Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

John Riggins talking about skins on The Sirius Blitz

gobigred

John Riggins (Sorry)

Don't worry about it. Half these nitwits cannot get dressed in the morning without their mother pulling their undies up for them, but if they catch a typo in someones post they pretend they are combination NASA scientist and pultizer prize winning author . :laugh:

Thanks for the info.

Riggins just a hater. and he has a doublestandard because he did the same things and caused the same if not greater distractions.

Riggins wasn't a distraction. The guy barely even spoke. Hell, he never even spiked the ball. Eccentric as hell? Yes! Distraction? Hell no. If anything Riggins added more character to the team. The guy was 100% toughness and the last thing he wanted was to let his fellow Hogs down!

Riggins put the entire team on his back during the 1982 playoff run. Look it up. He had 177 carries that season and 136 in the playoffs/superbowl. Riggin's toughness was momentuous to the genesis of the Skins dynasty!

yeah he just checked himself into the emergency room at Sibley to skip practice.....thats not causing a divided locker room though.

er, hello - Riggins was loved by the team, so much that the Hogs allowed him to become an honorary member. Things were different back then, characters were allowed. I've never ever heard any inklings that any of Gibbs teams suffered from a divided locker room (Gibbs v1 I mean)

Riggins wasn't a distraction. The guy barely even spoke. Hell, he never even spiked the ball. Eccentric as hell? Yes! Distraction? Hell no. If anything Riggins added more character to the team. The guy was 100% toughness and the last thing he wanted was to let his fellow Hogs down!

Riggins put the entire team on his back during the 1982 playoff run. Look it up. He had 177 carries that season and 136 in the playoffs/superbowl. Riggin's toughness was momentuous to the genesis of the Skins dynasty!

177 carries in a 9 game season too!

Riggins=HOF, SB winner, and the best Redskin Back ever. I'll take his crazy, drunken, slurred word, b.s. philosophies over anyone's theory on what this team needs, any day of the week. He was right about the team last year and he was right on the money this year. He knows what he's talking about. He's just a little abrasive with his criticism. He doesn't like the flashy "me" guy, and when he sees it, he points it out with often venomous criticism. I love it personally b/c it especially gets a rise out the "modern" athlete supporters. I'm old-school baby. I hate the gold teeth, gold shoes, and the hip hop video shoots in the end zone and after a tackle made when the runner just gained eight yards on first down [cough cough Marcus Washington]. Give me hard-nosed football players with no interest in self promotion [cough cough Sean Taylor, Landry, Fletcher, Horton, Cooley, etc.]. I love me some 44DESL<------Loudmouth's license plate baby!

Hear hear!

I am also sick of this rap video gold tooth bull. I'd bench anyone who did any of that crap until they got bored or moved on. And I wouldn't care if we lost every game if we had a team who played like men for the game and for each other.

Don't worry about it. Half these nitwits cannot get dressed in the morning without their mother pulling their undies up for them, but if they catch a typo in someones post they pretend they are combination NASA scientist and pultizer prize winning author . :laugh:

Thanks for the info.

Well hang on, there's a big difference between a spelling mistake and NOT KNOWING THE NAME OF THE BEST BACK IN TEAM HISTORY and maybe one of the most famous.

Riggins was a work horse.I am sick and tired of watching a guy make a tackle and shake his head and pound his chest.Score and wipe your shoes? That's a lack of pure class.Its one thing to score but acting like you did something yourself is selfish and stupid.I would rather see the old days where the guys jumped up together after a score.Class acts just do the job and that's it.Moss just looked stupid to me after dropping several balls he should have pulled in.

lol @ Jim Riggins. And yeah, he really doesn't like Portis or Moss. Moss is a standup dude though, he just got carried away with that stupid penalty against Cinncinatti. I don't think he has a bad attitude or creates bad chemistry in the locker room at all. But, that's just my opinion.

I was listening to the Blitz this morning and a guy from SC asked John Riggns how the redskins could be fixed and man he really dropped some bombs. Here are some key points.

- There needs to be a Major makeover of management and ownership

- Dl and Ol needs to be upgraded. (he said that Jansen, and Thomas

getting too old. Kendall still looks pretty good as well as, Rabach and he

does not know what to say about Samuels but even had questions about

him)

-No playmakers on offense needs a guy to bring electricity to the team. (No

Steve Smith, Deangelo Williams on the team) sounded like a jab at Moss and Portis to me

- Feels Santana Moss is part of the problem in the locker room

- Not sure Zorn got what it takes to lead feels that Zorn should have

benched Moss after the the penalty in the Cincinnati game. He said

Moss cost team the playoffs.

-If not for London Fletcher team would have been 4-12

- Feels until locker room culture changes team will continue to loose.

I just found his comments interesting and followed a lot of the comments on this blog. I am so tired of loosing I am open to anything to right this ship.

Anyone takes what he says seriously anymore?

This reminds me of what a 16 year old first time poster would post on here.

I listen to Riggins a lot and like him as an annoucer. One thing though really hits me phony about him. He's main drill about the Redskins lately is the character and antics of some of the players -- mostly Portis and now Moss. But since when is Riggins the player about moral virtue and being an upstanding guy who played by the rules?

I don't mind that it wasn't his drill but it seems amusing to me that he acts as if he was all about being a good soldier and never talking or doing anything out of turn. One caller on a show took him to task about this and asked him about Riggins walking out on his coach after the season and stitting out. Riggins response was more or less, well, Redskins fans should thank me becuase I realized my coach didn't know what he was doing and that brought attention to the matter and we then got Joe Gibbs.

