Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Serious Sleeper FA Target: Cameron Wake

method man

• 9 months later...

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/6560/wake-hopes-long-journey-just-beginning

Saw this article and remembered talking about this guy. Sounds like he's doing well in Miami, has 4.5 sacks in limited action behind Joey Porter and Jason Taylor. Reading the comments on the article, it sounds like he struggles in pass coverage, but he knows how to get to the QB.

I thought he started the season with the Dolphins?

Still with the Dolphins. He excels at rushing the passer and on FG situations (used his athleticism and 40' vertical to jump over the line twice already). He struggles in pass coverage and really can't cover sideline to sideline so he doesn'y play all the time but he is beast at getting to the QB

This was just bumped guys, beware of the timeline before you post.

Anyway, I'm a huge PSU fan who goes to 1-2 games per season and never misses one on TV, and I had never heard of the guy. It wasn't until reading further that I made the connection that it was Derek Wake. I wonder when he started going by his middle name?

Anyway, he played for Penn State during the dark years earlier this decade, and was one of the lone bright spots on the team. Solid but not spectacular player.

If I'm remember the right guy (and this might not be right, take it with a grain of salt) he lost his job for two reasons. One was the emergence of Paul Posluszny, who would become one of the best LB's in Penn State history. The other was (again, I'm not sure it was him) he had some sort of ailment which was causing him to lose strength/almost faint, and he couldn't make it through an entire game.

I'm positive this happened with a PSU linebacker around this time, but I can't remember if it was Wake or not.

this my man lol i went to Dematha wit dude..was @ a cookout with him this summer when he jus got signed..yea he was a beast in hs (as you see he got the All-Met DOY), did ok @ Penn State, and did his thing in the CFL..I would like to seem in a Skins uniform

• 1 month later...
He is with the dolphins and wont be going anywhere. as for Oline, CFL olinemen are terrible and rarely do well in the NFL. right now there are a few guys who could have a shot but its a very different game up here.

What do you think of Stevie Baggs of the Roughriders? He seems like he could be a decent fit.

The CFL has been a decent pipeline of defensive talent to the NFL recently with guys like Chris Wilson, Rashad Jeanty, and Cam Wake.

Baggs is too small, Wake was undersized as well but has the frame to add weight and his stats were far above everyone elses when he was here. Baggs could maybe fit as a situational rusher on a 3-4 team.

Wake and Jeanty are both solid players but Wilson hasnt shown anything other than potential thus far, the thing is CFL De's need to be mobile and frankly the quality of CFL Otackles is pathetic.

Baggs is too small, Wake was undersized as well but has the frame to add weight and his stats were far above everyone elses when he was here. Baggs could maybe fit as a situational rusher on a 3-4 team.

Wake and Jeanty are both solid players but Wilson hasnt shown anything other than potential thus far, the thing is CFL De's need to be mobile and frankly the quality of CFL Otackles is pathetic.

Well Cam is basically a situational passrusher in Miami. I'd be fine if Baggs did the same thing here as depth.

I disagree on Wilson. At the very least, Wilson has shown that he is quality depth. I think he could be a starter in a 3-4 scheme next year.

Are there any CFL players you think could play in the NFL?

Archived