Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Serious Sleeper FA Target: Cameron Wake

method man

i went to penn state when dude was there, he was supposed to be the next lavar. he was real athletic, but didn't really have a mean streak to go with it. i woulda thought that he was gonna lose weight and go back to safety or somethin before he gained weight moved up to D-line. he got the potential though. if he's got the tenacity now he's worth a shot at D-line.

Update on Cam Wake... Indianapolis, New Orleans, Minnesota and Miami are the most interested it seems. I'm keeping a close eye on this being a CFL fan. Projecting him as a pass rushing OLB which makes the most sense to me after watching him play.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090115.wsptwake0115/GSStory/GlobeSportsFootball/home

G'damn. We've gotta get in on these sweepstakes. He would be absolutely great to have all over the field.

Wake was brought in for a tryout for a PS spot for the Broncos end of December: http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/dec/22/broncos-report-backfield-loses-two-more-to/

If the guy was worth it, I wonder why he didn't get picked up. Unless his agent is trying for a lot guaranteed.

The Cardinals and Dolphins also brought him in last week.

Dolphins signed OLB/DE Cameron Wake to a four-year, $4.9 million contract. The deal includes $1 million guaranteed.

It's a low risk, high upside addition for Miami. Wake played college ball at Penn State, where he made just 8.5 career sacks. He didn't make it the Giants as an undrafted free agent in 2005, but blossomed in the CFL. Wake rang up 23 sacks for the BC Lions last season. The Dolphins will likely start Wake out at outside linebacker and have him push incumbent Matt Roth.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/01/18/dolphins-import-pass-rusher-wake/

Dolphins signed OLB/DE Cameron Wake to a four-year, $4.9 million contract. The deal includes $1 million guaranteed.

It's a low risk, high upside addition for Miami. Wake played college ball at Penn State, where he made just 8.5 career sacks. He didn't make it the Giants as an undrafted free agent in 2005, but blossomed in the CFL. Wake rang up 23 sacks for the BC Lions last season. The Dolphins will likely start Wake out at outside linebacker and have him push incumbent Matt Roth.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/01/18/dolphins-import-pass-rusher-wake/

Wow...that really blows. That deal, in NFL terms, is peanuts...

Neither does Dwight Freeney but he's plays every down. IMO, 260 or 265 is big enough.

agreed.

having one DE that size isnt bad. having two could be. hes shown he can get to the QB with what...39 sacks in 2 years? have to see the rest of the line beside him. but he is a good size for a pass rushing DE.

There should be some more talent in the CFL....Thats where Mike Sellers is from (best/most under rated FB in the NFL). Kurt Warner is from the CFL 2 I think. Vinny better go do his research.

Yeah, I don't know how good Vinny is at the research.

As for Sellers, he may be underrated by the league (although he made it to the ProBowl after most of our votes were cancelled out correctly, the system worked) - but he is overrated by our fanbase. There's more to being a fullback than being able to plow over other players, which is probably one of the main reason the fans love him.

There's more to being a fullback than being able to plow over other players, which is probably one of the main reason the fans love him.

I think every fanbase overrates their team's FB. The actual position itself is highly overrated. Every broadcaster loves to talk about the FB, and they gush about every FB. I can't recall anyone ever saying that the FB wasn't getting the job done or was screwing up.

Really, how hard is it to be FB? You just need to be someone of a certain size, have decent speed and athleticism, and the desire to go out and play a position that isn't exactly high-profile and requires a lot of thankless work. You need players like that, but I think most, if not all, FBs can be replaced pretty easily. There's nothing unique or special about them. It seems to be a position that gets a lot of "not good enough"-type guys. Not good enough to be a RB. Not good enough to be a TE. Not good enough to be a LB. Not good enough to be a DT. But they have some skills and are willing to block, play special teams, and get abused. Let's put 'em at FB.

I love some of the stuff that Sellers does, but he misses WAY too many blocks for my liking. I see him getting mad at himself after plays far too often out there.

Archived