Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Carlos Rogers: By the numbers

Pounds

This is a follow-up of sorts to the "Trade Rogers or not?" thread. There was some discussion amongst those that left comments regarding Carlos' impact or perceived lack thereof. I thought it might be helpful to quantify his impact through stats compiled by Football Outsiders.com.

The following are the top-10 starting corners as measured by success rate (which, for those unfamiliar, I will define at this post's end):

[b][u][size=2]Top 10 starting CBs in terms of Success Rate*[/size][/u][/b]

[size=2]Player              Team       Charted Passes       Yd/Pass      Success Rate[/size]
[size=2]31-A. Harris        GB               38              5.0            79% [/size]
[size=2]24-S. Brown         PHI              55              4.6            73% [/size]
[size=2]21-C. Woodson       GB               57              6.4            66% [/size]
[size=2]22-S. Rolle         BAL              40              4.4            65% [/size]
[size=2]26-A. Winfield      MIN              59              6.0            64% [/size]
[size=2]21-N. Asomugha      OAK              26              5.8            64% [/size]
[size=2]23-C. Webster       NYG              65              5.1            63% [/size]
[size=2]22-C. Rogers        WAS              92              5.6            63% [/size]
[size=2]24-D. Foxworth      ATL              48              5.6            63% [/size]
[size=2]20-N. Harper        TEN              90              5.7            62%[/size]

Here are our corners:

[b][u][size=2]Redskins in terms of Success Rate[/size][/u][/b]

[size=2]Player               Team      Charted Passes    Yd/Pass    Success Rate[/size]
[size=2]22-C. Rogers         WAS             92            5.6           63% [/size]
[size=2]23-D. Hall           WAS             24            3.2           67% [/size]
[size=2]24-S. Springs        WAS             34            6.3           53% [/size]
[size=2]27-F. Smoot          WAS             56            8.7           38% [/size]

It's important to mention that both Springs' and Hall's stats are somewhat skewed; Springs' by injury and Hall's by a limited sample size.

[b][u][size=2]Top 10 starting CBs in terms of Yards Per Pass[/size][/u][/b]

[size=2]Player                      Team     Charted Passes    Yd/Pass    Success Rate[/size]
[size=2]22-S. Rolle                 BAL             40           4.4           65% [/size]
[size=2]24-S. Brown                 PHI             55           4.6           73% [/size]
[size=2]31-A. Harris                GB              38           5.0           79% [/size]
[size=2]24-B. Flowers               KC              60           5.1           55% [/size]
[size=2]23-C. Webster               NYG             65           5.1           63% [/size]
[size=2]29-D. Rogers-Cromartie      ARI             64           5.4           52% [/size]
[size=2]26-K. Hayden                IND             45           5.5           60% [/size]
[size=2]22-C. Rogers                WAS             92           5.6           63% [/size]
[size=2]24-D. Foxworth              ATL             48           5.6           63% [/size]
[size=2]20-N. Harper                TEN             90           5.7           62% [/size]

[b][u][size=2]Top 10 among CBs with at least 30 pass tackles[/size][/u][/b]

[size=2]Player              Team            Pass Tackles             Stop Rate[/size]
[size=2]26-A. Winfield      MIN                  56                     45% [/size]
[size=2]35-C. Ivy           BAL                  33                     42% [/size]
[size=2]20-A. Cason         SD                   50                     40% [/size]
[size=2]20-B. McFadden      PIT                  34                     35% [/size]
[size=2]22-N. Clements      SF                   40                     35% [/size]
[size=2]20-N. Harper        TEN                  55                     35% [/size]
[size=2]20-R. Barber        TB                   47                     32% [/size]
[size=2]24-S. Brown         PHI                  31                     29% [/size]
[size=2]22-C. Rogers        WAS                  45                     29% [/size]
[size=2]34-D. Lowry         NYJ                  55                     27%[/size]

[b][u][size=2]Bottom 10 starting CBs in terms of Success Rate[/size][/u][/b]

[size=2]Player           Team       Charted Passes       Yd/Pass        Success Rate[/size]
[size=2]25-B. Kelly      DET              37              11.6              32% [/size]
[size=2]23-T. Jennings   IND              57               8.6              37% [/size]
[size=2]27-F. Smoot      WAS              56               8.7              38% [/size]
[size=2]21-T. Fisher     DET              36               9.3              39% [/size]
[size=2]22-J. Joseph     CIN              40               8.2              40% [/size]
[size=2]28-L. Bodden     DET              76               9.0              41% [/size]
[size=2]39-B. Carr       KC               76               8.8              41% [/size]
[size=2]21-C. Graham     CHI              62               7.7              42% [/size]
[size=2]32-D. Bly        DEN              80               8.4              43% [/size]
[size=2]32-F. Bennett    HOU              47               7.7              43%[/size]

I threw this one in just to clarify what I had suspected the season through; Fred Smoot sucks. His numbers were such that they were enough to qualify him a starter. He is, at this point in his career, a dime corner at best and most fittingly a quarter corner; certainly not a nickel.