Well, fine, but how is that even an iota different than Portis calling out Zorn? Easier to argue that Riggins did it worse, considering Portis didn't sit anything out.

er, hello - Riggins was loved by the team, so much that the Hogs allowed him to become an honorary member. Things were different back then, characters were allowed. I've never ever heard any inklings that any of Gibbs teams suffered from a divided locker room (Gibbs v1 I mean)

SO you're admitting that there's a double standard.

i listen to riggins a lot and like him as an annoucer. One thing though really hits me phony about him. He's main drill about the redskins lately is the character and antics of some of the players -- mostly portis and now moss. But since when is riggins the player about moral virtue and being an upstanding guy who played by the rules?

I don't mind that it wasn't his drill but it seems amusing to me that he acts as if he was all about being a good soldier and never talking or doing anything out of turn. One caller on a show took him to task about this and asked him about riggins walking out on his coach after the season and stitting out. Riggins response was more or less, well, redskins fans should thank me becuase i realized my coach didn't know what he was doing and that brought attention to the matter and we then got joe gibbs.

Well, fine, but how is that even an iota different than portis calling out zorn? Easier to argue that riggins did it worse, considering portis didn't sit anything out.

qft

I'm disappointed in Riggins continued trashing of the team. He was a great player and I have fond memories of watching the team grind out the 2nd half of a game with Gibbs having them run the Riggo Drill.

I'm also disappointed in Portis' comments to the media. He is also a great player and I have great memories of his first touch at FedEx field, torching Tampa on a busted Counter Trey. I love watching Portis get going and breaking off consistent 5+ yard runs as a defense wears down (despite this not happening often b/c our passing game is so out of sync). I also love watching Portis block!

Finally, I was disappointed in Moss' theatrics. It was unnecessary showboating, but I saw it as him trying to add a "spark", get the team pumped up. The penalty probably had the opposite effect, but I'm sure it wasn't the intent and he may have simply not realized that using his handtowel would consititue using a "prop".

Back to Riggins vs. Portis, though..... Fact is that they are two entirely different players in two entirely different eras. Portis has run his mouth in the media ever since he's been here. How soon we forget when he took shots at Gibbs in the media too.... (I no longer remember the specifics, sorry) But Gibbs tolerated it because he produced. I daresay Zorn tolerates it for much of the same reason.... Portis produces!

Where is the evidence that these antics of Moss & Portis are "dividing" the locker room? The CLOSEST anyone has come to suggesting there is a problem in the locker room were Campbell's comments about some players "desire" and that there may be shocking personel changes this off-season. Speculate and read into that all you want, but I can name ten other players on offense whose "desire" I would question before Portis'. (IMO, Moss is an unknown factor, in that regards...)

Riggins is correct on all his points.

As currently constructed, this team is flawed in way too many aspects to ever win consistently. Here's what we have:

* An average quarterback who has shown an inability to create plays on his own. If everyone else on offense performs perfectly, he can be a passable QB. If any other aspect breaks down on any play, he's usually in trouble.

* An aging offensive line delivering steadily decreasing results.

* A solid starting running back who has lost his breakaway speed and who is at the mercy of the aforementioned aging offensive line.

* A top-tier tight end whose numbers are inflated by the fact that he is our average quarterback's security blanket. Still, this is our best position on offense.

* A completely deficient set of wide receivers without a true #1 option. Our de facto #1 option is a midget whose ego is much bigger than his heart - the penalty against the Bengals was the final straw for me. Anyone who celebrates himself after scoring a TD to pull within 10 points of a terrible team is simply a loser. Moss has had great moments as a Redskin, but he's not a true #1, and he should be replaced as #1 by a bigger, stronger receiver and demoted to the #2 spot or released this offseason.

* A defense that put up solid numbers, but that in the final 2/3 of the season too often failed to stop opponents when it had to - with the game on the line in the 4th quarter.

* An unproven head coach who demonstrated no acumen for mid-season philosophical or situational adjustments, let alone mid-game adjustments.

* A borderline-retarded front office that is the laughingstock of the rest of the league.

Pretty depressing stuff. But until many of these things are addressed and changed, we are looking at a string of 4-12 type seasons for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for the info.

You didn't capitalize Pulitzer.

j/k

:rolleyes:

I'm disappointed in Riggins continued trashing of the team. He was a great player and I have fond memories of watching the team grind out the 2nd half of a game with Gibbs having them run the Riggo Drill.

I'm also disappointed in Portis' comments to the media. He is also a great player and I have great memories of his first touch at FedEx field, torching Tampa on a busted Counter Trey. I love watching Portis get going and breaking off consistent 5+ yard runs as a defense wears down (despite this not happening often b/c our passing game is so out of sync). I also love watching Portis block!

Finally, I was disappointed in Moss' theatrics. It was unnecessary showboating, but I saw it as him trying to add a "spark", get the team pumped up. The penalty probably had the opposite effect, but I'm sure it wasn't the intent and he may have simply not realized that using his handtowel would consititue using a "prop".

Back to Riggins vs. Portis, though..... Fact is that they are two entirely different players in two entirely different eras. Portis has run his mouth in the media ever since he's been here. How soon we forget when he took shots at Gibbs in the media too.... (I no longer remember the specifics, sorry) But Gibbs tolerated it because he produced. I daresay Zorn tolerates it for much of the same reason.... Portis produces!

Where is the evidence that these antics of Moss & Portis are "dividing" the locker room? The CLOSEST anyone has come to suggesting there is a problem in the locker room were Campbell's comments about some players "desire" and that there may be shocking personel changes this off-season. Speculate and read into that all you want, but I can name ten other players on offense whose "desire" I would question before Portis'. (IMO, Moss is an unknown factor, in that regards...)

Good post!

Archived