with Golston limited to passing situations only.

His ability to play several position and his energy when on the field are two major assets.

Alexander was one of the players who I had predicted would make the team, even back when he was an unnoticed off-season pickup. We were all vocal about wanting a 1st round draft pick on Okoye or Branch, and I switched over to Landy because I thought Alexander and Montgomery gave us some depth at DT for the short run.

Time permitting I'll dig out some posts from my archives where I quoted some sources about Alexander's background and level of talent.

I still watch how he does on the field, and he doesn't quit on plays.

I suspect he'll never be a dominant DT like Williams, but he's a solid contributor and versatile.

Alexander is our utility guy. Sticck him anywhere and he will hold his own. He may not be the best at any position you stick him at, but at ANY position you stick him at, he will hold his own. Thats a player worth keeping and working on as a project.

Alexander is the ideal 53rd man on a roster. He provides depth on both lines as a #4DT and goal line 3rd T. He also does a lot for us on ST. At $460K' date=' he is one of the most valuable member's of the team.[/quote']

That's it in a nutshell.

Good guy to have, but he is a utility player.

this is what annoys me about our franchise. we have guys who are consistent hard workers who play hard and don't bring down the locker room attitude, like Alexander, Cartwright, Rogers(Yes Rogers, were giving him the shaft if we don't give him a deal similar to Hall and cutting Spring's old crippled ass). And what do we do?

We assign them "utility roles" and limit their time on the field.

Id rather have 11 "no name" guys like this playing for us than reserving spots for veterans or guys who aren't productive but are costing us too much money to cut or leave on the bench. GET RID OF THE SUPERSTARS AND BUILD AROUND GOOD PLAYERS.

NOT PEOPLE WHO ARE SUPPOSED TO BE GOOD BECAUSE THEY COST ALOT OF MONEY. Liiiiike springs, Jansen, Portis (Yup i said it).

Archived