Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which Assistants Should Go?

Thinking Skins

Forget to mention that were a quote by Bugel in this past weekend's post where he said he wouldn't want to bench his guys that he has in. He feels too loyal to veterans. You cant have a coach these days with those kinds of loayalites

I didn't hear that, but I know Gibbs had an annoying loyalty to vets over younger players and it used to piss me off to the utmost extent (remember that guy Holdman starting 14 games over Rocky McIntosh????). I wonder how many of our coaches have a similar feeling to this. It wouldn't surprise me if Buges and others feel like this and have been telling Zorn not to play the younger guys because of it.

Joe Bugel-Sorry to say it. I thank Bugel for everything he's done, but now is a time to go in a different direction. We need to improve our pass protection and that starts here.

Johnn Palermo- we saw a defensive line generate zero pass rush. Our players on our dlline aren't great, but were better than that.

Stan Hixon- we need a wr coach who knows the west coast offense

Stan Hixon. Period.

This dude, I remember somebody made a post on him last offseason. This dude had almost no experience when we brought him in. Since then, he has been handed talent after talent only to see nobody live up to their potential.

ACTUALLY IMPROVED:

Santana Moss has played better since he got here. But he already had a 1000+ yd. season before he came here. I do believe he has elevated his game to a new level, but he is the exception not the rule.

STAYED RELATIVELY CONSTANT:

Antwaan Randle-El...all I can say is that at least he didn't regress. However, he still hasn't developed into the #2 threat we were hoping he would become.

REGRESSED WITH US, THEN BROKE OUT SOMEWHERE ELSE:

David Patten, Brandon Lloyd - two guys who regressed when they got here, and then had solid seasons playing for other organizations.

REGRESSED WITH US, NEVER RE-EMERGED:

Rod Gardner, James Thrash

Obviously, the argument can be made that he hasn't been given the talent to succeed. Yet year after year we dump money and resources into the wide receiver position, hoping for results. And every year we fail to see results. This guy has been given 2 former first rounders, 1 former 2nd rounder as well as 2 second rounders of his own, and at least 1 former 3rd rounder. There should be more than 1 good receiver in this bunch, no matter how ****ty your GM is. Even Matt Millen drafted Calvin Johnson and Roy Williams.

This guy has got to go.

With Mike Holmgren retiring, why not go after some of his staff to help with the WCO. How about get rid of Sherman Smith and try to get Gil Haskell, Seattle's off. coord., who has been around Holmgren's WCO system for years?
Haskell is certainly an interesting thought.

I wonder though who Mora is going to keep around for his staff? Is he going to still the run WCO even?

Sherman Smith seems like a great guy, but Zorn really needs someone like Haskell to call the plays for him and worry about running the offense, while he handles the QBs and HC duties. Smith just ain't getting it done for him in that department.

Sigh: Who knows, it seems we're damn if we do and damned if we don't. We just can't win for losing.

Frankly, firing coaches will make things even worse while still keeping the head coach. Let's just get the 2009 season over with and start from scratch, because that's where we're headed.

Let Zorn coach another year and see what happens. Because with him still calling the plays we're doomed.

Stan Hixon. Period.

This dude, I remember somebody made a post on him last offseason. This dude had almost no experience when we brought him in. Since then, he has been handed talent after talent only to see nobody live up to their potential.

ACTUALLY IMPROVED:

Santana Moss has played better since he got here. But he already had a 1000+ yd. season before he came here. I do believe he has elevated his game to a new level, but he is the exception not the rule.

STAYED RELATIVELY CONSTANT:

Antwaan Randle-El...all I can say is that at least he didn't regress. However, he still hasn't developed into the #2 threat we were hoping he would become.

REGRESSED WITH US, THEN BROKE OUT SOMEWHERE ELSE:

David Patten, Brandon Lloyd - two guys who regressed when they got here, and then had solid seasons playing for other organizations.

REGRESSED WITH US, NEVER RE-EMERGED:

Rod Gardner, James Thrash

Obviously, the argument can be made that he hasn't been given the talent to succeed. Yet year after year we dump money and resources into the wide receiver position, hoping for results. And every year we fail to see results. This guy has been given 2 former first rounders, 1 former 2nd rounder as well as 2 second rounders of his own, and at least 1 former 3rd rounder. There should be more than 1 good receiver in this bunch, no matter how ****ty your GM is. Even Matt Millen drafted Calvin Johnson and Roy Williams.

This guy has got to go.

:applause::applause::applause: With all the coaching changes going on, I am really hoping the Skins can find a bona-fide NFL WRs coach. Hixon seems to be a better fit for the NCAA. We need a good WR coach to develop Kelly and Thomas, and whatever FA WR we bring in. Since coming here, Hixon's track record for developing talent has not been good.

I'd keep everyone. More likely than not, we are going to lose some great defensive coaches to promotion by other teams and that is all we should worry about.

If I have to put someone on the hot seat, I'd go with Palermo. He's new, I don't know much about him, he failed to make Erasmus James back into a star (was his college coach), and the DL sucked worse than usual. Then again, Greg Blache is an amazing DC even though he was responsible for crappy lines in recent years when he held that position.

With Mike Holmgren retiring, why not go after some of his staff to help with the WCO. How about get rid of Sherman Smith and try to get Gil Haskell, Seattle's off. coord., who has been around Holmgren's WCO system for years?

this was actually my motivation for posting this. I don't think that somebody like Smith will go, but there could be a chance that we hire some coaches from Seattle's offense to suppliment guys like Hixon or S. Smith.

Hixon and Smith are the two obvious ones. Interestingly, every ST guy always praises Smith, so maybe we just don't know the whole story. Our coverage teams are always good and Rock is pretty solid, so who knows. Maybe Suisham & inconsistent punting make him look worse than he really is.

Maybe they praise (Danny) Smith because they don't want to lose their job.

Danny Smith--- ST has been below par since hes been here and he wanted brooks:doh:

Stan Hixon--- Our WR's performed below par and several passes JC did throw on mark were dropped:doh:

John Palermo--- NO pass rush from our D--- although the last 2-3 games Jason Taylor was looking more like the Jason Taylor pro-bowler but still the lack of pass rush gave opposing QB's all day and allowed opponets to develop nothing into something

Archived