By now it should be evident that while Carlos is not an absolute top-tier talent, he is damn close. Trading him would be a mistake, but certainly not the first, nor the last mistake the front office "brain trust" will make. Not only is he more than solid in pass coverage (and our best man-coverage corner) he is a solid tackler from his corner position.

*Success rate - the percentage of plays that targeted a defensive player on which the offense did not have a successful play. Successful play is defined as not only incomplete passes and interceptions, but also short completions that do not meet the 45%/60%/100% baseline for success detailed in the description of DVOA.

You do realize that in your attempt to support your opinion that Carlos Rogers is a good corner and shouldnt be traded you are actually doing the opposite. I dont understand why you Rogers supporters cant get it through your heads that hes not even close to an elite cover CB.

He was thrown at 92 freeking times. 92. The only other CB of that group with that kind of pass attempts is Nick Harper who is known as a good cover 2 tackling CB, but bad in coverage. Not only is this a result of Los playing 7 yards off the reciever and giving up 3, 4 and 5 yard gains because he is a great tackler but poor in coverage, but also due to the fact that opposing qb's are not scared of him. They can risk fitting a pass into a tight space for a 4 yard gain because they know the worst thing that is gonna happen is an incomplete pass. After doing this a couple times they then hit Rogers with a double move and bam, touchdown. Rogers belongs in a primarily cover 2 scheme defense. Get over it. I understand we all want homegrown talent but damn get off the boys ****.

They can risk fitting a pass into a tight space for a 4 yard gain because they know the worst thing that is gonna happen is an incomplete pass. After doing this a couple times they then hit Rogers with a double move and bam, touchdown.

Please show me a game where this has happened. I'm curious.

Please show me a game where this has happened. I'm curious.

Off the top of my head I remember Toomer got him for a 40 yard TD, Chris Henry got him for like a 35 yard TD, and I think he was had against B'more also. That was what his last 3 games before getting benched. Could research the whole season but I think this should prove my point.

Off the top of my head I remember Toomer got him for a 40 yard TD, Chris Henry got him for like a 35 yard TD, and I think he was had against B'more also. That was what his last 3 games before getting benched. Could research the whole season but I think this should prove my point.

Toomer owned Smoot, not Rogers. As far as the Chris Henry and the B'more TD's, those are the only two you can name because those are the only two big TD's he gave up ALL YEAR LONG. Remember last year when Springs got abused by TO? How many TD's did he give up that game alone?

Rogers is the best CB we got. Hall was great for us, but sample size isn't big enough. I'd like to have em both.

That Bmore one is on the DL. QBs should not have had time like that when we blitz that heavy. Los still got burned but that is hardly an indicator of how he played on the season. Esp the first 12 or so games he was the best DB on the squad. He just cant catch. I say keep him.

Toomer burnt Smoot but ok.....Chris Henry got one woooowww big deal. Derek Mason.....ohhhh 2? 2? Like come on man......There are corners who haven't gave up a TD in the NFL?

As I mentioned in another thread, his numbers may very well be irrelevant.

We're talking about a guy who waited until he had two years left on his contract to start studying game film. I imagine any internal debate at Redskins Park about Rogers future has to do with his work habits, and if they feel he would continue them with a new deal.

that was smoot who got burnd for the td by toomer and carlos rogers is filthy nasty he just cant catch.

Your right about Toomer, it was Smoot. It really doesnt matter though because if your gonna use these stats to prove your point your not gonna convince anybody hes a good cover corner, he has the same exact stats as Nick Harper.

Your right about Toomer, it was Smoot. It really doesnt matter though because if your gonna use these stats to prove your point your not gonna convince anybody hes a good cover corner, he has the same exact stats as Nick Harper.

