Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

geeks of ES post your PC specs

.Guy.

I'm actually in the market for a computer now, prebuilt up to a point. I can put in more memory or a graphics card. I've put in wireless cards on my old computers too. The kicker for me is I want it to be a computer I can play games on. Currently, I'm still addicted to World of Warcraft, but I'm playing it on a 7 year old computer I've upgraded as far as it will go...and it's bombing out on me all the time. I'm looking for a computer that I'll be able to upgrade over time so I can still play.

price to spend for computer & monitor, $1000. Any advice?

I'm actually in the market for a computer now, prebuilt up to a point. I can put in more memory or a graphics card. I've put in wireless cards on my old computers too. The kicker for me is I want it to be a computer I can play games on. Currently, I'm still addicted to World of Warcraft, but I'm playing it on a 7 year old computer I've upgraded as far as it will go...and it's bombing out on me all the time. I'm looking for a computer that I'll be able to upgrade over time so I can still play.

I been in the market for a new computer last few months. I was looking at buying an HP or other computer on Black Friday. Specs looked good with CPU and ammount of RAM. But be warned their Power supplies are not big and the few that I was looking at didn't have PCIe slots so I wouldn't be able to install my own Video card.

Meaningful incremental upgrades can be hard to plan for since slot standards and things like that change over time. As you've obviously noticed, you can't really keep a 7-year-old computer up to date just by changing a part here and there.

However, there are a few things you can look for to make sure that your machine is as flexible as possible. First, don't buy one of the slim or small form factor PCs because a gaming video card won't fit. You also, as torresa said, need a computer with a PCI-e x16 slot. PCI-e x1 won't do. Second, if you have the option, buy a PC with four RAM slots instead of just two. Last, but certainly not least, your computer needs a good power supply. Dell and HP cut their PCs fairly close from a power standpoint, and that limits your upgrade options. Usually you have to go with something like an XPS on the Dell side to get a power supply that will accomodate a future video card.

The word on the street is that prices are dropping on Intel's quad core line at the end of the month.

Is this the i7 processors?

Will have to go over the details of the editing programs and see which can use 64 bit and quad processors. Seems like that will be key.

The computer I use at work is a beast (though a Mac)

- Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Harpertown” processors (8-core)

- 32GB of 800MHz DDR2 fully buffered ECC memory

- 4 300GB 15,000-rpm SAS hard drives

- NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 1.5GB

- 2 Apple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel)

It is a brand new computer we here use to run our digital microscopy suite...It cost well over 20K as far as I can recall

Questions to all, do you think a 480 Watt PSU enough to run this system?

Mobo - ASUS M3A79-T 790FX

CPU - AMD Phenom II 940

RAM - 8 gigs Crucial Ballistix

Video card - Asus Radeon 4850 512 MB

Hard drives - two 75 gig Raptors RAID 0 for OS

- 300 gig Maxtor

- 1 TB Western Digital

NEC DVD RW

Monitors - two 22" Westinghouse (one sale Best Buy Black Friday)

I guess I will find out tomorrow

I agree with this, nothing comes close to Intel's i7. But at certain price points they are still competitive. The cheapest i7 costs more than the most expensive AMD. I may have gone i7 but the price for motherboard and RAM wasn't friendly to my wallet.

Phenom II's come really close, doesn't beat it, but they do come really close in benchmarks.. At about 100 bucks less.

Questions to all, do you think a 480 Watt PSU enough to run this system?

I guess I will find out tomorrow

I'm running a similar setup (power wise) on a 500w Antec PSU. Hell it ran two 8800GT's in SLI for a while without any hiccup.

It depends on how many amps are available on the 12v rail and if the PSU is a quality unit. Regardless though it wouldn't hurt to upgrade... you know you will have to eventually.

Great prebuilt computer available for local pick up @ bestbuy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9081325&type=product&id=1218017465909

i7, 3gb, 750gb hd, 4850, etc etc for $1249.

I'm not much into buying prebuilt but that's a VERY good system for the price.

my specs

p5n-e sli

8gb crucial

300gb velociraptor

lain li case

hx520 ps

8800gt 512mb

creative audigy 2zs

tv tuner

e8400

It's not a bad price, but I wouldn't call it amazing. That might not be a bad choice for you for your video editing Bob, although the graphics card is more powerful than you need. You should be able to put together a system that does what you want for $1000 or less easily. The advantage of a prebuilt is that it comes with a monitor and OS.

ATI specifies a 450W PSU for the 4850, so you're probably fine, although 28A on the 12V rail is a little light these days. How long has the PSU been in service?

well it looks likes i found my answer with my computer.. Old PSU won't even fit on new Mobo :doh: . My PSU only has a 20 pin connector for motherboard, and the board needs 24 pin + 4 pin for CPU

well it looks likes i found my answer with my computer.. Old PSU won't even fit on new Mobo :doh: . My PSU only has a 20 pin connector for motherboard, and the board needs 24 pin + 4 pin for CPU

Here are two good options:

PC Power & Cooling 500W for $50

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703015

Corsair 550VX

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004

The Corsair is more expensive, but you should be able to find a better price on it if you shop around. The PCP&C power supply is also an older model if I'm not mistaken. Either one should power your computer just fine, but the 550VX has more available amperage on the 12V rail which may be nice to have if you upgrade the video card in the future.

You could go even higher, and both companies have good offerings in the 600-700W range as well, but you don't really need to.

The problem with brick & mortar stores is that they're generally overpriced, although MicroCenter has had some pretty aggressive sales recently, and Fry's typically has some good deals if there's one near you.

Best Buy for example is a terrible place to get a PSU.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived