Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Carlos Rogers: By the numbers

Pounds

Boo. Hiss. Rogers got benched because he sucked. The Skins will be fine with Hall and Springs for 1 game, then Hall and Smoot for the rest. Possibly Smoot and Tryon based on Hall's satisfaction.

Wow... Did you get cut off at the bar for being too intoxicated and then decided to go home and post this reply?

This is a great question and one, unfortunately, I do not have an answer for. There seems to be some dissention on the staff with regards to Carlos; this may have been further exacerbated by Hall's acquisition.

On the surface, though, one could point to the fact that, after we acquired DeAngelo and Springs got healthy, we had three starting corners, but only two spots; so someone has to get benched. In this case, the coaches benched Rogers in favor of Hall likely because of the turnovers Hall makes. Anything more is, at best, speculative.

Looks like we have an answer.

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Gray_Discusses_Lions_Interview__Redskins__Cornerbacks_31725.jsp

Regarding Rogers, Gray said: “The good thing about Carlos is that he came back from the ACL [injury], he played well. He had some opportunities early in the season, and then late in the season I thought he [faded] just a little bit. But I think he’ll get back stronger. He’s a good player.”

Am I the only one here who thinks the absolute best course of action is cutting the old, injury prone Springs who will be a huge drain on our salary cap and giving extensions to both Rogers and Hall? That way we have Rogers at #1, Hall is our #2, with Smoot/Tryon battling for nickel and dime?

Am I the only one here who thinks the absolute best course of action is cutting the old, injury prone Springs who will be a huge drain on our salary cap and giving extensions to both Rogers and Hall? That way we have Rogers at #1, Hall is our #2, with Smoot/Tryon battling for nickel and dime?

As much financial sense as it would make to cut Springs, our front office has to balance that against what Springs brings defensively. Yes, he's oft injured, but when healthy, he's one of our best defensive players.

According to the Redskins Insider blog, Springs is in tight with Coach Jerry Grey, who likes his versatility and man coverage abilities.

Personally, I'd be surprised if Springs wasn't retained.

Looks like we have an answer.

Thanks for the update 33;I too caught that article.

Nothing too surprising there. With Carlos coming off of surgery, it is no stretch of the imagination to assume there would be some residual effect.

Archived