Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why can't we ever develop our own "star" players?

killerbee99

best pizza chain all food items considered  

114 members have voted

1. 1. best pizza chain all food items considered

• Dominos
    • Papa John's
    • Pizza Hut (who am i kiddin, no one likes pizza hut)

I have just been sitting and watching all thede games today, and a thought hit me, why can't we ever develop our own star players. Ever since we had the Hogs, Darrell Green, and Charles Mann, I can't for the life of me figure out why we never seem to have that player other teams want that we "developed" ourselves. Since 1998, when we took Chris Champ Bailey, Samuels and Lavar Arrington, there have only been a handful of players like maybe 4 (Sean Taylor, Chris Cooley and Laron Landry) that I can think of as being star players we developed. Even though, technically they were already pretty good since they were all first round picks apart from Cooley.

Why is it we always covet players from other teams that they developed, for instance like some folks saying we should sign Sproles, a scatback when we can just draft our own. Why can't we ever draft our own wildcat offense WR/QB like Pittsburgh did when they drafted ARE, whom by the way we had to pay out of the rear for and get nothing in return in terms of production. Why can't we draft White from WVU who could be our own QB/WR player or a good scatback in the late rounds who we can have as our breakway speed guy (like Norwood RB ATL) that almost every team in the NFL has except for the skins (Giants = Bradshaw,Ward , Cowboys = Choice, Eagles = Buckhalter, Moats, Redskins = Betts, Catwright(slowest kick returner ever))

Look, my point is this, this team needs to be built to win the NFC East first and foremost, which is pretty much running and stopping the run, then getting to the NFC EAst QB's who are pretty damn good, and maybe for once DEVELOP our players and make our own role players and stars, develop them, and be the beast of the NFC East. I am sick and tired of every year looking at my beloved Skins and just seeing a crappy product being put on the field and every year having to wait till the next year. Lets draft our own ARE(Steve White), our own scatback speed guy (whomever we can find in the draft) and develop them, for God's sake let's be relevant again in the NFC East and NFL.

OK, rant over :rant:

I have just been sitting and watching all thede games today, and a thought hit me, why can't we ever develop our own star players. Ever since we had the Hogs, Darrell Green, and Charles Mann, I can't for the life of me figure out why we never seem to have that player other teams want that we "developed" ourselves. Since 1998, when we took Chris Champ Bailey, Samuels and Lavar Arrington, there have only been a handful of players like maybe 4 (Sean Taylor, Chris Cooley and Laron Landry) that I can think of as being star players we developed. Even though, technically they were already pretty good since they were all first round picks apart from Cooley.

Why is it we always covet players from other teams that they developed, for instance like some folks saying we should sign Sproles, a scatback when we can just draft our own. Why can't we ever draft our own wildcat offense WR/QB like Pittsburgh did when they drafted ARE, whom by the way we had to pay out of the rear for and get nothing in return in terms of production. Why can't we draft White from WVU who could be our own QB/WR player or a good scatback in the late rounds who we can have as our breakway speed guy (like Norwood RB ATL) that almost every team in the NFL has except for the skins (Giants = Bradshaw,Ward , Cowboys = Choice, Eagles = Buckhalter, Moats, Redskins = Betts, Catwright(slowest kick returner ever))

Look, my point is this, this team needs to be built to win the NFC East first and foremost, which is pretty much running and stopping the run, then getting to the NFC EAst QB's who are pretty damn good, and maybe for once DEVELOP our players and make our own role players and stars, develop them, and be the beast of the NFC East. I am sick and tired of every year looking at my beloved Skins and just seeing a crappy product being put on the field and every year having to wait till the next year. Lets draft our own ARE(Steve White), our own scatback speed guy (whomever we can find in the draft) and develop them, for God's sake let's be relevant again in the NFC East and NFL.

OK, rant over :rant:

Good point about building from within. I still think we're set at O-line with Buges, and questionable at all other positions coaching wise.

They've done a fair bit of it. C.Rogers is a solid CB, Horton was a 7th round steal. Cooley is a pro bowler, Landry is a star in the making. Let's not forget, the trio of receivers taken last year. at least one of them better develop into 'star' or the skins will be in serious trouble.

Also, we have Colt Brennan, he will be a Super star. ;)

Talent evaluator's in the FO.
I wish the Skins would look at two issues: 1. The best scouts and GM in the NFL, to regularly make the picks and FA signings that make us look smart (like the Horton pick, like the Patriots have a reputation of doing)

2. The best coaches including positional coaches, to teach our guys technique, teamwork, and indivdual skills better than anyone in the league. (like Buges reputation) Which would also make our picks and FAs look better over time. i think that's what kilerbee meant by developing.

I don't think we're the best in the NFL at that, and those are areas Danny could splurge on with no cap consequences.

We've had about 18 years of crappy drafting where we only drafted and/or developed less than 5 all pros. This trend pre-dates Snyderrato. We were crappy for most of the '90s as well. We REALLY need someone to come in and right the ship for a solid 10+ years to re-establish the franchise out of mediocrity.

