Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should the Mountain West get an auto BCS bid?

MattFancy

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3861079

Apparently the MWC is applying for an automatic bid in BCS bowls. I think they deserve it. Utah has 2 BCS Bowl wins since 2004, the ACC has 1. TCU beat Oklahoma a few years ago in Oklahoma and the MWC had 3 teams ranked in the final AP poll, the ACC also had 3, and the Big East had 2. What do you think?

As bad as the Big East has been in football, along with the ACC (though I think that conference will rebound) and the fact that the Big 10 is terrible in BCS games.

I don't see how they can say no. These conferences have not proven that they are any better than the MWC.

don't let 3 bcs wins in 4 years get in the way of your trashing.

i'm not trying to trash the big east by any means. i'm actually a mountaineer fan since a bunch of my friends from high school go there. i was just comparing the mwc with the acc and big east. the mwc is pretty even with them over the last few seasons. thats the only point i'm trying to prove, not the the acc of big east is horrible, just that the mwc is pretty much on par with them.

i have no problem giving the mwc a bid. they deserve it, but how do you do it? you have to take away one from another conference. i guess pecking order for bcs wins, the acc gets the ax. let's do it, i'd love the hokie4redskins meltdown that'd ensue.

in the end, this is all stupid, pb has it right.

Get rid of auto bids altogether.

Problem solved.

not really, as BCS Conference teams will be higher ranked than non-BCS teams, just the nature of the system. Lately they have been putting more non-BCS conference teams in the top 25, but if you have a bunch of ACC, Big East, and Big Ten one loss teams, they will be put higher than a bunch of WAC and Mountain West one-loss teams.

While the system is there, auto bids must remain, unfortunately.

They are a conference in NCAA DIV 1-A football. There is no reason why each conference should not have an automatic bid. I understand the conferences are not that good. But if the MWC, WAC, Sunbelt, MAC (they get some love time-to-time) is gonna get as good as the SEC, PAC-10, Big 12 and the rest they need to be put in the same national spotlight or at least given the chance.

BCS is an elaborate scheme by good ol boy schools to keep all the accolades within their tight circles. They will only appease others if it prevents an egalitarian system like the playoffs. With that said, the mountain west will get an auto bid before any playoff system.

Archived