Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

geeks of ES post your PC specs

.Guy.

This arrives next week...

Dell Studio XPS9000

Win7 Professional, 64bit

Intel Core i7 975 processor (8MB L3 Cache, 3.33 GHz)

24GB Tri-Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 6 DIMMs

3TB Dual Hard Drives (2x1.5TB SATA 7200 RPM HDDs)

ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5 Video Card

24” U2410 UltraSharp Full HD Monitor

Dual Drives: Blu-ray Disc (BD) Burner (Writes to DVD/CD/BD) and DVD+/-RW

Soundblaster® X-Fi Titanium Sound Card

Integrated 10/1000 Ethernet

Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5500 Revolution Keyboard

Logitech Performance Cordless Mouse MX

Expensive? Yes. Will it rock? Oh yeah.

24 gigs of ram with a 64 bit operating system and an i7 processor? ...that is going to be bad ass.

Normally, I get a system that is a bit less than the best stuff out there. It usually lasts for about four years before it is too slow or so far behind the times.

This time, I decided to spend some bucks and get a system that will do just about everything for a few years and have a couple of extra years of decent performance as well.

It arrives next week. Looking forward to it. Like I said, it is expensive now - but a system like this one (with these specs) could be very affordable sometime later this year. Also, it took a few minutes to find this old thread. :)

damn BB that's a monster rig. must have cost a pretty penny :D

I have also recently (last few months) upgraded my PC.

Specs:

Intel Core i7 920 overclocked to 4.2ghz (proof)

Patriot 6Gb (3x2gb) DDR3 1600

Asus Rampage II Extreme Mobo

Sapphire HD 4870 1GB GPU

3 640GB HDD's in Raid 0

Corsair H50 modded for dual radiator

Lian Li PC-A05B Case

Antec NeoPower 500w (pushing it close lol)

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Its quite fast but the GPU is getting a little long in the tooth so that will be the next upgrade. Still waiting for the SSD's to drop down as well.

Heres a pic of my baby.

Normally, I get a system that is a bit less than the best stuff out there. It usually lasts for about four years before it is too slow or so far behind the times.

This time, I decided to spend some bucks and get a system that will do just about everything for a few years and have a couple of extra years of decent performance as well.

It arrives next week. Looking forward to it. Like I said, it is expensive now - but a system like this one (with these specs) could be very affordable sometime later this year. Also, it took a few minutes to find this old thread. :)

Cripes. With those kind of specs,it'll probably let itself in the front door. :silly:

I've got myself a nice IMac from 2008. Nothing too bulky. 2.8 ghz. Intel Core 2 duo. 2gb 800 ddr2 sdram. Nice big screen though. Nice computer for me.

:laugh: when my generation builds something fast it has a throttle, shifter, fat tires, and hot women like to ride on it or in it. :hump: :D

That is not as interesting as a hot woman sitting in your lap with a joystick in her hand while you control the paddles. :cool:

Oh by the way my Quad Core Xeon server keeps the basement warm. :)

Cripes. With those kind of specs,it'll probably let itself in the front door. :silly:

I've got myself a nice IMac from 2008. Nothing too bulky. 2.8 ghz. Intel Core 2 duo. 2gb 800 ddr2 sdram. Nice big screen though. Nice computer for me.

It is a nice computer indeed. The Core 2 duos will be around a long time - those chips and chipsets are solid performers.

Yeah, with those specs I'm hoping to have it build one of those female robots that we see in the tailgate - with long legs. :ols:

It is a nice computer indeed. The Core 2 duos will be around a long time - those chips and chipsets are solid performers.

Yeah, with those specs I'm hoping to have it build one of those female robots that we see in the tailgate - with long legs. :ols:

I bought it for my photography for one,but also because of what you stated. These beasts tend to last for a long time. That's a good thing.

