Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP-Skins should follow Falcons, Ravens & Miami

MarkMissoula

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/20/AR2009012003850_5.html?sid=ST2009012004054&s_pos=

All I read was how Vinny was going to do the right thing and build through the draft," an NFC executive said. "How do you build through the draft when you trade half your picks for guys at the end of their career? So what's the plan there? Is there a plan there? From the outside it's hard to see one."

JLC was wearing his Todd Heap jersey when he wrote this.

And just one quick note... We DID follow the Falcons, Ravens, and Miami by getting a new coach and changing our game plans drastically. (We just got pushed around and out-coached during the second half of the year.)

All three of these teams had new QBs... but article discusses the need to draft more lineman if you want to win games. Don't tell that to the Falcons or Ravens though. They both only drafted one lineman a PIECE last season.

but article discusses the need to draft more lineman if you want to win games. Don't tell that to the Falcons or Ravens though. They both only drafted one lineman a PIECE last season.

What about the past 5 years though? When you invest annually in your lines, there isn't a need to go all out every year

Don't tell that to the Falcons or Ravens though. They both only drafted one lineman a PIECE last season.

Don't look now but history just smacked you upside the head.

Past five years:

Falcons - 11 linemen

Ravens - 11 linemen

Skins - 6 linemen:(? ! :(:silly::applause::cool:?

Paging Molinaro and Lefotu, anyone seen these guys anywhere?

To be fair, the falcons and the dolphins had easy schedules. The ravens, however, had it rough. They weren't as bad as their 5-11 record last year would indicate either. They have a mean habit of playing good one year and bad the next. These kind of articles aggravate me though. I mean, how many people were clamoring about the jets being good after 2006 or the browns being good after last year only to have both teams drop to 4-12 the year after going 10-6. A team having one winning year doesn't all of a sudden mean they made great personnel decisions and they should be the envy of every non-playoff team. That's just dumb.

This is it in a nutshell under Snyderratto.

There is no coherent or consistent plan for this franchise as run by these two boobs. Here is the extent of their plan "We want to get good players any way we can and think we can win this coming season." That's it. One year they'll draft (poorly) the next year they'll splurge on FA and one year they became convinced that going the restricted free agent route was the way to go. They are a rudderless front office with no guiding philosophy or plan.

still cant believe how many people whine about JLC. The Redskins deserve this type of press because the franchise is a billion dollar joke. The Cardinals are in the super bowl while the Redskins still cant score points, protect the QB, nor put any type of pressure on the QB. These same three issues have been the theme year after year after year. Oh wait... Snider just sold another jersey.

Well, this isn't entirely true. How many players did the Skins draft? 10!!! When was the last time that happened? Taylor? Okay, 2 DE's went down, on the first day of training camp. 90% of this board was all for it. We are talking about a player that has had the most sacks since 2000. But when things didn't work, Vinny was the bad guy.

Skins weren't players in FA, last year. Fans had the nerve to whine. I couldn't believe it.

Look at the DL that were drafted last year. Gholston, a top 10 pick, didn't play. How much $$$$$ did the Jets give him? Glenn Dorsey, a top 5 pick, was almost cut in training camp. Albert, a top 10 pick, never played for the KC Chiefs. So, thats 2 first round players that didn't even make an impact. KC had how many picks high round picks last year? Now, we know why Carl Peterson quit.

Even when it looks like the Skins are going in the right direction, fans whine. I'm tired of reading about these unnamed sources. Man up or shut up!!!! Hail Skins!!!!!!!!

The problem with this article and a great deal of the Snyder/Vinny are dumb crowd is they are always and I mean always looking either sideways or backwards .

Look at so and so look at what X is doing or Y has done how dumb were we to pick up blah ...

Looking back on the trades .

In 2007 we picked up Pete Kendell for what became a the 4th round pick . He has been nothing but solid to very good . Time may be up on him but the Jets who thought they could do with out him lost his two replacements (Bender and Clarke) and went out and spent $40 million on Faneca to replace him . Faneca who many say he got to the probowl on reputation and who's play has been deteriorating for a couple of years .

Erazmus James was a punt ( a 7th round pick) on a player who might have turned out OK . He was a former 1st round pick but injuries robbed him of his career .

the 2/6 on Taylor is pointed to as a dumb move in the cold light of day after Jason had the worst year of his career and was dogged by injuries . However at the time it was a good decision .

If we had done nothing we would have had Demetric Evans, Rob Jackson, Wilson and Andre Carter at DE . Taylor would have been traded, most likey to NFCE NY Giants having lost Osi and Strahan in the same offseason and were searching for help . Lets also say Taylor going to a different team reamined healthy . How many would be happy we did nothing when Taylor was available ?

This is it in a nutshell under Snyderratto.

There is no coherent or consistent plan for this franchise as run by these two boobs. Here is the extent of their plan "We want to get good players any way we can and think we can win this coming season." That's it. One year they'll draft (poorly) the next year they'll splurge on FA and one year they became convinced that going the restricted free agent route was the way to go. They are a rudderless front office with no guiding philosophy or plan.

Draft? It is a crap shoot. I think the Skins should build through the draft. But Vinny and other GM's have no idea how these players are going to play on Sundays. The point is that the Skins drafted 10 players. And fans loved it. But since the rookies didn't make an immediate impact, Vinny didn't do his job. Every team misses on players. Some teams get lucky and get immediate production. But out of last years draft class, name 10 players that had an immediate impact. I can think of 4. Chris Johnson, DeSean Jackson, Matt Ryan, and Donnie Avery. How many college kids were drafted?

I didn't expect any of the rookies to make an immediate impact. But Horton did. Moore came on at the end of the season. We can't judge this draft class in 1 year.

Now, lets see what Vinny does in the draft to fix the OL and DL. I hope they are not busy in FA, again. Lets see how many fans whine about that, again.

The problem with this article and a great deal of the Snyder/Vinny are dumb crowd is they are always and I mean always looking either sideways or backwards .

Look at so and so look at what X is doing or Y has done how dumb were we to pick up blah ...

Looking back on the trades .

In 2007 we picked up Pete Kendell for what became a the 4th round pick . He has been nothing but solid to very good . Time may be up on him but the Jets who thought they could do with out him lost his two replacements (Bender and Clarke) and went out and spent $40 on Faneca

Erazmus James was a punt ( a 7th round pick) on a player who might have turned out OK . He was a former 1st round pick but injuries robbed him of his career .

the 2/6 on Taylor is pointed to as a dumb move in the cold light of day after Jason had the worst year of his career and was dogged by injuries . However at the time it was a good decision .

If we had done nothing we would have had Demetric Evans, Rob Jackson, Wilson and Andre Carter at DE . Taylor would have been traded, most likey to NFCE NY Giants having lost Osi and Strahan in the same offseason and were searching for help . Lets also say Taylor going to a different team reamined healthy .

Those crying and weaping about giving up a 2nd and 6th now would be yelling and screaming demaning to know how we could miss out on a perenial talent like Taylor with the DE situation as it was .

What we need to do is look forwards, see what is on the horizon how can we make a bad situation (8-8) better .

Totally agree. If had Taylor signed with the Giants, played well, fans would have been all over Vinny for not signing Taylor. Thats how we work. You are right. The fans were all for the trade but it didn't work. So...................this is what happens. Damn if you do, damn if you don't.

Vinny has some mistakes, like every GM. But sometimes I don't think its fair to bash him. Not his fault the Skins lost 2 DE's, at training camp, the first day.

Well, this isn't entirely true. How many players did the Skins draft? 10!!! When was the last time that happened? Taylor? Okay, 2 DE's went down, on the first day of training camp. 90% of this board was all for it. We are talking about a player that has had the most sacks since 2000. But when things didn't work, Vinny was the bad guy.

Skins weren't players in FA, last year. Fans had the nerve to whine. I couldn't believe it.

Look at the DL that were drafted last year. Gholston, a top 10 pick, didn't play. How much $$$$$ did the Jets give him? Glenn Dorsey, a top 5 pick, was almost cut in training camp. Albert, a top 10 pick, never played for the KC Chiefs. So, thats 2 first round players that didn't even make an impact. KC had how many picks high round picks last year? Now, we know why Carl Peterson quit.