Could it be our fans never give ANYONE a chance? How would you like to go to work everyday and anyone you see thinks you guys should be fired (demoted) for the guy behind you? Many fans bash Los as well as JC and I think that Los played very well this year and especially after knee surgery. JC has only started 2 seasons worth of games and fans want him gone.

Chris Samuels

Chris Cooley

Laron Landry

Sean Taylor

Carlos Rogers

Rocky McIntosh

Chris Horton

Jason Campbell

Pretty good if you ask me.

I was about to say... Sean Taylor came to mind. Landry and Cooley are up there, and I think Horton will end up a star player as well.

One major issue this franchise has is that we are stuck in the past. We're not the Hogs, we're not the Smurfs, we're not Riggo and Monk and Theisman and Green. We have yet to embrace the changes the rest of the league has undergone. We were one of the few teams that didn't have some semblance of the Wildcat formation. We have never embraced a more open passing attack (outside of the Spurrier years). We have not done anything innovative since '82. We've become irrelevant on the NFL landscape.

If we would have kept Schottenheimer we could have become relevant. If we would have gotten Ron Wolf in '02, we could have become relevant. If we get Cowher, we can again become relevant. Otherwise I suspect we will remain irrelevant for the foreseeable future.

Chris Samuels-star

Chris Cooley-star

Laron Landry-potential star if he's not playing 30 yards away from the action

Sean Taylor-RIP but was a star

Carlos Rogers-average

Rocky McIntosh-average

Chris Horton-decent

Jason Campbell-TBD

Pretty good if you ask me.

We've got 3 players on our team that most teams would consider an upgrade over whomever is currently manning that position. Rogers, McIntosh, Horton & JC are not in that category.

Carlos is easily in that category. He's been one of the best corners in the league this year.

A CB who can't catch, has routinely been beaten for TD throughout his career and was relegated to the 3rd CB for the final 4 games of the season is not in that category. He had a great first 7 games of the year but did zip the 2nd half of the season. He's not a game changer nor does he change field position. He's a solid #2 CB, nothing more-nothing less.

Could it be our fans never give ANYONE a chance? How would you like to go to work everyday and anyone you see thinks you guys should be fired (demoted) for the guy behind you? Many fans bash Los as well as JC and I think that Los played very well this year and especially after knee surgery. JC has only started 2 seasons worth of games and fans want him gone.

I wouldn't care much, because I'm being paid millions of dollars to play football.

pain trainwhich some teams dont have a #2 corner at that, the colts dont, the browns dont, nor the lions, nor the bengals and etc. he is a better cb then you RTEALLY think and im sure when you watched him play you was enjoyin him shut down the 7 #1 wide receivers he had to play against. #1 wide receiver bein shut down by a #2 cb makes me believe that he is a #1 cb. just cant catch

Why the hell does everyone beat Rock Cartwright. I'm done expecting TDs from him but he constantly takes it out past the 25 mark with our terrible blocking and makes something out of nothing on every play.

Also, why do we forget Fletcher on everything?

Vinny.....and awful coaching.

Even under Gibbs 2, our coaching was lacking in many areas.

The qb coaching.....the rb coaching....and the wr coaching were all pathetic.

We just aren't on the level of a great organization at this point. We can't compete with the best.

If you look back, we were doing a good job of drafting/signing good rookie talent.

Champ Bailey, Antonio Pierce, Derrick Dockery, Jon Jansen, Steven Davis, .

But I think the problem really is that we had a gibbs/Casserly style front office, which favored proven veterans over rookies. So under our Norv years we did a lot of rebuilding through free agency as well as the draft, and more of the players that we remember are the free agents.

Lately, I think the fact that our team has been so built through free agency has kinda allowed us to ingore the draft almost completely. Thankfully Vinny kinda invested in the draft and UDFAs last year. Hopefully a lot of them pan out.

Why the hell does everyone beat Rock Cartwright. I'm done expecting TDs from him but he constantly takes it out past the 25 mark with our terrible blocking and makes something out of nothing on every play.

Also, why do we forget Fletcher on everything?

Fletcher is not home grown but you are right. Our D would be ranked 5-10 spots lower if he didn't play for us. And I really like Rock. He returns kicks the way they're supposed to. Up the gut, one quick cut and up the field.

Part of the problem is our scheming.

We have a defense that for years now clearly doesn't emphasize turnovers or sacks. You don't get "star" defensive players by having guys that play the run well, you need guys who get picks or fumbles and take them back for 6, or get between 12-15 sacks a season.

Sean Taylor was our only guy headed in that direction, even in our defensive scheme.

On offense, I'd say Portis is a pretty big star RB, especially in 2005 when he was doing those costumes all the time.

Cooley's also a decent name as a top TE in the league.

Otherwise that's about it. I mean we're an 8-8 team that went 9-7 the year before and 5-11 in 2006. How many star players do you really expect out of a squad like that?

Yeah a friend of mine and I were just going over the Redskins drafts from year to year and they have been terrible with the exception of maybe 2-3 drafts.

Oh and we should have kept Marcus Mason.

The Skins tend to only want Verteran guys, not develop draftees/rookies and ship guys out that end up being stars on other teams. To me it also indicates they don't have good enough coaches to bring the best out of the young players they do get.

Archived