And if you do get yours to build one of those robots,(as long as it doesn't start calling itself HAL),don't tell ACW. :secret:

:silly:

I bought it for my photography for one,but also because of what you stated. These beasts tend to last for a long time. That's a good thing.

And if you do get yours to build one of those robots,(as long as it doesn't start calling itself HAL),don't tell ACW. :secret:

:silly:

Who? Don't know him. :evilg:

You probably have tons of photos on the HD and will add many more over the years - so good idea. Not sure if you will do some videos with your camera in the future, but this machine was bought with the idea of streaming online Redskins games to the TV next season and beyond.

I'm actually in the process of planning my next rig. I was thinking the following so far:

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tracer 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

CPU: Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb

Power: CORSAIR CMPSU-750HX 750W

Video Card: SAPPHIRE 100283-3L Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

Don't have it all figured out yet... I can get the above for $1,154.93 on new egg.

I'm actually in the process of planning my next rig. I was thinking the following so far:

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tracer 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

CPU: Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb

Power: CORSAIR CMPSU-750HX 750W

Video Card: SAPPHIRE 100283-3L Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

Don't have it all figured out yet... I can get the above for $1,154.93 on new egg.

Another great system - and a great price too. I was just looking through this thread and seeing what some of the "old" specs were. Quite a difference in just one year. I'm not sure when a nanometer shrink for the next generation of processors will occur, but it's fun to speculate.

This arrives next week...

Dell Studio XPS9000

Win7 Professional, 64bit

Intel Core i7 975 processor (8MB L3 Cache, 3.33 GHz)

24GB Tri-Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 6 DIMMs

3TB Dual Hard Drives (2x1.5TB SATA 7200 RPM HDDs)

ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5 Video Card

24” U2410 UltraSharp Full HD Monitor

Dual Drives: Blu-ray Disc (BD) Burner (Writes to DVD/CD/BD) and DVD+/-RW

Soundblaster® X-Fi Titanium Sound Card

Integrated 10/1000 Ethernet

Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5500 Revolution Keyboard

Logitech Performance Cordless Mouse MX

Expensive? Yes. Will it rock? Oh yeah.

Ballsy system, but Dell? I mean, I understand wanting something a beefy system that will last you a while, but if you're gonna drop that much cash, it'd be reaaaal smart to build it yourself.

Now, I'm sure you got this price knocked down from the $6700 price tag the website gives, but I'm sure they didn't lower than about 10% off, $6k.

I threw the same specs into newegg, using real quality stuff and the parts for something like this came out to $3,949.80. Now, I obviously changed a couple things -- I had to factor in a case and power supply, and I went with a 24" samsung monitor, but all other specs are what dell is offering. $2k is considerable savings. The biggest rip off (atleast, straight up price wise) is the memory and processor upgrade. 24GB was a $2810 upgrade, whereas 24GB was a simple $949 in parts, and that is retail through Newegg. The processor upgrade while not as terrible, is a $1035 upgrade. This processor is $990 on newegg, but you have to factor in the base price of $1500 a little bit into that.

But hey, if you got that kind of coin to throw around, I certainly can understand wanting to not go through a headache of building something from scratch, installing the OS and having to take care of your own warranty work. But I think I would have rather saved the $2000 for a nice vacation or something ;).

Well THOUGHT I was putting the finishing touches on my new system tonight while installing my new PS i just received from tiger direct... but just figured out I have to buy a new SATA cd/dvd rom/writer..forgot the old ones i was going to use from my old system were the old IDE types... :silly: me LOL

New system consists of...

Antec P182 Case (i dont like all the lights and see thru cases, im old school heh)

http://benchmarkreviews.com/images/reviews/cases/Antec%20P182/p182-01.jpg

WIN XP

Seagate 1TB HDD 7200RPM

Ultra X3 850W Modular PS (single 12v rail at 70A)

4GB of Corsair Ram

Radeon HD 5850 Video 1Gig DDR5

Intel i5 Dual Core processor at 3.33Ghz (i5 661)

Intel DP55WB MB

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound (pulled from old system)

Still using my old Mitsubishi 22' CRT Monitor

Speakers..Boston Acoustics 5'1 setup..forget the model

Anyone know of a good/decent SATA dvd/cd rom/writer? :D I dont need or want blue ray capability

I built this... 3.5 years ago... however the parts are probably closer to 4.5 years old.