Even when it looks like the Skins are going in the right direction, fans whine. I'm tired of reading about these unnamed sources. Man up or shut up!!!! Hail Skins!!!!!!!!

The fact is, the Skins need to make huge strides offensively to seriously contend next year. The defense is good enough to contend.

Your points are good in that the draft is not an exact science. Any player can be a bust. This is why Joe Gibbs so loved free agency. However, to dive back into free agency we need to be more careful about who we add and what we pay them. Will they fit our system? Do they have a positive attitude?

It seems clear to me that we need one more playmaker, preferably a speedy back or a tall receiver, who can cause matchup problems. Both Warner and Roethlisberger, and even McNabb throughout the playoffs were successful when they moved around, bought some time, and threw underneath the coverage but past the blitz to a back with speed. It kills an aggressive defense. Think about it: in Minnesota Westbrook broke the Vikings with that long dump/screen pass that he took to the house. Warner threw the winning pass to Hightower as the Eagles blitzed him this past Sunday. And Roethlisberger is so good that he can get the ball to anyone when he's out of the pocket.

All this being said, when is the last time the Skins beat a blitz and dumped the ball to someone who took the ball 30, 40, or 50 plus yards?

This little twirp writes a giant article almost entirely on the Ravens and puts in the Post. What a dope. We should try and follow the Ravens????

How about we try and follow a team that has won the SUPER BOWL recently. Perhaps the Steelers or Giants?

JLC BLOWS. The fact the Ravens lost to Pittsburgh ruined his year....that makes me so happy.

First, stop giving up draft picks for aging players. In fact, stop giving up first day draft picks period.

JLC once again showed that he likes to grind his axe. But he did point out a few things in the article. The skins missed on Heyer/Gaither from MD. A school right down the street from us. The Ravens picked the better of the two players. A lack of talent evaluation by our front office.

It is not only about having a plan and continuously re-stocking Dline and Oline players, but having the ability to evaluate talent. A number of teams picked players in the first round (Carolina/Miami/Falcons) that contributed right away. Two of those teams moved up to get that player.

Vinny trades down to get what's left because we don't have enough draft choices to re-stock our aging talent.

It is almost as if the skins FO is afraid to draft players for fear of missing on them.

Concerning Miami's turnaround, that was as much to do with luck. Picking up Chad, getting a great lineman with the first pick (no always true) and having an easier schedule than the one they will have next year. However, the Tuna was smart in the draft. He even took DE Merling just ahead of the skins. He also got rid of an aging expensive player and picked up a couple of draft picks in a steal of a trade.

On a side note, JLC quotes some veteran players in the article. I am not saying they are wrong, but sometimes a player doesn't know that much more than an educated fan.

I said earlier that Vinny gets another off-season. Well, let's see if he understands what he has to do.

The fact is, the Skins need to make huge strides offensively to seriously contend next year. The defense is good enough to contend.

Your points are good in that the draft is not an exact science. Any player can be a bust. This is why Joe Gibbs so loved free agency. However, to dive back into free agency we need to be more careful about who we add and what we pay them. Will they fit our system? Do they have a positive attitude?

It seems clear to me that we need one more playmaker, preferably a speedy back or a tall receiver, who can cause matchup problems. Both Warner and Roethlisberger, and even McNabb throughout the playoffs were successful when they moved around, bought some time, and threw underneath the coverage but past the blitz to a back with speed. It kills an aggressive defense. Think about it: in Minnesota Westbrook broke the Vikings with that long dump/screen pass that he took to the house. Warner threw the winning pass to Hightower as the Eagles blitzed him this past Sunday. And Roethlisberger is so good that he can get the ball to anyone when he's out of the pocket.

All this being said, when is the last time the Skins beat a blitz and dumped the ball to someone who took the ball 30, 40, or 50 plus yards?

Totally agree with you. First of all, the defense is good. No, they don't generate a lot of sacks. Is that the scheme? That is on Blache. I think the Skins have the DL to get to the QB. Blache needs to tweak his scheme.

