Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

geeks of ES post your PC specs

.Guy.

I figure that at least some of the people who can actually post on a forum should be somewhat computer literate and thus we should have a pretty good amount of PC enthusiasts here.

I love tweaking building my computers. Also as a college student funds are hard to come by so I don't have the most powerful computer but I gets a long fine.

Here are my specs

Asus P5N-E SLI - a solid, inexpensive board. Does what I ask it to.

Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 overclocked to 3.6ghz. A solid 400FSB with the RAM running at a 1:1 divider.

4GB of OCZ RAM running at 800mhz. I've tightened the timing to 4-4-4-12.

BFG 8800GT 512MB. This card is one of the best bang for the buck purchases I've made. The 8800 series IMO was on top for a long time. It runs hot so I leave it at stock speeds.

A Western Digital 640AAKS Hard Drive. It has two 320GB platters so its pretty damn fast. Didn't want to shell out big bucks for a Raptor.

I have a Creative Audigy 2 Value Soundcard which will be replaced soon. Its pretty decent sound quality but I want a sound card with Optical out.

I have Samsung 2693HM 26" monitor with a resolution of 1920x1200. I love the real estate but I want more. Well at least It can play full 1080p.

All of this is housed in a house sleek Lian LI A05B. Its midtower case but it looks so nice. No bling factor here. Its just elegant.

Running all of it with the greatest OS of all time... Windows Vista Ultimate x64.

I want to upgrade to Core i7... will probably do it within the next year. Nothing is ever fast enough :D

Damn... I am guessing this will sound like gibberish to most of you LOL. But to those who actually understand post your stuff. It will cool to see what others members are running.

Also I am ready for the "its a box thats says Gateway on it and its slow" posts.

Nice specs.

Not the most powerful like you said but it gets the job done. Surprised you say Vista 64 is the best OS around (unless that's sarcasm) when you could dual boot with Leopard. I haven't updated my computer in 5 or 6 years and it still runs fair. Dell 8400 (Pentium 4, 1.5GB RAM, 320GB HDD, XP Home, ect.). Just haven't found the time or money to update my PC although I did help a friend do a build. Researched parts and all got a pretty good deal at the time. Gigabyte mobo (don't remember exact model although it is compatible with the new 45nm Intel processors), Intel E6700, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, 20" Samsung monitor, ect.

If I need to get computer parts (or most electronics for that matter) I use Newegg. Probably the best site to buy things online. Great customer service, HUGE selection, and a great user forum for any advice on builds.

Gigabyte P35 DS3L

Intel Q6600 @ 3.33 GHZ under a ZeroTherm Nirvana HSF

4GB A-Data Ram

BFG 8800 GT (stock)

24" Acer P241w LCD

Happauge 1800 TV Tuner (forget the exact model comp is at school)

Western Digital 640AAKS (love it)

Vista Ultimate 64

However I got a MacBook Pro about 3 months ago and I use that MUCH more these days :)

Gigabyte P35 DS3L

Intel Q6600 @ 3.33 GHZ under a ZeroTherm Nirvana HSF

4GB A-Data Ram

BFG 8800 GT (stock)

24" Acer P241w LCD

Happauge 1800 TV Tuner (forget the exact model comp is at school)

Western Digital 640AAKS (love it)

Vista Ultimate 64

However I got a MacBook Pro about 3 months ago and I use that MUCH more these days :)

Why not just buy a non Apple laptop and put Leopard on it? I know people want the look and feel of Apple, but you'd be saving $1000...

snip

No sarcasm at all about Vista x64. It looks great, runs fast and is stable. Media Center is off the hook.

Yeah Newegg is great but I use amazon because I have Prime (which means free shipping and next day air only costs $4). The prices are pretty much the same but shipping makes amazon win out.

Also I surf slickdeals and fatwallet and when I see a good deal on stuff I jump on it. Hell I've bought plenty of stuff from buy.com because they sometimes sell stuff super cheap.

Some good specs here.

Slacky you can't upgrade the graphics on a notebook :(

well you can't on your model.

Just put together a new machine this weekend.

MSI X58 Platinum board

Intel i7 920 (looks like these overclock nicely to 3.6-4ghz)

6GB DDR3 G.Skill

PC Power & Cooling 750w PSU

896MB eVGA 260 (Bad out of box, so am sending it in for RMA, using 7900GTX in the interim)

300GB Velociraptor drive

500GB WD storage drive

Antec P182 case

2x Dell 24" monitors

Windows 7 x64

I am still working on cooling - will probably go with a watercooling setup, or at least a better fan if I stay on air.

My old computer is going to my wife, that's an AMD X2 4400+, 2GB of RAM, and 74GB Raptor and 2x 36GB Raptors (and the 7900GTX once I get my new card back).

I wouldn't classify myself as a nerd... I'm more in the geek category.

anyways, my desktop, which I've had for 3 years and upgraded a bit along the way:

2.8 GHz Pentium 4 processor

nVidia Geforce 5500 FX

60 && 20 GB HDDs

1 GB RAM

Running Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon 32-bit (have XP, 2000, and 98 on multiboot but I don't really use those, especially since XP stopped recognizing my graphics card)

Ain't much anymore, but it was nice when I first got it.

My laptop:

Inspiron 1420

Core2Duo T7500+ (2.2 GHz)

160 GB HDD

2 GB RAM

nVidia Geforce 8400 GS

running on Ubuntu 6.04 LTS Hardy Heron 64-bit (multibooting with XP Home and Vista Home Premium, use them rarely, but they do serve their purposes).

That case is sweet. I was thinking about buying it, but went with a crappy, and what I found out to be ugly Thermaltake Armor to save some money.

Asus p5n32e sli board

8800 gts card

Intel 6420

Seagate 7200.10 300 gb

all running on 32 bit Vista with a 22 inch Samsung monitor

Running all of it with the greatest OS of all time... Windows Vista Ultimate x64.

You had me until this part... there's a reason why they've already released it's replacement (Windows 7 in beta currently). Vista is crap. How long did it last? Not even 3 years. XP had a life of almost 10 years.

You had me until this part... there's a reason why they've already released it's replacement (Windows 7 in beta currently). Vista is crap. How long did it last? Not even 3 years. XP had a life of almost 10 years.

I don't know, I haven't had any more problems with Vista than I had with XP when it was new. XP is good now, but it had its share of problems early on. It's also more secure, and has 64-bit support which is important for some people. (Yes, there is a 64-bit version of XP but it's worse than Vista in terms of driver and software support.) I find most people who bash Vista haven't used it and are repeating things they heard or read from 2-3 years ago.

At any rate, here's the machine I built last December:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L

Intel E4500 @2.93 GHz undervolted

ZeroTherm BTF-90 heatsink

XFX 8800GT 512MB (Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 added over the summer)

4GB SuperTalent DDR2-800

Samsung Spinpoint 500GB

Lite-On DVD Burner

Corsair 520HX

Antec Solo with Scythe Kaze-Jyu intake and Slipstream exhaust

LG L227WTG-PF (New this Christmas)

I was thinkin about starting a PC thread the other day. I am in the middle of building my new machine now (haven't done it in a long time). It would be done by now but I returned my CPU and should get my new one Tuesday.

I usually use AMD and ASUS for my machine and this time is no difference.

Mobo - ASUS M3A79-T 790FX

CPU - AMD Phenom II 940

RAM - 8 gigs Crucial Ballistix

Video card - Asus Radeon 4850 512 MB

Hard drives - two 75 gig Raptors RAID 0 for OS

- 300 gig Maxtor

- 1 TB Western Digital

NEC DVD RW

Monitors - two 22" Westinghouse (one sale Best Buy Black Friday)

Debating on Vista 64 or Windows 7 Beta 64

I was trying to keep my rig under $700 but after returning my CPU for new Phenom II and adding the Terabyte drive, I blew that. (Components from old computer going to new one: Raptor drives, 300 gig hard drive, DVD RW, monitors, and power supply.) The computer should overclock very well but I am not an overclocker so I probably won't.

By that logic, no MS OS except for XP has ever been anything but 'crap' - From Windows 3x up to Windows 7, XP is the only one that there was more than a 3 year gap between releases.

Yeah and that's just like your opinion man.

I think Vista is leagues better then XP. I haven't used 7 yet but as of right now Vista is #1 imo.

My computer is decent enough to run Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead at 50fps or higher (tf2 will often be around 90fps).

I got parts early last year. C2D E4500 (2.2GHZ), 2 GB ram, Geforce 8600 GT, a solid Intel motherboard (after RMA'ing an Asus board twice, I gave up on them), onboard sound (why anyone who doesn't do audio mixing/editing would buy a sound card is beyond me).

Archived