AMD 3500+ (2.2 Ghz), socket 939 w/stock cooler

Biostar Tforce4U motherboard (nforce4)

2GB PC3200 RAM

Antec PSU 300 W

Pioneer DVR116 DVD burner

Seagate 250 GB hard drive

In win 583T case

GeForce 7300 video card

The RAM, DVD Drive and PSU are all upgrades.

I hardly have any stressing uses for this thing. Encoding MP3s takes some time; not sure if an upgrade would help. It runs Windows XP. If I bought a new machine I'd likely run Ubuntu, knowing that one program would be missing (and another bunch of utils I'm somewhat comfortable with).

Anyone know of a good/decent SATA dvd/cd rom/writer? :D I dont need or want blue ray capability

The easiest thing to do when you want to check out whats good is head over the newegg and go to the Top Sellers portion of the product type.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010100005%204802&name=Top%20Sellers

You'll be happy with any one of these. :)

Is a Dell Inspiron E1505 a good laptop? I don't have any idea of the other stuff. It has media direct, whatever that means.

Get a business class latitude instead. They are better than Inspirons in my experience. Be sure to get a on site warranty unless you know how to fix things yourself.

Or www.zipzoomfly.com they have free shipping.

Did you even compare the prices? Or look at the shipping prices (which are no more than $2 for these drives) ?

The Lite-on model was $35 at Zip and $28 after shipping @ Newegg.

The LG model is $35 at Zip and $27 after shipping @ Newegg.

The Sony model is $37 at Zip and $30 after shipping @ Newegg.

The Samsung model is $35 at Zip and $31 after shipping @ Newegg.

These are all prices with shipping. Now Zip does have a $15 rebate on almost all of these, but that's not the real bottom line price.

Also, there is no filter at Zipzoomfly to view the top rated or top sellers. And if there is, its because I missed it in that clusterf- of a design they have going on. Its not a terrible site, the prices are decent and they do offer FedEx shipping which is good for some regions (my UPS ground shipments never give me an issue where I live and I rarely pay shipping through Newegg anyways), but it just doesn't offer some of the customizable and helpful views that Newegg does, and basically I'm referring to the Top Sellers view that people like Dbutz can use to determine a good model to narrow down what he should consider.

Ballsy system, but Dell? I mean, I understand wanting something a beefy system that will last you a while, but if you're gonna drop that much cash, it'd be reaaaal smart to build it yourself.

Now, I'm sure you got this price knocked down from the $6700 price tag the website gives, but I'm sure they didn't lower than about 10% off, $6k.

I threw the same specs into newegg, using real quality stuff and the parts for something like this came out to $3,949.80. Now, I obviously changed a couple things -- I had to factor in a case and power supply, and I went with a 24" samsung monitor, but all other specs are what dell is offering. $2k is considerable savings. The biggest rip off (atleast, straight up price wise) is the memory and processor upgrade. 24GB was a $2810 upgrade, whereas 24GB was a simple $949 in parts, and that is retail through Newegg. The processor upgrade while not as terrible, is a $1035 upgrade. This processor is $990 on newegg, but you have to factor in the base price of $1500 a little bit into that.

But hey, if you got that kind of coin to throw around, I certainly can understand wanting to not go through a headache of building something from scratch, installing the OS and having to take care of your own warranty work. But I think I would have rather saved the $2000 for a nice vacation or something ;).

I've had a business relationship with Dell since 1994 and when my company was sold a few years ago, Dell chose to keep that relationship intact. My vacations are still fully funded and I'm still smart (well, kinda). :D

Archived