I don't mind the Skins being a player in FA. Like you said, the player must fit the system. Gross will be 30 years old soon. In my book, he's out for any consideration. The Ravens center, Brown, all over it.

The offense doesn't have a threat, other than Moss. You are right. Thomas will be a threat. I think the Skins need a Percy Harvin or Jeremy Maclin. Oh yes! You can't teach 4.2 speed. I know the Skins need help on the OL and DL. But I couldn't pass on these guys. No way!

Anyone want to refute this?

"We knew we were getting older on the offensive line, no question about it," said Eric DeCosta, the Ravens' director of college scouting. "But instead of making wholesale changes in one year, we decided we were going to address it through several drafts. Our feeling as an organization is that you win up front on the offensive and defensive lines, and in general we'll always address those positions in the draft.

"Some people think you've got to have big-money guys at all the sexy positions -- running back and quarterback and wide receiver -- and take care of that first. We kind of look at it differently."

Unfortunately, Snyderatto does not have this same philosophy. Never had it. Probably never will.

Don't look now but history just smacked you upside the head.

Past five years:

Falcons - 11 linemen

Ravens - 11 linemen

Skins - 6 linemen:(? ! :(:silly::applause::cool:?

Paging Molinaro and Lefotu, anyone seen these guys anywhere?

Bingo

This team needs to pull 5 lineman (3 OL, 2 DL) in every draft for the next 5 years to rebuild this rotting core on the o-line and d-line

Those teams in the 80s had both, dominant o-line play and a stout d-line

still cant believe how many people whine about JLC. The Redskins deserve this type of press because the franchise is a billion dollar joke. The Cardinals are in the super bowl while the Redskins still cant score points, protect the QB, nor put any type of pressure on the QB. These same three issues have been the theme year after year after year. Oh wait... Snider just sold another jersey.

BUt but but....it's his team. He can run it how he pleases. He tries REALLY REALLY hard to put a winner on the field. He makes oodles and oodles of money.

/sarcasm

The issue is that one season (last year) we are all about using the draft to build the roster, great. However, this off-season we maybe back to using free agency to fill the roster ala past years. This is the problem you can't have both ways as they are very different strategies. While it maybe a good idea to one person (Snyderrato) in the front office the rest of the presonel department is left ruderless if the strategy keeps changing from year to year. Imagine a scout in our personel dept who has to change who/how they scout if everything changes every year or so.

First, stop giving up draft picks for aging players. In fact, stop giving up first day draft picks period.

JLC once again showed that he likes to grind his axe. But he did point out a few things in the article. The skins missed on Heyer/Gaither from MD. A school right down the street from us. The Ravens picked the better of the two players. A lack of talent evaluation by our front office.

It is not only about having a plan and continuously re-stocking Dline and Oline players, but having the ability to evaluate talent. A number of teams picked players in the first round (Carolina/Miami/Falcons) that contributed right away. Two of those teams moved up to get that player.

Vinny trades down to get what's left because we don't have enough draft choices to re-stock our aging talent.

It is almost as if the skins FO is afraid to draft players for fear of missing on them.

Concerning Miami's turnaround, that was as much to do with luck. Picking up Chad, getting a great lineman with the first pick (no always true) and having an easier schedule than the one they will have next year. However, the Tuna was smart in the draft. He even took DE Merling just ahead of the skins. He also got rid of an aging expensive player and picked up a couple of draft picks in a steal of a trade.

On a side note, JLC quotes some veteran players in the article. I am not saying they are wrong, but sometimes a player doesn't know that much more than an educated fan.

I said earlier that Vinny gets another off-season. Well, let's see if he understands what he has to do.

I'll give Vinny another shot. Remember, this was his first draft his was in charge of.

Yeah, there are rookies that made an immediate impact. But there are more that didn't. How would you feel, giving a rookie guaranteed money, and no results? We are talking about a first round pick. A first round pick should start, no? 16-20 mil, is a lot of money with no impact.

I love the draft. But I can see where the Skins are afraid. A lot money. You have to gamble. Teams have to take that chance.

Archived