Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Zorn Updates Redskins' Roster Meetings

SkinsMaster88

If you have the personnel to do both well, sure.

One dimensional? I just looked it up and they were 8th in the NFL in sacks with 38 last year. That's pretty good for a one-dimensional line.

Not to jump in on the middle of a conversation but that stat does not accurately reflect how well a DLine plays. Break that down to sacks via the front 4 and tell me what you come up with and where they rank compared to other teams. I would guess it is sub 15 and a rank near the bottom.

If you have the personnel to do both well, sure.

Which is why one should make a dedicated effort to construct a defensive line that can do both. But that's a little difficult when people like Vinny Cerrato and yourself make claims over the past few seasons that nothing is wrong with our defensive line.

Who's fault is it that we don't have the personnel to do both well?

One dimensional? I just looked it up and they were 8th in the NFL in sacks with 38 last year. That's pretty good for a one-dimensional line.

I already analyzed this in a post LAST YEAR. Most of their sacks came from NON-LINEMEN meaning they were selling out on the blitz to get their sacks which is further supported by their horrible pass defense.

Assessing them as a "pretty good for a one-dimensional line" is something the Redskins would have done. Minnesota's front office isn't that great, but at least they were smart enough to see that the sack number alone was not a good indicator of how much their line lacked, which is why they went and got Jared Allen which transformed their entire defense. Imagine if it was you or the Redskins FO or any other apologist who've made their presence known in this thread that was in charge of that team. "Oh, our defensive line is good enough. We stop the run and it's the responsibility of the back seven to get the QB and they did a good job of it." And another year of ****ty pass defense.

As an aside, I don't know why people are making a big deal about Zorn saying the OL is solid. I think that is an honest assessment of the line. A bad line doesn't create a 1400+ rusher, unless the back is Barry Sanders. It also has been said that the line wasn't quite as bad at pass protecting as a lot of people assumed during the season.

That being said, teams don't settle for "solid". They want great, dominating lines.

Teams do. The Redskins haven't. Hopefully the Redskins will starting this upcoming offseason.

Because if he said anything else to the media he would have to live with the comment for next year and possibly beyond. You walk a thin line knowing that if he calls them "poor" and has to use their services in the future he will have 0 respect.

exactly. I'm sure Zorn knows that our o-line is anything less than solid but it would be foolish to throw his o-line under the bus by saying so. He'll address the o-line in the draft (he better at least)

Link: http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Zorn_Updates_Redskins__Roster_Meetings_31076.jsp

Zorn Updates Redskins' Roster Meetings

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

Posted: January 15, 2009

Head coach Jim Zorn continues to huddle with coaches and personnel officials this week as the team evaluates the roster following an 8-8 season.

Zorn took time out for an interview with Larry Michael on “Redskins Nation,” broadcast locally on Comcast SportsNet.

The full interview will air this Friday on "Redskins Nation" and will be replayed on Monday and Tuesday next week.

Zorn discussed his thoughts on the Redskins’ offensive and defensive lines, but emphasized the evaluation was still in the early stages.

“We have a solid offensive line, but we’re always looking to build,” he said. “Guys do get injured, so when you have to put a new guy in, you would love to have him come in and have it be seamless.”

This is the key part of that article. The evaluation is still in its early stages. Anybody and everybody around the NFL can see that the interior of both lines were small and didn't have any push. :helmet:

OMG!!! I said the same thing as the second poster...IS HE on DRUGS???? Our O line is hideous! And our D line??? What D line...

Zorny is getting scarier.

He can't win with some of you guys. If he says we have problems then he is "throwing players under the bus" and "has lost the locker room!"

Whatever.....:rolleyes:

Archived