.....what? What are you suggesting with Nick Harper? Did you know he plays for the Titans? 9th against the pass.....with a crazy front 4..? Nobody could run on us....nobody could run against the Titans. Teams were forced to pass on us alot more much like the Titans as well. 92 Passes.....thats a pretty good success rate for being tested.

.....what? What are you suggesting with Nick Harper? Did you know he plays for the Titans? 9th against the pass.....with a crazy front 4..? Nobody could run on us....nobody could run against the Titans. Teams were forced to pass on us alot more much like the Titans as well. 92 Passes.....thats a pretty good success rate for being tested.

No I had no idea he played for the Titans.:doh: <-- Picture of me smacking myself in the head because im such an idiot and didn't know that Nick Harper played for the Titans. Even though it was in the OP and common football knowledge. I would like to see how many time Springs or Finnegan were thrown at compared to Harper and Rogers. Especially since Harper and Rogers are usually covering #2 Wr's and still getting thrown at this many times. What? What? What? Cortland Finnegand? Oh yea, he plays for the Titans.

I just don't understand why a guy who you consider our best CB is getting thrown at so many times a game when he's covering #2 WR's. You would think he would be able to shut them down and even maybe be able to get a interception here or there causing QB's to throw at him less. That is unless of course he is giving #2 WR's a cushion so he doesnt get beat deep because he can't cover downfield.... I wonder.

This is all ridiculous to me. I don't get why they don't cut Springs, re-sign Hall and then let Carlos play out his contract.....This to me makes almost too much sense...Yes, Springs may be the best when he's healthy but that's not going to happen here. He's older, injury prone, and has a high salary.....He hit the trifecta

This is getting joke worthy the fact that some fans can do nothing but hate .

Rogers is a top 10 CB ... he is very physical and plays both good against the run and the pass . Every QB get beat from time to time . Last year he took the No.1. WR as Springs went down .

I am more impressed with Rogers than I was with Champ Baily who struggled against the likes of Ike Hillard ( i remember in one Giants game him catching 5-6 8 yard hooks right in front of him in a row) . Rogers can actually tackle .

In fact because he is so good against the run in the Ravens game the double move on Rogers came on a series where the Ravens had just moved the length of the field running the ball, and the defense was playing the run.

But its okay you can ignore this and just continue with your hating schedule .

No I had no idea he played for the Titans.:doh: <-- Picture of me smacking myself in the head because im such an idiot and didn't know that Nick Harper played for the Titans. Even though it was in the OP and common football knowledge. I would like to see how many time Springs or Finnegan were thrown at compared to Harper and Rogers. Especially since Harper and Rogers are usually covering #2 Wr's and still getting thrown at this many times. What? What? What? Cortland Finnegand? Oh yea, he plays for the Titans.

I just don't understand why a guy who you consider our best CB is getting thrown at so many times a game when he's covering #2 WR's. You would think he would be able to shut them down and even maybe be able to get a interception here or there causing QB's to throw at him less. That is unless of course he is giving #2 WR's a cushion so he doesnt get beat deep because he can't cover downfield.... I wonder.

What you are forgetting or neglecting to remember is that with Springs out for so many games, it was Rogers covering #1 corners most of the season. It is a passing league, see: Cardianls, Arizona. You do not, Do NOT, trade young corners with talent in the modern NFL.

You do not, Do NOT, trade young corners with talent in the modern NFL.

This is the Redskins FO you are talking about. They will sign Hall for 50-60Mil and trade Rogers for a 4th or 5th rounder then 50% chance of Hall not lasting more than 2-3 seasons here while being toasted repeatedly.

I do want Rogers back for a long deal, but if he is not going to re-sign with us after next year I do feel that we need to deal him this year and get something in return for him then to just let him hit the market. I have been a HUGE supporter of Rogers, still am. I wish him well if he does go elsewhere.

Carlos Rogers is a good corner but stone hands. He had one INT because it hit him in the stomach and not the hands. He almost dropped that one also. He is thrown at a lot because he is always on the oppositions best receiver because Springs is always hurt. Hall has proven that he is a keeper also but what they need to do is keep them all and move Springs to safety where we would have three quality players that can cover. Smoot is not even close to being the player we drafted. We need to make a decision on him and if cutting him is the right move than so be it. We need to see what we have in Tryon so we don't go into every offseason waiting for him to blossom only to find out we have nothing but a wasted draft pick. If we trade or cut Rogers than we need to have a better player than Smoot to replace him with.

Archived