Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Zorn Updates Redskins' Roster Meetings

SkinsMaster88

Link: http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Zorn_Updates_Redskins__Roster_Meetings_31076.jsp

Zorn Updates Redskins' Roster Meetings

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

Posted: January 15, 2009

Head coach Jim Zorn continues to huddle with coaches and personnel officials this week as the team evaluates the roster following an 8-8 season.

Zorn took time out for an interview with Larry Michael on “Redskins Nation,” broadcast locally on Comcast SportsNet.

The full interview will air this Friday on "Redskins Nation" and will be replayed on Monday and Tuesday next week.

Zorn discussed his thoughts on the Redskins’ offensive and defensive lines, but emphasized the evaluation was still in the early stages.

“We have a solid offensive line, but we’re always looking to build,” he said. “Guys do get injured, so when you have to put a new guy in, you would love to have him come in and have it be seamless.”

If the Redskins spend a high draft pick on an offensive lineman this year, then they would expect that player to contribute right away, Zorn said.

“You would want him to step in and be the guy,” he said.

The Redskins have the 13th overall pick in the NFL Draft this April.

Regarding the defensive line, Zorn said he would like to see Greg Blache’s unit generate a stronger pass rush in 2009.

Washington had 24 sacks last season, tied for 28th in the league.

A stronger pass rush would force quarterbacks into mistakes, leading to more interceptions, Zorn said.

...[Later in article]

Zorn also discussed Clinton Portis, who was certainly a vocal presence last season due to his weekly radio show on ESPN 980.

“I think our relationship is fine,” Zorn said of Portis. “I think he learned some things about me [last season], in that I’m going to be pretty consistent in the way I coach. And I think I learned some things about him.

“He comes to play, he gives it all, and he’s an exciting football player. He’s passionate about this football team and he’s passionate about the way he plays the game.

“I think we can work together along those lines--both of us working hard to get to the same goal, and that’s to win a championship and fulfill all the goals we have set for ourselves.”

...Rest at link

Yes, we have a solid offensive line.............. except for all those pesky holes in it.

I just hope they don't go into the draft expecting that ONE guy is gonna come in and immediatley be the complete solution to our line troubles. I definitley think we need more than one lineman......

Yes, we have a solid offensive line.............. except for all those pesky holes in it.

I just hope they don't go into the draft expecting that ONE guy is gonna come in and immediatley be the complete solution to our line troubles. I definitley think we need more than one lineman......

No kidding, but we better make sure atleast one of the olineman we draft are ready to go NOW.

We can't afford to have all of our draft picks ride the pine this year

I hope Zorn's quote about the 13th pick having to be able to contribute right away is an indicator that they're actually looking into it... And not a precursor to the dreaded "No lineman was worth taking!" excuse.

As for the pass rush... It might have something to do with the fact that the d-line is anchored by players in their mid 30's...

On a sidenote, I wonder what the response will be from the people who crow, "Would you rather stop the run or have a pass rush? Just look at the Eagles!"

Pretty solid O-line?

Is he on drugs?

What is it we want from him?

In the beginning everyone thought it was a breathe of fresh air, following Gibbs, that Zorn actually talked to the media about everything going on with the team. Then everyone got mad at Zorn, because he said the rookie receivers weren't up to snuff, suggesting that he was throwing them under the bus. Now Zorn is saying what ultimately won't get him in trouble with his players, and he's on drugs?

I'm not in any boat where Zorn is infallible, but this is getting silly. We know the lines are old and so does he, which is why he said they are looking at an o-lineman at the first pick. Do you want him to call them old and washed up? Not to mention, they were pretty solid in the first half of the season, before injuries and age caught up.

I believe that between the 10th and 15th picks are always nice picks for teams who want to move back. I believe Vinny and comp will certainly try the same gameplan as they did last year. With it being so far away from the draft it tough to say who may or may not fall to them with that pick. I think we should make an attempt to sign Jordan Gross. He immediatley can start at RT, and either draft a LT, and allow that pick and Heyer to battle for the LT spot. There needs to be more competition on this team, and less of the "veteraness". Competiton brings out the best in everyone, and I watched a team like Baltimore build their OL by allowing them to battle in camp, and OTA's to see who was the best possible player for that position.

Regarding the defensive line, Zorn said he would like to see Greg Blache’s unit generate a stronger pass rush in 2009.

In other threads recently, I pointed out that the defense's passive tactics ran counter to Zorn's offensive philosophy. I speculated that he would press Blache for a more aggressive scheme to create more turnovers and short field advantages for the offense.

I think we have enough talent already on board to do it without excessive blitzes.

What is it we want from him? ..

I'm not in any boat where Zorn is infallible, but this is getting silly. We know the lines are old and so does he, which is why he said they are looking at an o-lineman at the first pick. Do you want him to call them old and washed up? Not to mention, they were pretty solid in the first half of the season, before injuries and age caught up.

I concur. The O-line can't be considered terrible. I mean, we had a solid rushing attack once again this year, and the pass protection issues were at least somewhat manageable, seeing as how JC's turnovers dramatically decreased.

The teams that really exposed us were Pittsburgh, Baltimore, New York, and Dallas. Those are some of the best pass rushing defenses in the league, and the beating they put on us definitely left a sour taste, but I don't think we're as bad as some would like to think.

I saw a veteran unit that had practiced a run-first philosophy for 5 years or so, and had to learn to pass block without max-protect help. We got better as the year wound down in that area, despite all the injuries. That said, I think a few new players, and one stud tackle, are certainly vital to the O-line's continued progress.

How in the hell can Zorn call our OL solid?

Because if he said anything else to the media he would have to live with the comment for next year and possibly beyond. You walk a thin line knowing that if he calls them "poor" and has to use their services in the future he will have 0 respect.

Of course we have a Strong Offensive line.

When they're completely healthy. I mean, they were fine in the first half of the season. Portis was running buck wild, and Campbell had time to throw.

Now we need a line thats even better than that one. Upgrade it. Draft Michael Oher and watch him anchor the Right Tackle spot until Samuels calls it quits.

Come on guys, he cant come out and say the offensive line sucks. Get a grip.

And in his defense, when our line is healthy and playing like they CAN, they are solid. For some reason they just seem like they arent trying half the time. And of course, some one is always hurt and our depth is terrible.

I hope Zorn's quote about the 13th pick having to be able to contribute right away is an indicator that they're actually looking into it... And not a precursor to the dreaded "No lineman was worth taking!" excuse.

As for the pass rush... It might have something to do with the fact that the d-line is anchored by players in their mid 30's...

On a sidenote, I wonder what the response will be from the people who crow, "Would you rather stop the run or have a pass rush? Just look at the Eagles!"

Well, a D-lineman would be someone who could come in right away and make a difference. Less so, an O-lineman.

I'm not actually convinced they need to spend a 1st on an O-lineman. Part of me would much rather see a D-lineman or LB taken at that spot.

And in his defense, when our line is healthy and playing like they CAN, they are solid. For some reason they just seem like they arent trying half the time. And of course, some one is always hurt and our depth is terrible.

:applause:

But RT still needs a new starter.

];6052493']Of course we have a Strong Offensive line.

When they're completely healthy . I mean' date=' they were fine in the first half of the season. Portis was running buck wild, and Campbell had time to throw.

Now we need a line thats even better than that one. Upgrade it. Draft Michael Oher and watch him anchor the Right Tackle spot until Samuels calls it quits.[/quote']

I, for one, completely agree with the majority of this board in that we NEED to address the O-Line this April. I don't, however, feel it needs to be addressed in Round #1 or our main priority in the coming draft. We've got to get deeper, get younger and build for the future - yes. We've got a few offensive linemen we haven't seen much of yet in Batiste, Clark, Geisinger and Rinehart - who may be solid or even exceptional - we don't know yet. Many were very, very high on Rinehart in particular. I also think Heyer will be very solid at RT with time. In my opinion, this issue can be addressed in later rounds to avoid spending millions of dollars in guaranteed money on an offensive lineman who may or may not pan out.

Best player available in Round #1, build for depth later. I'm in the minority on this one, I know.. but to me this makes a lot of sense. :2cents:

Well, a D-lineman would be someone who could come in right away and make a difference. Less so, an O-lineman.

I'm not actually convinced they need to spend a 1st on an O-lineman. Part of me would much rather see a D-lineman or LB taken at that spot.

I disagree with that. History has shown that offensive linemen taken early often have a much greater impact from the start over defensive linemen taken early. Despite our lack of a pass rush from the front 4, our defense was still solid in terms of containment and making big plays when it counted. One of the reasons why our defense looked stagnant at times was because our offense couldn't generate long sustaining drives to let the defense rest.

This article excites me because it indicates to me that the coaching staff and front office are really taking a hard long look at the offensive line. Being an offensively minded coach, Zorn knows that the key to his offense's success is the play of the line. If we spend the 13th overall on a young stud mauling offensive linemen, the following happen as a result if he pans out from day 1:

- Jason is given more protection, and he no longer has the "protection" reason for his shortcomings, which will allow us to evaluate him more clearly.

- Our running game is energized, which allows us to set up the playaction and big plays alot easier.

- We're able to grind out long drives, which will cause the defense to be rested and able to perform better.

- We can control the game, and Portis will thrive in the same manner he did in the beginning of the year.

If we can do all this, we'll be much better off in every facet of the game. Plus, given how deep this draft is in terms of the linemen coming out, we'll still be able to get a quality defensive tackle in the 3rd (or 2nd if a trade permits).

If we draft a guy like Michael Oher or Jason Smith, I will be soooooo stoked. :)

OR what if he did come out and say that? What good would that do?

I don't think posters are considering the damage done with that statement. I mean what F/A would want to come to a place where the coach opening states, YOU SUCK and we need to bring in new guys.

Eat crow? Both stopping the run and and pass rush are important. But stopping the run is more important. Don't talk about the Eagles. They were 5-5-1 and led the league in sacks. Crow?

Eat crow? Both stopping the run and and pass rush are important. But stopping the run is more important. Don't talk about the Eagles. They were 5-5-1 and led the league in sacks. Crow?

I said crow as in making noise, not as in eating crow.

The Eagles were leading in sacks, but did you check out how they ranked in stopping the run? Yup, they were right up there, too.

So no, you don't have to choose between stopping the run and rushing the passer. Contrary to a myth that could only be perpetuated by the braintrust of ExtremeSkins, you can do both.

Archived